Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Idiots without / who can't put on chains & think winter tyres will be ok

Poster: A snowHead
@foxtrotzulu, You are you are Toofy Grin West Berks is way oop Norf wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Bones, chronic understeer at about a minute in though Very Happy

These guys don't seem to have many issues, and they're only in family hatchbacks!

http://youtube.com/v/z7WB8RxDpmA

Although the 1.5 hybrid Yaris I had last week sadly didn't seem to have the same capability, must have been something wrong with it.

How did you get film of me driving up to the ski resort?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got a set of chains today from Lidl for the sum of £9.99. Obviously won't be the best available but they look as good as anything the car hire companies give you and should be good enough for pretty much anything I encounter here.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a set of the Thule easy-fits & spent half an hour practicing inside on the spare tyre to get a feel for it before using them in anger. Seems like it will be fine but I'll be keeping an old pair of work gloves in the bag.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
McKenzie wrote:
I bought a set of the Thule easy-fits & spent half an hour practicing inside on the spare tyre to get a feel for it before using them in anger. Seems like it will be fine but I'll be keeping an old pair of work gloves in the bag.

I thought those babies were supposed to slip on in 12 seconds? What were you doing for the other 29 mins and 36 seconds? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Imprinting muscle memory, then doing it blindfolded with one hand behind my back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Spin Doctor, @McKenzie, the guys on this video have is mastered: (action from 1:40 mins)

http://youtube.com/v/C0fh2ahOIn0
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, you would think that Thule, of all people, would know that you need to put one set on each side, not both on the same side. Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Huh. Not impressed. All laid out for them tidily in advance (not in a boogers muddle in a plastic bag under a toboggan, two pairs of kids skis and a bag of shopping), it's warm and dry (the ground should be caked with concrete packed snow inlaid with gravel) and they are particularly easy chains to fit. I can normally do mine in a couple of minutes, before my hands freeze (I always use bare hands) though if the ground isn't flat beside (and behind) the tyre a bit of preliminary snow-flattening can be necessary. And when the ground is snowy I routinely have to lie down flat to get the wire behind the wheel to start with. And of course the whole thing is conducted to the background of a child desperate to go to the loo, or late for their ski lesson.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, Agreed. The test should have been done in the dark, with locals zipping past and showering you in slush, with a torch that your SO points the wrong way. Ideally, it should also be done with chains that are three sizes too small as well!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, @foxtrotzulu, and don't forget the dirty great big snowplough that pulled up behind you with the passive-aggressive gentle revving while you try to work out why your brow is sweating at the same time as your hands are freezing...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget (insert SHMBO's name) shouting "have you done that yet Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/cGARDx5-GiQ

http://youtube.com/v/EhO1ovQaLCY
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, @foxtrotzulu, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last time I put mine on I did it with bare hand, oh my gosh the pain! I do have thin rubber work gloves but find I keep losing grip.
ski holidays
The roads in Scotland yesterday (and probably today too) are marginal in places, especially near ski stations and their car parks.

I was in a queue from 8.30 am to 10am on the main road prior to the turn off for Glencoe. The photo shows the length of the queue behind me at 9am (the EXIF information on my camera is correct now that I have corrected the date and time). When I got to the front of the queue, the car park at Glencoe was full and I drove on to Nevis Range. Luckily I found a place in the car park at Nevis Range, but the conditions in the car park at Nevis range were not for beginners. 4x4 drivers who know how to drive, would have struggled in the overflow car park. Luckily I took a spade, and a brush, which I used to clear a space due to haphazard parking.

The worse conditions I experienced though, were in the dark early morning period a long way before I got past Crianlarich. I was struggling to drive at over 40mph and accumulated several tail backs which I let past eventually. In several places on sharp bends I hit black ice.

Pot holes are a serious issue on this road, particularly on the stretch from Fort William to Nevis Range. Some of the pot holes were so big that they covered the whole of one side of the road. Winter tyres might help in these conditions, but they are expensive to replace. Snow chains will not help much. Driving slowly really helps, but unfortunately it creates enormous tail backs.

Maybe there should be a park and ride system in Bridge of Orchy car park for those with only one person per car?
snow conditions
Drove from Claviere to Sestriere, then down to Bessè alto on Saturday night when it was snowing heavily.

Not many other cars on the road so no problems really, the trip down the Bessè alto was a right laugh. I was fine in a fwd car with winter tyres, didn't have any problems. A mate in an Audi Quattro went into a carpark at the bottom of a fairly steep slope in Bessè, and couldn't get out (not enough space for a "run up") so we popped on my new Track snow chains. It flew up with them on, first time they've ever been called upon.
snow report
I was thinking of a way to bypass the Glencoe turn off queue. Maybe if I added an electric motor?

snow report
Warning, OLD thread revive as I don’t want to go over the winter vs summer vs chains etc.
Just wondering if there is any point in having socks for my winter tires? I have been offered some for a tenner and am thinking why not.
I have chains and winter tires so don’t need them as such but was wondering if they would offer more grip than 6mm on my winters.
Any one with experience?
snow report
I doubt they offer much more grip than a fullish tread on a winter but as a lo cost lo bulk hail mary if you were to get stuck - why not?
snow conditions
I bought a cheap set for use with French hire cars. You can take an educated guess at the wheel/tyre size of a particular class and they have a bit of wiggle room. I have only needed them once but they worked very well. I don't think they offer anything over winter tyres though. Also, they can be a pig to fit in snow. I ended up having to jack the car up to fit them as the car was stuck in the snow and the wheel spin shot the socks off! Confused
latest report
Thanks, that’s a new way to “blow your socks off”. Very Happy
I have got them, well they are on their way. For a tenner I can ruin them and not have a care…
snow conditions
harrim51 It occurred to me that socks would be useful if your winters go below the 4mm depth limit. This is the point where it's recommended you change them because their snow traction becomes poor <4mm. But they'd still be good as low-temperature wet-weather tyres for domestic UK use, down to, say, 2½ mm, and you'd have the socks if it actually did snow. It's give you a fair few thousand more miles on your winters.
ski holidays
Seeing how this thread has been revived, some of you might like to read this to have a laugh at my expense Laughing

https://vw-4motionreview.com
snow conditions
So are socks ok if you have summer tyres?
ski holidays
Summer tyres are the main target use case for socks:

i.e. they allow a summer-shod vehicle to achieve the same level of snow traction as if fitted with winters or all-seasons. But only up to a point. And they are not going to be as good as winters/all-seasons on protracted tarmac↔slush↔snow transition roads.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 20-07-21 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Seeing how this thread has been revived, some of you might like to read this to have a laugh at my expense Laughing

Ouch.

Maybe you could turn the 4motion logo into a different kind of "motion", representing the performance of the stealership?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

How much have you harrassed VW and SMG on Twitter and Faceache? Usually the way to get any sort of customer service these days.

Yes and very amused at you no doubt smugly driving round Briancon and environs scoffing at the amateurs in their 2wd for ages.

Must admit the Haldex in use reviews rather put me off buying a used Octavia 4X4 a few years ago.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Socks are much better than winters when you have water on top of ice. In my previous apartment we had a 15% gradient after coming out of the car park with a blind exit so no run up possible. Going to work one morning I tried to get out and there was no chance, went to get out of the car with the engine running for the heater and handbrake on. Car started to slide backwards with back wheels locked. Stopped engine put in gear, car held fine. Fitted socks by rolling back a touch to get the last bit on and drove away with no problems. Maybe a unique situation but the difference was clear.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, a website is up for ever unlike social media, but I then use social media to link back to it, bit like here Cool

And as for driving around, l'd been doing that for numerous years in vans with just FWD so obviously such were my skills didn't really notice the lack of 4WD Laughing

That said even when I knew I finally did have a working 4WD I managed to bite off more than I could chew this past season exploring a trail to try and mitigate various Kms of ski touring approach, and just as well we had shovels Laughing

But the whole Haldex pump thing is diabolical, and as you know it's not just VW that use them, how many others are driving around with no 4WD?
ski holidays
I found socks very easy to fit, we pulled in just as the driver of the car next to us was holding up a chain to unravel it, we drove off with socks fitted before he had the first chain fitted.
I think the trick with socks is to avoid wheelspin, they have very good static adhesion to snow & ice, better than any tyre on wet ice but once the wheel is spinning they lose a lot of grip wheras chains will just dig through anything.
ski holidays
Get ready for a mild patch! I had a big puncture in my tire so have swapped for my winter wheels, expect a heat wave!
snow conditions
FrediKanoute wrote:
So are socks ok if you have summer tyres?

Unless you get into a very deep snow, you should be fine. On top of that with socks you can go 50mph on a freshly dusted road. Not a chance with chains.

My personal experience: drove up to VT on summers without any issue and only got stuck in a parking lot at the estate agency. Summers were in a free spin on a thin packed snow. Got the socks on and, drove off without any trouble. Next was a slope down to the apartment building with about shin deep fresh snow on it - again no problem whatsoever on the way down or up, including a tight three point turn.

I would still recommend having chains with you though. Snowmagedons do happen. Pick up the ones with external fit, so you don't need smaller rims.
snow conditions

This car in Val Thorens probably had snow tyres on, but no snow chains! The back end would not swing like that with snow chains...
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, they use studs when racing.

The track is at the bottom of our road.

http://youtube.com/v/KSIX1mQYLaw
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, given the strapline that's an odd comment Very Happy

As above, studs plus 4wd, rear steering, torque biased gear train, adjustable brake balance to promote rear stability/instability on demand of driver etc.

Added to that, they use the trajectory of the vehicle to steer it effectively by running with the back sliding almost continuously, a little like a forklift with rear steering does.

In essence, they throw everything at making it slip where desirable to navigate chosen path.
latest report
Here's someone struggling with just plain old RWD, summer tires and snow chains, what was he thinking going equipped in such a way

http://youtube.com/v/AsDgI6Ec3fQ

Very Happy
ski holidays
I was one of those idiots two years ago in Cervinia. Booked a four wheel drive vehicle with winter tyres from Avis and had this in writing. Got the resort, 100m from the hotel only to find out it doesn’t have winter tyres and we are stuck. Dig out the snow chains and found out they didn’t fit. Managed to get them on enough to drive 100m. Tried to drive away and found out I didn’t have four wheel drive and the wheels without the snow chains were spinning. Swapped the chains over and got to the hotel. Following an email to the Chief Executive telling them they could collect their car from our hotel and pay for our return taxi they sent someone with a four wheel drive car with winter tyres to swap over the vehicles. This year I was dealing with their executive office requesting a quote for a four wheel drive with winter tyres from Treviso airport to drive to Corvara. He responded with two vehicle options and asked which one I wanted to book. I asked him to confirm that they were both four wheel drive vehicles with winter tyres. Two days later he confirmed that they were neither. I’ve given up now and booked with another company and just going to pack a pair of gardening gloves and accept I may have to fit snow chains. Far prefer flying from Switzerland where it’s just a given it will have winter tyres but not an option this year.
ski holidays
As I mentioned on the other related thread, a problem with many 4x4 rentals is that the default ex-factory wheels are simply too wide to take chains. I've had this renting in the US as well as from GVA. OK, a 4x4 with winters is great until you simply need the chains and then you're in a worse position than if you were driving a regular RWD/FWD saloon/estate with winters that can take chains.
snow conditions
But don't all the chains have the list of sizes they will fit on the packet?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy