Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharing a gondola with a pro and not recognising them...

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else had a similar experience ?.

Was in Courchevel the weekend before Christmas and found myself sharing a gondola for 5-10 mins with a chatty young woman who was asking if I was there on holiday etc., and it was only when I asked her a similar question in return that she told her she was there for the WC slalom races (in a manner that suggested she wasn't there to spectate), at which point I gave her more than a cursory glance and realised she was one of the Swedish team, but not someone I recognised, and as I felt suitably embarrassed to have already suggested that she might be there on holiday I didn't ask her name (despite spending the next few minutes talking to her about the calendar, training, and such like). Only afterwards via Google did I realise it was Sara Hector.

I guess most pros aren't that recognisable in their kit than any of the rest of us when on a gondola, but it's kind of 'nice' in these days of vastly overpaid sports stars that a pro skier would want to seek out conversation with an average Joe during a gondola ride.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shared a chairlift with Lyndsey Vonn once. Tried to hit on her but she wasn't keen. Her loss.

My daughter was competing earlier in the year, in a national schools competition, on the same day as the Jossi Wells big air comp was on at Cardrona, she was on the lift in her bib and some ozzie kids asked her for an autograph and a selfie Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just after I started skiing in the late 80’s, I was summer skiing in Saas-Fee, and was joined in the main Felskinn lift by the Swiss Female ski team who were there for training. So Maria Walliser, Erika Hess, Michela Figini and Vreni Schneider etc. My over riding impression was how small they were.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 2-01-18 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I shared a train with Bob Geldoff, and a table in a cafe with Fergie. Neither of them recognised me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I sat next to Andy Gray, top football striker, PFA footballer of the year and Sky presenter, all the way to Portugal. We chatted throughout the flight. I never let on that I recognised him. Or that I watched his debut and most matches he played for Aston Villa. He didn't let on that he knew I was a skiing legend either. We didn't talk about either sport, but West Midlands nightclubs featured heavily I recall. We agreed not to swap autographs. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going back a few years - friend of a friend was visiting La Grave for the first time and found himself on the same lift as a friendly American bloke. Thought he could help the American out by pointing out some of the classic lines - turns out the American was the late Doug Coombes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My daughter came home from Ski club one afternoon and said that she had a new trainer. I asked what she was like and she said that she was really nice and "a really good skier". Turns out it was Marina Kiehl, Olympic Downhill Gold medallist in Calgary in 1988.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
- turns out the American was the late Doug Coombes
Wow.... creeeeeepyyyy!

Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Thought he could help the American out by pointing out some of the classic lines - turns out the American was the late Doug Coombes

Is there a word for the sensation of mortifying embarrassment by proxy?
Mind you on TGR I remember a hilarious thread in which some US prorider under an alias (well known to many) started posting about his forthcoming trip to Chamonix only to get some well meaning but unsolicited and distinctly superfluous advice. To general hilarity.

Remember being told a story by an Australian guy who turned up for the meet in a London pub for a stag do a bit early. It was mid day and he spotted another guy about the same age who looked like he might be there for the same reason. They introduced themselves. He was also an Aussie. Friendly, easy going guy, called Mark.
So what do you do?
I race cars.
Really? A mate of mine races cars in australia too. Saloon cars. Won a couple this year actually. So what do you race?
F1.
F1? Oh poo-poo you're Mark Webber!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our daughter shared a gondola with Hannes Reichelt today, he was out for a leisurely ski, he lives in Radstadt too. Hubby was in the car park waiting for ski club to finish and spotted 'a tidy skiier' come down the piste! Brilliant! Ange Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Thought he could help the American out by pointing out some of the classic lines - turns out the American was the late Doug Coombes

Is there a word for the sensation of mortifying embarrassment by proxy?

Germans (as usual) have a word for it - Fremdschämen. Lit. remote/external shame.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs Skimastaah and myself once shared a lift with Madonna in Lech. She joined us on the Steinmahder lift a few years back, dressed all in black ski kit, it was only when she lifted her goggles and said "Hi" that stunned us. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got on a plane once to find Louis Walsh sat in my seat.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, awesome!

Skiing at Reiteralm carries a good chance of sharing a gondola with a racer given that they often train there. Sue & I were once in the Silverjet with Andre Myrher and Jens Byggmark.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rode they old Prodains cable-car up to Avoriaz one quiet afternoon in the nineties, with just the liftie, Princess Anne and huge bodyguard.

Me to P. Anne "Good afternoon Ma'am, would you like a ski lesson?"
P. Anne " ", looks out window.
Huge bodyguard bends down, whispers in Shep's ear "F*ck off son".
Silence to the top... Toofy Grin
snow report
@shep, Should have asked her if she fancied a Benson'n'Hedges - you'd be on the honours list by now...
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Going back a few years - friend of a friend was visiting La Grave for the first time and found himself on the same lift as a friendly American bloke. Thought he could help the American out by pointing out some of the classic lines - turns out the American was the late Doug Coombes

Coombs used to help out at la chaumine / the skiers lodge. First time I went there he showed up driving the shuttle from Grenoble picked up 3 of us, jacket had a Doug nametag and after a few minutes we figured it out. Real nice guy, explained what he was looking for when judging a comp.
latest report
rode an mtb uplift at the coastal gravity park on bc sunshine coast a couple of years back , had a nice chat about coil v air shocks on the way up with a nice young man , when we off loaded the bikes and he donned his red bull helmet and jumped on his very trick trek bike realised it was brendon smenuck , absolute legend Laughing
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, he used to live in the same apartment complex as a friend of mine, and would call the police if there was too much noise at the weekends
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, wink
ski holidays
Saw Nick (Crimewatch) Ross in a ski shop in Val D'Isere & bumped into Eric Cantona in the street in Tignes.

Didn't speak to Nick but I asked for a photo with Eric. He obliged but - despite my best endeavours - I couldn't get him to utter a single word. Shocking...
latest report
Many years ago stopped at some lights on Kensington High Street next to a very posh Daimler. Looked round to see that I was inches away from Princess Diana. I looked away immediately thinking I shouldn't stare. But I couldn't resist a furtive glance, only to discover she was staring at me! (Probably out of pity since I was driving a Ford Pop).
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Saw Nick (Crimewatch) Ross in a ski shop in Val D'Isere & bumped into Eric Cantona in the street in Tignes.

Didn't speak to Nick but I asked for a photo with Eric. He obliged but - despite my best endeavours - I couldn't get him to utter a single word. Shocking...

Should have said "off you go Cantona! It's an early bath for you!"

Rumour has it that gets more of a response. wink
latest report
Quote:

Germans (as usual) have a word for it - Fremdschämen. Lit. remote/external shame.

excellent - thanks
snow conditions
Overheard from the group that were in the queue around the same time as us as we all got off adjacent gondolas, whilst MTBing...

"Hurry up, lets get in front of those guys, they've got a girl with them"

The reigning UCI MTB downhill world champion doesn't always wear the rainbow jersey Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

The reigning UCI MTB downhill world champion doesn't always wear the rainbow jersey

ha ha!
snow report
flangesax wrote:
Our daughter shared a gondola with Hannes Reichelt today, he was out for a leisurely ski, he lives in Radstadt too. Hubby was in the car park waiting for ski club to finish and spotted 'a tidy skiier' come down the piste! Brilliant! Ange Laughing

Fantastic!
snow conditions
We were in La Tania last year, sat on the terrace of the Ski Lodge bar at lunchtime when I pointed out to my gf that the girl on the next table had amazingly perfect hair (don't ask!), almost like she gets it done regularly. I then looked at the guy next to her who was the footballer Craig Bellamy - this explained the wife's beauty regime!
He was there with his family - about 15-20 of them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I must be the only one who read the title of this thread and got completely the wrong idea about its contents!
Laughing
snow report
Got on a chair lift with Hugh Grant and Liz Hurley years ago when they were an item. They were great chatty folks to share a chair lift with. Mr biddypyat wasn't impressed because I got to sit beside Liz.
snow report
@snowornever, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lake Louise a few years back. We were waiting to take our turn for a run through a dual slalom course that had been set up for an annual pro-am fundraising event. Two of the Canadian women at the gates set off and one off them absolutely nailed the course. Shouts of "Go Karen" from the group. The woman in front of me says "Karen???" "Not Karen Percy????" (double Olympic medallist). "Fu$k! ... I've been trying to keep up with her all F'ing day!!!" Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
With regard to the original question, I have shared with many and not recognized them. So I can’t tell you who they were. Puzzled
snow conditions
I was living in Sweden during the eighties and I was riding in the forest with a swedish friend when we met a jogger who stopped and chatted about the horses. His face seemed familiar but I couldn't think of his name. Only turned out to be Ingmar Stenmark.
snow report
jedster wrote:

So what do you do?
I race cars.
Really? A mate of mine races cars in australia too. Saloon cars. Won a couple this year actually. So what do you race?
F1.
F1? Oh poo-poo you're Mark Webber!

Not ski related but years ago I was at the RAC rally. Bumped into two blokes in the pub and got chatting. The had foreign accents and were obvious petrol heads. After a while Colin McCrea came in, walked over to the table and started chatting. I nearly pooped on my seat. After a while I found out I was drinking with Tommi Makinen and Carlos Sainz. I knew they looked vaguely familiar.

Chris de Burgh (Lady in Red) hit me with a golf ball once. He apologised profusely and paid for lunch in the golf club afterwards. I insisted there were no hard feeling and gave him the 30 quid back. After he left the barman asked me how I knew Chris de Burgh so well that I would lend him money. Who???? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I once shared a cab with an actress called Debs, we were recording Drs. We were chatting away and here phone rang, "hi daddy...chat chat chat.
I was sat next to James Bond the thirds daughter. Ms Moore was off when we wrapped to there place in Gstaad!
snow report
The best I can manage is Chad Hugo - Pharrell Williams song writing partner and producer and fellow member of N.E.R.D.
We were having a beer in Basecamp at the bottom of the Galzig in St Anton and he came in with his mate and their girlfriends and asked could he share our table as the bar was rammed.
Nice fella, he was having a ball...I knew I recognised him but only after he introduced himself to me and my wife did it dawn on me who he was.

The best thing was, my wife had no idea who he was and was googling him under the table and his girlfriend caught her doing it.
"Don't worry no one ever knows who he is, it's fine..I just tell everyone 'he's the one standing beside Pharrell"

Really nice folk.
latest report
Airports for me, queued behind Bob Geldof at pastport control, hopefully never again as he stunk!

On a return trip from Frankfurt the wife pointed out that the chap sitting in front of us was Boris Becker who spent the whole time reading an artical about himself in a magazine!

Opened the car door for Honor Blackman once, she'd been at a rehearsal in the building i was going into, her car was parked by the door and I had stopped as I had noticed someone coming down the steps, rewarded with a beautiful smile and a thank you, class.
latest report
Dunno how you can recognise anyone with all the get up on.
wife changed her jacket the other day and didn't know it was her beside me on the lift.
snow report
I was sat next to Tilda Swinton in Frankfurt airport the year before last. After we caught our connection to Innsbruck Mrs M said "that blonde woman looked familiar".
ski holidays
We were inside sitting at a table in the Folie Douce in Val a few years ago while the X Games were on in Tignes, and a guy who'd been standing near us started signing autographs. We had absolutely no idea who he was, so when the people had gone we went over for a chat. Turned out it was Candide Thovex. Nice chap.

I think I've bored the forum with that story a few times Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy