Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain restaurants - Mayrhofen/Zillertal

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone.

First post so be gentle.

We are off to Mayrhofen for the first time at the end of Jan and wondered if anyone had any top tips for where is best to grab a bite to eat on the mountain? We will venture up and down the valley I’m sure so tips for the other resorts are welcomed also. Just looking for big hearty meals as a reasonable price.

Thanks for your help Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DJH1989, Welcome to snowHeads!

If you get to ski at Kaltenbach then I posted info about recommended mountain restaurants on this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2742972&highlight=kaltenbach+restaraunt+restaurant#2742972
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
starting at the top of the valley....

Hintertux...all the restaurants are owned by the lift company (very rare in europe, common in the US) food is all high quality but for a special / different experience seek out the Spanglehaus (proper sit down service) which in below the Tuxerfernahaus, the Tuxerfernahaus has both self service and table service but can get very busy.

Mayrhofen / Finkenberg...awesome selection, personal favourites are the Schneekarhutte for a nice site down meal, Christina skialm at the top of the Penkenjoch, newly re-built and expanded last year and is famous for its roasted chicken! Also if you are a fan of a pizza and a beer then the penken park is awesome...buy a token at the bar and then go see the pizza man to place your order...make your own, max 5 toppings!....their is also the Vorgel Nest at the bottom of the ski route to Eggalm, before the lift up into Eggalm itself which is very good value for goulash etc.

Kaltenbach / Fugen...really have to the Kristalhutte and its sister venue the Wedel Hutte...both are awesome and very nice table service, not overly priced but not cheap cheap...Kristalhutte can get very very busy as it is the easiest to get to so we normally head to the wedelhutte, for cheaper eats then the Firnhutte, set just below the top of the 2nd stage of the gondola, very authentic and cosy and they do an awesome steak salad.

Zell and Ziller...i can remember the name but their is a place at the top station that sells the largest schnitzel in austria!!....share 1 between 2/3 people.

We will be in the valley from the 27th so ask away if you have any questions, this will be our 8th year in zillertal!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Perfect advice, exactly what I was after.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you go to kaltenbach, i can recommend the "marendalm" restaurant, turn left out of the top station of the hochzillertal gondola, and it down a short path and opposite the t-bar lift.
self service affair, and very reasonable, we had lunch for 4 with drinks for just under 50 euros last Christmas, following day we had to reduce the amount of food as we could not finish it the day before.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually Enduroaid, I'll be coming to Zillertal this February and it'll be my 2nd time. Last year I found only one good restaurant for dinner in Mayrhofen- Perauer. Do you have any other recommended restaurants?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
6 sleeps and counting till we go now and getting excited.

Sorry to bump the thread again but to echo @michald if anyone knows of good evening eating spots then I’m all ears. It is my partners birthday whilst we are there and in typical style I am still without a gift! A really nice meal out may well buy me enough time to get something either whilst we are there or when we get back!

If anyone can help a fella out it would be greatly appreciated
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJH1989, It's quite a few years since I actually stayed in Mayrhofen, however back then the Hotel Rose which is on the street going up on the left hand side of the church did a daily choice of 3 different 3 course meals which were reasonably priced. Opposite the Hotel Rose was the Restaurant Edelweiss which I also found to be good. Finally in the main street opposite the photographers shop "Foto Willy" Toofy Grin and one building down there was a restaurant called Grillkuchl which did good typical Austrian cuisine.
Hope the above is useful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Panne e vino - on high street, great Italian.

Steakhouse Tyrol - does a very good chateaubriand. One is enough for 3 adults or 2 adults+2 kids.

Edelweiss - the entrance on Pfarrer Krapf Strasse (where the central car park is) not the downstairs entrance. round the back. Great pizza or steak. If it’s sunny they have a nice patio area. Down sit downstairs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These are my favourite evening eats in Mayrhofen town.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gasthof Restaurant Perauer
Landenhof Restaurant
Both get my vote for evening meals.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys!
Perauer was my favorite too last year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DJH1989 How is it out there?! We're coming out on the 4th, can't wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @tango776

Weather report etc can be seen here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=3182340

As for this thread firstly I want to say thanks to all those giving advice. Everything tried so far has lived up to expectation.

Goulash at the Vogelnest. Enroute to Eggalm. Very good
Pizza at Penken Park also very good.
Stopped for a beer at Unterbergalm (Penken, far right on the map) really nice spot and food looked really good.
Hintertux -Tuxerjochhaus. Fairly basic place compared to some on the glacier but friendly people and the food was ok.(usual Austrian fair)
Arena Centre - Latschenalm. Self service but made up to order. If that makes sense. Very very busy at 1pm but good food again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DJH1989 Thanks! We'll go and try some of those out!
snow conditions
To continue my blow by blow account of current restaurants this week.

Today we skied Zell to Königsleiten with lunch at Larmach-Alm. Sit down affair so a bit more than expensive than the others previously mentioned. Very very good. Best roast chicken I’ve had in a while. Try and grab a waiter and ask for a table or you are down to pot luck with someone leaving close to where you are stood. There is also a self service part next door.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy