Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts with disabled or half day passes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd be interested to know how you handle skiing or if you do other snow sports instead?
I have these conditions but still hoped to ski as I used to but today I nearly died from exhaustion, leg & foot pain skiing on blue runs in Champery & Avoriaz? Some very nice men came to my rescue as it was clear I wasn't doing very well, quite farcical really. However I did get 2 rides on snow mobiles back to the cable car, which was great fun. I'd like to snow mobile again. I took too much on & skied too far.
Do you know of any special ski passes for disabled like 2 hour deal for example or is that just wishful thinking?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-01-18 0:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, I know that many resorts do afternoon lift passes or other limited time passes, but whether 6 of them would be cheaper than a week long pass I don't know?

As you are really asking a question on ski resorts rather than about a health condition, I'm thinking that you might get more informed feedback if you changed the title to "Resorts with special passes for disabled skiers" or "Any resorts offering 2 hour lift passes?" or something similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, my wife has (horrendously complicated) medical problems that mean she suffers from many of the same symptoms (but isn't hypothyroid or suffer from cfs as such). We can definitely relate to a nightmare run/return home in Avoriaz when it's all gone pear-shaped Crying or Very sad
By the sounds of it, you are managing more than she can but here's what we've found that has helped. Hemsedal in Norway did (2 years ago, at least) a limited use pass that gave 3 lift rides for about £10. They don't advertise it much (I found out about it in the lift pass office, when I asked about the cheapest possible pass) so you may need to ring them to find out more. I suspect the other Skistar resorts (including Åre and Trysil may do something similar). In France, the mega-resorts (3V, Portes du Soleil, Paradiski) only did half days at a few euros less than a full day; the tipping point vs a week pass is usually 4-5 days. I've seen mention of points-based passes in some places, but never actually used one - others may be able to help here.
Other than the lift pass, we try to get truly ski-in, ski-out accommodation as walking in ski boots is a killer for my wife (energy wise and for foot/calf pain). We also try to ensure there are gentle runs close to where we stay, so my wife can get out and do a gentle warm up, then go further if she feels good; home is close by if not. Finally, we've adjusted our expectations so a family ski day where we can all ski together is a special occasion - this last one is tough but it means we don't get so upset when my wife cannot ski.
Hope that helps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ray Zorro, Advice taken thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mgrolf, Ski-in ski-out only from now on then & gentle slopes but I was staying in Lausanne so that wasn't possible Skullie Can relate to the killer boots, I had to walk up a hill back to the ski rental shop in them, agony, longest walk of my life, I nearly took them off & walked in my socks. I did notice some skiers wearing soft looking ski boots with some new material that looked more comfy, have you seen them? Has your wife considered snow biking?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've seen quite a few resorts do points based passes where each lift is worth a different number of points. You buy points and can top up the card. Could work out much cheaper if you're not going to use many lifts each day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Livigno do a points based pass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flaine also do a points-based pass. They call it a beginners' one.....but it takes you right up to the top. Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Les Gets / Morzine they have lots of tickets, support and runs, seen the groups out and friends bring son.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think there are often a number of "not advertised" options in many resorts that may suit, depending on exactly what you want:
- limited time: e.g. am, pm, or say 3 or 4 hours
- limited area: e.g. beginners passes restricted to green/blue runs
- limited uplift, e.g. "single lift" tickets - which might work if you only want to do one or two runs in a day, although you might need to return to the ticket office more frequently.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think just about everywhere does short passes (maybe 2 hours, or half a day) and points passes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK I'll look for point passes. That didn't come up when I was searching, the least I found was 5 hr pass but in west Switzerland so was maybe limited.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can get either a 3 hour or afternoon lift pass for the Courchevel valley EUR44 compared to EUR52 for a full day pass https://www.skipasscourchevel.com/en/tarifs-3-vallees-courchevel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, some ski boots have walk/tour mode, and usually a more curved sole - a little switch on the back of the calf that allows the upper part (cuff) of the boot to move and you can walk more easily. Designed for alpine touring but better also for general walking. But be careful as not all touring boots are comparable with normal alpine bindings.

As my fellow Swedish expat @mgrolf describes, Scandinavian skiing may suit you. Most accommodation is ski-in ski-out. The resorts are smaller and you are less likely to be stuck out on a limb. In Åre for example, you could just stop at the bottom of any area and get the ski bus home if needed.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 16-01-18 22:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pila do a lift pass where you load up points and then spend them, a few at a time, on lifts. For example: 2 points for each ride on the baby lifts and 6 for the long ones.

https://pila.it/en/skipass-pila/vouchers-with-points/

Some other places have a similar scheme but they tend not to be well advertised.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy