Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old ski boots - to update?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorting out my kit for skiing this year.

Can ski boots get too old? I bought my Tecnica's in 1999 and the plastic seems to have now gone not so pliable as it used to be.

I had a quick look at boots online (I will be buying at a shop) and they look so different, and a bit confusing. Could anyone tell what sort of changes have happened in ski boot technology in the last 20 years.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cinnypony, Yes, the plastic shell can degrade over time. You really need to go to a reputable boot fitter to see which boots would be best for you now. There are always technical advances and new materials being used and the new boots will certainly be better than your fairly ancient ones. Where do you live and you’ll get recommendations on bootfitters near you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old ski boots can "explode", as the plastic just gives up. After about 15 or 16 years, it is probably safer to replace.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My last pair were from Snow and Rock who were fab even going as far as melting a patch of outer shell to get them to fit my odd feet.

So would always go to a reputable retailer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cinnypony, Yes, ski boots can get old. I had a pair of Dynafit boots that cracked and fell apart, thankfully after I tripped up on the stairs at a lift, rather than when skiing.

Although plastic technology has improved over the years, most of the difference you are seeing is cosmetic / marketing. Apart from that, boots now tend to have better walk modes and better grip for walking. As always take advice from the fitter, and don’t buy ones you like the look of, buy the ones that fit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Always store boots and any other ski gear in a cool dark place and never buy boots that have been sat in a shop window, UV will cause damage over time.
The shells of my 20 yr old boots were fine but the inners fell apart. I was impressed by the ability and knowledge of the relatively young guy that fitted my new boots at Castleford.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy