Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide, where to go if I fly into Lyon.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. There are possible cheap fare options for me flying from USA into Lyon. From there?, I have no idea. I have skied espace killy (stayed at tigne) and loved the skiing, not so much the town of tigne, but Val looked like a cool place to stay. Any ideas of a good resort to attach from Lyon?

Small family, me and daughter are good skiers, pretty much everything but hucking off cliffs. Off piste options a plus. Wife is more intermediate, so mtn/town ambiance is important. Other alp places we loved, zermatt, chamonix, st anton, although have had mixed luck with snow over the years.

Also, would I need to hire a car?, or are there shuttles from Lyon to ski resorts?

Thanks for any and all help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a vast range of options. Serre Chevalier springs to mind - caters well for intermediates, very good off-piste options in resort and close by - if you want to get roughy toughy, La Grave is just a short drive away. Alpe D'Huez - thought of by many as intermediate, but with a black run just about as hard as it gets (The Tunnel) and some very good off piste. Les Deux Alpes is another thought: a good variety of pistes, and a link - sort of - with La Grave.

Loads of other possibilities of course - those are just the resorts I think of in conjunction with Lyon. I am sure others will have their ideas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Redwine, Well there are several companies that do transfers from Lyon airport to the ski resorts e.g Bensbus or Ouibus. I see that Ouibus do transfers from Lyon airport to both Alpe d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes. You said off piste options a plus - if you stay in Les Deux Alpes you can ski from the top of the glacier at Les Deux Alpes over to the adjacent legendary off piste area of La Grave, but if you should decide to ski La Grave be sure to go with a guide!

As regards hiring a car then unless you are contemplating visiting several resorts rather than just staying in one then my personal view would be to take a bus transfer to the resort. When you're in resort you won't be using the car. With a bus transfer someone else does the driving, if the roads are snowy someone else has the hassle of chaining up if need be, and often if you do have a car you have to pay extra for parking in the resort (especially garage parking).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy