Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving to stockholm

Poster: A snowHead
In a somewhat unpredictable turn of events, I am emigrating to Stockholm ! Its occurred to me for the first time in my life I will have snow on my doorstep. Anyone have any tips for snow from living in Stockholm. Is it possible to make day trips to decent slopes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just South East of Stockholm

Hammarbybacken
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hammarbybacken is on your doorstep, or rather a train ride away, but its just a short hill really, just going up and down.

We sometimes head up to Salen but its really a 5 hour drive so you have to stay overnight really.

Heading up to Are on Saturday, and this is my favourite Swedish ski resort but a 8 hour drive I think.

You could also head over to Lillehammer in Norway, but that is also a long drive (also about 8 hours)

Or you could have a go at cross country skiing and maybe do the Vasaloppet next February?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sack the Juggler wrote:

We sometimes head up to Salen but its really a 5 hour drive so you have to stay overnight really.

Heading up to Are on Saturday, and this is my favourite Swedish ski resort but a 8 hour drive I think.

You could also head over to Lillehammer in Norway, but that is also a long drive (also about 8 hours)

epic trolling, well done sir, man moves to Stockholm and is told to drive 8 hours to see snow! Of course with the speed limits in Sweden even the local shopping center is probably a five hour drive Happy

From what I read on the Alt-Right websites there is a low level civil war in Stockholm as the police battle it out with heavily armed drugs gangs. Even Wallandar makes it look a bit iffy with depressed murderers roaming the countryside.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-12-17 12:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

epic trolling, well done sir, man moves to Stockholm and is told to drive 8 hours to see snow!

he did ask if it was possible to make day trips to decent slopes, and I guess my answer is.... its best to travel a bit further snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sack the Juggler wrote:
davidof wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

epic trolling, well done sir, man moves to Stockholm and is told to drive 8 hours to see snow!

he did ask if it was possible to make day trips to decent slopes, and I guess my answer is.... its best to travel a bit further snowHead

Almost the Cork peasant answer in fact "best not to start from here" Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember [b]@mgrolf[\b] telling me much the same, Stockholm being somewhat maritime in its climate.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@escooler, welcome to Sweden! Around Stockholm city there are a couple of small hills, good fun for a day or half day: Hammarbybacken, Väsjöbacken, Flottsbro, Ekebyhovbacken.

Around 2.5 hours from Stockholm, for a weekend (or week with kids) there is Kungsberget and Romme Alpin. Proper little resorts built around 300m hills. Snow park is a big focus at Kungsberget.

At 5-6 hours from Stockholm, there is too many to list: Sälen, Kläppen, Orsa Gronklint, Stöten, Vemdalen, Idre Fjäll, Lofsdalen etc. All good family ski areas.

@Sack the Juggler wasn’t trolling. Åre is a 7.5 hour drive. Plenty of Swedes do it. We prefer to fly to Östersund. Or you can take a night train and get 2 extra days of skiing in. Åre is the largest ski area in the Nordics.

Then there are some great options flying to Lapland, especially for later season or touring, ie Hemavan, Riksgränsen.

This article is actually pretty good:
https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.thelocal.se/20130129/31982/amp. The skistar.se website is a good place to start.

To ski in Sweden you have to be a little more hardy - expect occasional extreme cold, freezing rain - but as they say in Sweden “there is no bad weather, only bad clothing”. But overall good value, quieter slopes, very few out of control idiots.

By the way, I’ve no idea what @davidof is going on about. Maybe there is some trouble in a few of the rough suburbs, but Stockholm is very safe in my view. Very rare to see any trouble, unlike most of the U.K. town and cities I lived in where fights and knife crime was routine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"there is no bad weather, only bad clothing "- that is Scotland not Sweden! wait , the whole UK!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent, thanks for all the tips, Couple more questions, as things are a bit colder am guessing the season is slightly different, is this the case, i have only ever been on the snow in the alps/spain. Looking forward to seeing something a bit different.

Quote:

From what I read on the Alt-Right websites there is a low level civil war in Stockholm as the police battle it out with heavily armed drugs gangs. Even Wallandar makes it look a bit iffy with depressed murderers roaming the countryside.

If those alt right websites were to believe I live in a no-go, zoned lawless part of London, where people are banned from saying Christmas and people are knifing each other...I am sure that Stockholm like all cities has its problems, but I may take their reports with a pinch of salt
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Themasterpiece, @escooler, I think @davidof, was either tongue in cheek (in which case looks like he failed) or fishing (in which case looks like a perfect score)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These are hard times, you can never tell these days - this snowflake was triggered.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugardaddy wrote:
@Themasterpiece, @escooler, I think @davidof, was either tongue in cheek (in which case looks like he failed) or fishing (in which case looks like a perfect score)
I assumed it was the former Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And don't overlook the cross country options to get really into the local way of doing things. Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
escooler wrote:
Excellent, thanks for all the tips, Couple more questions, as things are a bit colder am guessing the season is slightly different, is this the case, i have only ever been on the snow in the alps/spain. Looking forward to seeing something a bit different.

The season for Are / Salen etc is probably the same as the alps, while it is further north, the mountains are not as high as the alps so the season tends to run from Dec / March regardless of actual snow conditions.

then there is Riksgränsen as mentioned by the masterpiece. As this is in the artic circle the skiing season extends into the summer and endless days, in the winter it is endless night so not even sure if its open in the winter. I've never been but Missus Sacko says its just one hotel (unless this has changed) with a lot of long drag lifts leading off it, and its supposed to be cheap for Heli skiing and its mostly off piste, but that might just be her experience.
snow report
tomj wrote:
I remember @mgrolf telling me much the same, Stockholm being somewhat maritime in its climate.

@tomj is almost correct, except that I was referring to Gothenburg! Stockholm is somewhat drier and colder.

@escooler, welcome to Sweden. I can't add a lot to what's been said already, other than to echo @themasterpiece's comments about the skiing culture here - much more respectful than the Alps, in general.

We must be heading towards critical mass for a scandi bash? snowHead
snow report
Still an 8 hour släpande to ski somewhere the size of Yad Moss when some London based Snowheads can be in La Plagne in less time!
snow conditions
Err, Åre is not the size of Yad Moss!
snow report
Sack the Juggler wrote:

then there is Riksgränsen as mentioned by the masterpiece. As this is in the artic circle the skiing season extends into the summer and endless days, in the winter it is endless night so not even sure if its open in the winter. I've never been but Missus Sacko says its just one hotel (unless this has changed) with a lot of long drag lifts leading off it, and its supposed to be cheap for Heli skiing and its mostly off piste, but that might just be her experience.

The Riksgränsen season is end February to May, reopening for midsummer weekend. Still just one hotel. Correct about offpiste and helli.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy