Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les arcs food and beer prices

Poster: A snowHead
Flying out to les arcs Saturday . What sort of prices on beer and food can I be expecting to pay . Heard of some quite extortionate prices . Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-01-18 19:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been there for a while but think your tip off will be accurate, unfortunately.

Others will be along soon with the specifics, I'm sure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed in 1800 last year. Didn’t find it anymore or less expensive than any other large resort. 👍
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What we talking then around the 6-7 euros for a large beer then ? Read somewhere earlier a guy paid 11 euros for a beer !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could prob pay 11 euros on the hill or in a swanky bar but suspect most places will be 6-7 euros...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going on a bit of a budget really but can see that going out the window ha !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We paid €10 for large beer in 1950 5 years ago. Around €6 in Arc 2000.
The great skiing makes up for the prices.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been there a few times, and it is pretty pricey. There's normally a happy hour, so you can get a beer for around 3 euros. I had Grimberg in 1950 that cost me 11 euros each, and a hot chocolate next to the piste just down from 2000 that cost 9 euros about 8 years ago!

Restaurants on the mountain were also fairly expensive, around 15 euros for a main meal.

If going with someone like Crystal, you used to be able to buy a discount card for around £20. Well worth it, as you'll save that in a couple of lunches.

My top tip. In the 2000 horseshoe, there's a 'hatch' that looks like a burger van almost. But, they sell cheap food and drink. Combine some fries and a coke with a couple of rolls made at breakfast in the chalet/hotel and you'll eat for a few pounds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the tips . We are booked with Crystal so I’ll get on the Case about the discount card. Shall keep an eye out for that place in the horseshoe sounds ideal . Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're with Crystal, you'll probably be above the Fox, which is one of the places that do happy hour and not too bad apres ski. Unfortunately, Arc 2000 has very little character, so you might be forced into wandering down to 1950.

The lift is opposite you (allows you to avoid the short button if you have beginners), and the hotel at the top of it is open-access. Drinks are very expensive, but it's always buzzing in there. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the main horseshoe area, which you'll probably end up at for your Host night off.

If you have the area pass, skiing all the way over to La Plagne and back is a fair trot, but certainly possible if you're above beginner, and well worth the trip. There's a highway that runs down into Belle Plagne that's amazing, and has a really nice restaurant on it.

There are a couple of guys on these forums that live out in La Plagne, so they're definitely the best to give you specific places to try out. Despite the French lack of hospitality and drab town (compared to other countries), the Paradiski area keeps drawing me back because the skiing there is unlike anywhere else I've been, and difficult to stay away from. I guarantee you'll love it, especially if you're mile hungry snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"I had Grimberg in 1950 that cost me 11 euros each"

Bloody hell! Imagine how much it will cost in 2018! Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bergmeister wrote:
Bloody hell! Imagine how much it will cost in 2018! Shocked

There's always one, but as it's a new year, you're forgiven Bergmeister Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ratkinsonuk, imagine someone who never been to Les Arcs snowHead how whould they know there were no euros in 1950?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Staying in la cachette hotel in 1600 heard that’s the quietest of the villages . First time to paradiski really looking forward to it looks a great area !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Truckerg wrote:
Staying in la cachette hotel in 1600 heard that’s the quietest of the villages . First time to paradiski really looking forward to it looks a great area !

Ah! In that case, I've been of no use at all Laughing
snow conditions
When we go over to Les Arcs we always try the restaurants and bars in Arc 1950.

Makes the prices in La Plagne a real bargain Very Happy
snow report
Just got back from a week in Arc 1600 so my prices are fairly upto date.

Lunch. Normally we would end up spending about 20 euros for lunch in a waiter served restaurant consisting of a drink (beer, soft drink fizzy water - they are all about the same price) a main course of Plat du Jour (about 12.5 - 14.5 and of a quality much better than anything in the UK) or a tartiflette and a coffee.

Beer in the Abre (used to be the Abrevoir) 3.5 euros but a large one will cost more. I only bother with small beers. Of course part of that cost is going to the entertainment of a live band. A vin chaud in the smoking boar on the way down is about the same price.

If you want to cut the cost of lunch then a burger, chips and a beer in the Rocky mountain in 1600 is about 13 euro, but that was a couple years ago. A sandwich at one of the sandwich bars costs about 7 euro, but a bagette costs 1.05 from the bakers (their croisants at 1 euro are a rip off) a pack of good ham from the Sherpa 3 euro and a tomato not a lot. A good lunch for two at about a 2 euro each.

An eveneing meal in the Arpette restraunt consisting of vin chaud, a 1/3 litre of wine, a starter and a pierrade plus a pistuer to accompany you back down the piste in the dark costs 30 euro. It is only on a Wednesday night and must be booked in advance.

@Truckerg, I have an apartment in 1600. It is a very friendly place. with excellent skiing.

The eyewatering cost was the cost of lift passes. We paid over 1200 euros for paradiski passes for my wife son and me over Christmas and onl went to La Plagne once. Just buy Les Arcs passes
snow report
@johnE thanks for your reply that’s great thanks . Looking forward to getting out there now with all this snow that’s arrived . We have got full area ski passes came with the package but we did think of just getting les arcs passes but there we are . We are a mix of ability’s going some 1st timers so only 2-3 of us will really venture over and make a good use of the full pass . Thanks again .
latest report
For a cheap and cheerful light lunch you can get a large slice of pizza for about 3 or 4 euros in the Bulle Cafe on the side of the piste above Arc 2000. They also serve the cheapest espresso that I've had for a long time (90 cents) if you want a quick caffeine hit. It's small inside, so get there early or late, but on nicer days they put out lots of chairs on their snow terrace and an excellent music playlist with the dramatic scenery of the Aiguille Rouge towering above you makes it a great spot.

Another option for a quick and reasonably priced lunch is the snack bar underneath the Chalet de L'Arc restaurant, also just above Arc 2000. The restaurant is lovely but expensive, but for a cheaper option you can get good burgers, croques, fries, etc in the self-service snack bar below the restaurant. The American sandwich is a good quality steak hache burger with salad served in a baguette and topped off with french fries. Costs about 10 euros I think, and is way too big for one person unless you are looking for a blowout lunch and aren't planning on skiing in the afternoon.

The Wood Bear cafe in Arc 1950 is a good place for a light lunch which isn't filled with melted cheese and potatoes. Toasted bagel with salmon and cream chase with a side salad is my favourite, about 6 euros IIRC.
snow report
I'd second the recommendation for the Bulle Cafe.

There's also a sandwich hatch in one of the covered shopping places in 1600 which does really nice - and huge - paninis for about 8 euro.
snow conditions
+3 for the Bulle (or the Mushroom as it is referred to colloquially). Chalet de l'Arc take away as above, can get quite busy so you need to time it right. Sebastien in the Wood Bear (again, as per @rob@rar, ) does a good priced range.

Don't drink the Guinness in Belle Pinte in 1950 if you expect to have enough left for a pension.

George ('s Wine Bar, 1950) now has a 'pression' beer tap for those who are not so keen on his wine prices. Albeit - buying wine by the bottle, and leaving what's not drunk in 1 session behind the counter is the most cost effective way of drinking in there.

Meli's Snack bar, on 1950 main street, corner of the two 'through pistes' again for burger and chips is a reasonable VFM, but again, gets v. busy just before and during ski-school pickup, as many parents will meet up for a waiting coffee, and feed the ankle biters there.

@Truckerg, The full area pass is, IMO, a strange concept especially as they've thrown in 1 day transfer, 'free' with the local passes.
There so much to do in either, it is unlikely you'll explore the full domain on either side of the VE in a week (unless you're a first out-last in mileage junkie, and even then,you'd be hard pressed to cover every run) I guess it does give you that flexibility, oh, and apparently priority access to the Varet lift in LA. But you'll have a great time even if you choose to remain 'local'.

Our gold standard is 13 lifts in a day: that makes it about €3 per lift, so we're content with that. Of course, if we can get it up to 17, 18 or even as once this week to 19, well chuffed.
latest report
Only other to add would be Charly's at the bottom of the funi, since you're staying in 1600. 4-5e for good (and strong!) Belgian beers. Wine from 3 euro. Can be good for some quiet apres drinks.
snow conditions
And the guy who runs Charly's is really nice, too.
snow conditions
Have to check out Charley’s then thanks guys
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy