Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last Take at Skiing: What boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I am writing to you for some serious S*** thats been going on for a while now. Even though i loved skiing for more than 20 years, i cant stand my boots anymore!! So i have one more request before i leave this, my last try. So please try to help me as much as possible and read my whole post.

I want the best of the best of the best boot out their and i dont care how much it costs as long as it lets me ski, with no pain. I ski since 9 years old now im 30, and all my life i alays had pain in my boots. And yes the last pair of my boots where boot fitted by an expert recommended here ( i wont mention the name as i dont want to hurt his rep) and maybe it was not the bootfitters fault but it sucks, it gets to that point where i have to slide my ass on the snow while on speedy slope and unbuckle quickly and let my feet "free" its unexplainable pain and the pain gets worse when your in your perfect holiday with perfect POW and u have to just leave it their....

Whats my last plan! Get the last pair of boots.... my new research came out with some pairs of boots which i did not encounter earlier.

So here are a few: Dahu,Dale Apex, and Strolz and the Tecnica Ten.2 HVL

What do you guys think? Give me some reccomendation, where can i try these in france as i go their for my holidays? Any good bootfitter in france that you know that has these boots?

Edited: Some basic info: I am 173 cm hight, 40 eu foot (i know its small) 104 mm forefoot width, high instep....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-12-17 21:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@videoman22, pm me the bootfitters name if you like..or ignore this recommendation...Profeet every time for me.
Just because a bootfitter gets recommended doesn't mean he suits everyone. We should have the confidence to say if someone doesn't suit.. and I have alluded to one in the past.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx i am not in the UK anymore so looking for a French Boot fitter.
I understand he is highly respected in the forum and i am sure he is really good. He seemed to have tons of knowledge and i am sure he has helped thousands, it dident just work with me, this being said i dont want to harm he's rep as i dont believe it should just so i wasted a few hundred poounds....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you gone back to your bootfitters and talk about what and where it goes wrong?
It sounds like you have tried many?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hyst wrote:
Have you gone back to your bootfitters and talk about what and where it goes wrong?
It sounds like you have tried many?

@hyst most would kinda shift the dialogue to an external factor fault like the boot, or that they have done everything what they know.... They kinda never honored the money they recived by saying lets go through this till the end... Kinda let me their and had that attitude that they dident want to deal with it anymore...

Btw i have like 5-6 pairs of brand new boots sitting their some of them costume made....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@videoman22, in which case you should say who it is and they can have the right to reply

Anyway. ..where in France?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
APEX BOOTS - give them a try.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
@videoman22, in which case you should say who it is and they can have the right to reply

Anyway. ..where in France?

The best would be any ski center near Chamonix, Val Isere, Megeve

But to be honest i can travel even more for this if it is worth solving the issue
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KennyEverett wrote:

REviews are leaning towards more towards Doha, actually many reviews are totally totally against apex
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@videoman22 - Assuming it wasn't him who did your last set, Andy from Sole in Chamonix is a lot of snowheads recommendation

And if it was him who did them... have you been to see him about your problems? Has your bootfitter had the opportunity to rectify the problem? Bootfitters aren't part-time psychics, they can only work with the information they're given. I meet too many people who give a bootfitter one shot at it and if it doesn't work out they proclaim that the bootfitter is rubbish and is never worth seeing again. I think in any case you should give your last bootfitter another opportunity to correct the issue.

Also not being an ar$e but you are definitely doing your boots up correctly? Yes I know you've been skiing for a long time but plenty of people do things wrong, long term.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a thought. Have you tried approaching this from a completely different direction.

Go into a decent hire shop. get one of their 'comfort' models. size it up properly and see how it goes for the day.

The boots will be worn in, a bit flexible and might just give your feet more relief than something specifically fitted and new. If you're a decent skier, you'll be able to make anything that fits work well enough.

If that fails, why not visit a decent podiatrist, not a ski boot fitter, and just see if there's something odd about your feet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could there be a medical reason why boots hurt you so much? Considering that you have tried do many boots and fitters, perhaps you need to look outside the box?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1

@videoman22, Can you describe the pain?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
videoman22 wrote:
KennyEverett wrote:

REviews are leaning towards more towards Doha, actually many reviews are totally totally against apex

I'm sure you can find a whole raft of positive reviews for the 5-6 pairs of custom made boots you already own. A lot of good they've done you.

Maybe don't ask for advice then then simply thumb your nose when it is freely given.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@videoman22, sounds to me as though you have some other problem with your feet. The podiatrist advice is good. I would get my feet looked at by a medical expert before going out and getting yet another pair of boots that end up hurting.
snow report
dp wrote:
@videoman22 - Assuming it wasn't him who did your last set, Andy from Sole in Chamonix is a lot of snowheads recommendation

And if it was him who did them... have you been to see him about your problems? Has your bootfitter had the opportunity to rectify the problem? Bootfitters aren't part-time psychics, they can only work with the information they're given. I meet too many people who give a bootfitter one shot at it and if it doesn't work out they proclaim that the bootfitter is rubbish and is never worth seeing again. I think in any case you should give your last bootfitter another opportunity to correct the issue.

Also not being an ar$e but you are definitely doing your boots up correctly? Yes I know you've been skiing for a long time but plenty of people do things wrong, long term.

Heyy thenx for the info...

No i have never had a bootfit in France... Only in the UK.... If you read my post, i never said the bootfitter was rubish and thats why i dident mention his name, as i believe he is a goodbootfitter but maybe it just dident work for me....

I know sometimes longterm skiers catch bad habits and it could possibly be that i am doing my boots up wrong, but to be honest dont really think its that way... Please give me ur recommendations never know...
snow report
pendodave wrote:
Just a thought. Have you tried approaching this from a completely different direction.

Go into a decent hire shop. get one of their 'comfort' models. size it up properly and see how it goes for the day.

The boots will be worn in, a bit flexible and might just give your feet more relief than something specifically fitted and new. If you're a decent skier, you'll be able to make anything that fits work well enough.

If that fails, why not visit a decent podiatrist, not a ski boot fitter, and just see if there's something odd about your feet.

Thenx bud,

tried both have about 6-7 pairs of boots at home some where bought only to do that test ur mentioning....

Podriatist said my feet are wide and high instep nothing else... he actually said they are not even to wide... 103-104mm
snow conditions
ALQ wrote:
+1

@videoman22, Can you describe the pain?

The pain is mostly in two areas the outer part of my right foot (tuberosity of the 5th metatrsal bone) and the instep on both but moslty my left foot....
snow conditions
Hand made the Only way..

http://www.strolzboots.com/
snow conditions
@videoman22, it sounds as though you're out there for a while so it may be worth popping down to Courchevel and seeing the guys at Bootlab; http://thebootlab.co.uk/.

When I had issues I did, they first looked to see if they could modify my existing boots to overcome issues (they couldn't) so did the whole new boot boot-fit, sent me out for a ski, then back review/discuss/modify and retest!
latest report
@videoman22 OK so yeah why don't you see Andy at Sole in Chamonix? That's France, and he's well recommended.

But in any case I think you should stop trying to choose a brand based on reviews. If your foot problem is as you describe, you evidently don't have a 'normal' pair of feet so trying to align your choices by other peoples' perceptions of standards is going to be absolutely useless.
snow report
Quote:

I think you should stop trying to choose a brand based on reviews

+1
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I think you should stop trying to choose a brand based on reviews

+1

+2 or is it ++1
snow conditions
dp wrote:
@videoman22 OK so yeah why don't you see Andy at Sole in Chamonix? That's France, and he's well recommended.

But in any case I think you should stop trying to choose a brand based on reviews. If your foot problem is as you describe, you evidently don't have a 'normal' pair of feet so trying to align your choices by other peoples' perceptions of standards is going to be absolutely useless.

DP
I agree with the second part....

In regards to sole do you know the technique they use in bootfitting? In example do they do tests like put u out on the slope and see if its working and then again or how does it work?

Also do u think they have enough boot selection as my i have a odd number 40.5 eu number of 25.0 mondo....
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Hand made the Only way..

http://www.strolzboots.com/

Do they have this in France? or only austria?
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
@videoman22, it sounds as though you're out there for a while so it may be worth popping down to Courchevel and seeing the guys at Bootlab; http://thebootlab.co.uk/.

When I had issues I did, they first looked to see if they could modify my existing boots to overcome issues (they couldn't) so did the whole new boot boot-fit, sent me out for a ski, then back review/discuss/modify and retest!

Sounds interesting... What brands did they have? I really want to test the Dahu ski boots... ALso did they have many as my foot number is odd 25.0 mondo or 40.5 eu size
snow report
You need a more open mind about this, or the answer you may get would be along the lines of " I'm sorry, I can't meet your expectations "
snow report
Jeez, you can lead a horse to water... Laughing

++++++1 - stop looking for reviews of boots and go see a decent boot fitter. No idea what the issue is with the UK fitter you used or why they wouldn't follow through with the bootfitting (or at least, I think that's what you meant?) but most will follow up quite happily and it's very normal to need a few tweaks after a few days on snow. I think I've had my current boots worked on 3 times by the bootfitter who initially did them in order to get them just right (thanks Graeme!).

Or just ignore all the advice here and go and buy some of those hideous Dahu ski soft shell things as you seem intent on buying anyway - but I very much doubt Andy at Sole will fit them for you wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowboard = more comfortable boots. wink
snow conditions
This is just bizarre.

For anyone who doesn't want to read the thread... we appear to have somebody who has exhausted all previous options and in the desperate search for boots has ended up at Snowheads... yet actually they only want to listen to select pieces of advice from said Snowheads based on what is corroborated by stuff he's heard before (because that's been so successful) or what appears in random reviews on the internet.

@videoman22, what are you trying to achieve mate? You ask for advice but pretty much everything you get, you rebut it. You have a forum here with all sorts of knowledge, experience and ideas but it seems like you're just looking for somebody to agree with the assumptions that you've already formed, rather than answer your actual question. If you want to get anything out of this forum thread I think you're taking the wrong approach.

videoman22 wrote:

In regards to sole do you know the technique they use in bootfitting? In example do they do tests like put u out on the slope and see if its working and then again or how does it work?

Also do u think they have enough boot selection as my i have a odd number 40.5 eu number of 25.0 mondo....

Andy is pretty well regarded so whilst I have no idea what technique he uses, I am sure that it is probably relevant. 25.0 mondo is not totally alien so I am sure you will have options.

In terms of putting you on the slope... he's in Cham. Use your common sense mate. Go to the shop in the morning, get your boots fitted, ski in the afternoon. See what happens. Go back to the shop in the evening and tell him what the day was like. And repeat, and repeat, and repeat, until you are happy.

I did exactly that technique with a place in Livigno last January and ended up with boots that I'm really happy with.
snow report
dp wrote:
. Go to the shop in the morning, get your boots fitted, ski in the afternoon. See what happens. Go back to the shop in the evening and tell him what the day was like. And repeat, and repeat, and repeat, until you are happy.

Given your history this advice is spot on, book a week out there and prepare to go back every day! Even better book two weeks Wink
snow conditions
Did you ever take your boots back to CEM or speak to him about the issues you're having? Boots sometimes need further tweaking after you've skied on them.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, this has been pointed out to the guy several times already. As has also been said, horse, water...
snow report
Good video on how to do up boots:

http://youtube.com/v/6bjiy2pIcxE
snow report
@videoman22, I suggest that you stop trying to buy or even try a boot based on brand, buy a boot based on what fits, is comfortable and lets you ski properly. It doesn't sound like you have particularly special feet, so just go for a fitting and give proper and accurate feedback to the fitter to the best of your ability. If you're in a resort then, within reason, they should be okay with you skiing and making alterations to the boot.

As to whether certain shops have a certain size, do some of the research yourself. Phone the shops and talk to them, if they don't have anything close to what you need then you don't waste the journey.

Do you have custom footbeds to help deal with the high arches? If not then that could be part of the problem. Also you could be doing the boot up too tight or clenching your toes when skiing. I have a problem in poor vis where I clench my feet and get pains similar to what you describe.
ski holidays
@sj1608, interesting vid, thx.
ski holidays
I gave up here - it takes at least 2 person to fit a boot. Puzzled
ski holidays
dp wrote:
This is just bizarre.

For anyone who doesn't want to read the thread... we appear to have somebody who has exhausted all previous options and in the desperate search for boots has ended up at Snowheads... yet actually they only want to listen to select pieces of advice from said Snowheads based on what is corroborated by stuff he's heard before (because that's been so successful) or what appears in random reviews on the internet.

@videoman22, what are you trying to achieve mate? You ask for advice but pretty much everything you get, you rebut it. You have a forum here with all sorts of knowledge, experience and ideas but it seems like you're just looking for somebody to agree with the assumptions that you've already formed, rather than answer your actual question. If you want to get anything out of this forum thread I think you're taking the wrong approach.

videoman22 wrote:

Andy is pretty well regarded so whilst I have no idea what technique he uses, I am sure that it is probably relevant. 25.0 mondo is not totally alien so I am sure you will have options.

In terms of putting you on the slope... he's in Cham. Use your common sense mate. Go to the shop in the morning, get your boots fitted, ski in the afternoon. See what happens. Go back to the shop in the evening and tell him what the day was like. And repeat, and repeat, and repeat, until you are happy.

I did exactly that technique with a place in Livigno last January and ended up with boots that I'm really happy with.

DP,

For your first part im sure everyone can read its quite clear.

Second part, just because somethings are more complicated than others it does not mean that all members can reply. You would need much experience to stand where i am, and have many days on mountains. This being said there are enough posts where u can show off, this one is just not for you.
I will go on and on until i find a solution, unfortunately i will not accept something i tried and will tell the others that i have tried that solution and didn't work for me.

Have a nice life...
ski holidays
sj1608 wrote:
Good video on how to do up boots:

http://youtube.com/v/6bjiy2pIcxE

There where some minor parts that where interesting.... Very Happy Thanks
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@videoman22, I suggest that you stop trying to buy or even try a boot based on brand, buy a boot based on what fits, is comfortable and lets you ski properly. It doesn't sound like you have particularly special feet, so just go for a fitting and give proper and accurate feedback to the fitter to the best of your ability. If you're in a resort then, within reason, they should be okay with you skiing and making alterations to the boot.

As to whether certain shops have a certain size, do some of the research yourself. Phone the shops and talk to them, if they don't have anything close to what you need then you don't waste the journey.

Do you have custom footbeds to help deal with the high arches? If not then that could be part of the problem. Also you could be doing the boot up too tight or clenching your toes when skiing. I have a problem in poor vis where I clench my feet and get pains similar to what you describe.

Hi their, Thanks for your reply.

Hmm well sometimes due to experince i maybe am overtrying to find a boot that i think is the best. And most are giving me the same recommendation so this time i will take it and go without a prefered brand or boot Very Happy

I do have a footbed Sad Costume made, still same thing...

I guess now im trying to decide which bootfitter i will use in france and go without a opinion on the boot...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy