Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage.

Poster: A snowHead
Packing for a red eye flight to Geneva tomorrow.

I have an email from Easyjet stating that I can take my Scott Alpride airbag on as hand luggage.

Can I take my shovel and probe on as hand luggage too?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JoyZipper wrote:
What do you think airport security will say when they see those items as your hand luggage is x-rayed? Bear in mind that you are not allowed to take something as small as a pair of nail scissors...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
JoyZipper wrote:
What do you think airport security will say when they see those items as your hand luggage is x-rayed

I don't know - that's why I asked.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the clue is in @rob@rar,'s question. The word is "think"!
Of course you could always try carrying on an ice axe, then they might overlook the shovel and probe in the ensuing panic 👿
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JoyZipper wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
JoyZipper wrote:
What do you think airport security will say when they see those items as your hand luggage is x-rayed

I don't know - that's why I asked.
To me it's fairly obvious. No, of course not. Why would security let you through with a 2m metal spike with a pointy end? Plenty of airports have display cabinets showed confiscated items, which include little nail scissors, very small pen knives, knitting needles, and any number of lotions and potions above 100ml, etc. By all means give it a try, but prepared for your problems and almost certainly your shovel to be confiscated.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They're in the ski bag 👍
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wait... you're taking checked baggage and you even asked the question?

Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JoyZipper wrote:
They're in the ski bag 👍

Which you're taking as hand luggage. I can't work out whether you're just trolling, or being deliberately dim.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You cannot take a Tennis or Squash Racquet on board Aircraft Hand Luggage os I know the answer to the OP is NO
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

To me it's fairly obvious. No, of course not.

To be fair....!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35342
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@eblunt, that's a bit mean, it's just a question- which has been asked here and TGR before, I wouldn't know the answer either without doing it myself

Also there's no rule on nail scissors and similar harmless items, the list of prohibited items is fairly obvious stuff (guns, knives, explosives, blowtorches, acid, liquids over 100ml etc)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moseyp, there may be no rule on nail scissors but I've been stopped with them recently. It seems like the security folks are set on eliminating all hand baggage, dangerous or not. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a rule on anything sharp, I have seen lots of people lose their nail scissors.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You are being a wee bit harsh on the poor guy/gal.... although nothing to do with the OP's question you can actually take something sharp in hand language inc knife/scissors etc as long as blade/sharp bit is less than 6cm!!

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JoyZipper wrote:

I have an email from Easyjet stating that I can take my Scott Alpride airbag on as hand luggage.

Just because you have an e-mail from EasyJet there's no guarantee that the airport security staff at the xray machines will accept it, ultimately it's their decision not EasyJet's. Personally I wouldn't risk it even with the email but would be interested to hear how you get on
snow report
@biddpyat, I don't really believe that, they are not on the list of prohibited items. I've always travelled with a nail scissors, several times a month. Here's the list

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/modes/air/security/doc/info_travellers_hand_luggage.pdf

Shovel and probe don't really fit the description of anything on here (and a probe, obviously, doesn't have any sharp parts) so I don't see why it would be a problem.
snow report
@moseyp,

Quote:

Shovel and probe don't really fit the description of anything on here (and a probe, obviously, doesn't have any sharp parts) so I don't see why it would be a problem.

I'd have thought there's a serious chance that they could be considered dangerous under the following category:

"blunt instruments (objects capable of being used to cause serious injury when used to hit)"
snow report
moseyp wrote:
@biddpyat, I don't really believe that, they are not on the list of prohibited items. I've always travelled with a nail scissors, several times a month. Here's the list

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/modes/air/security/doc/info_travellers_hand_luggage.pdf

Maybe it depends on the airport, but I have seen people lose their scissors, and to be honest I wondered why after all you can't do much damage with a nail scissors. Then again some security staff can be very over the top and fussy.
ski holidays
Now let's see. If I am expecting to have to defend myself against an aggressor, would I choose a probe or a shovel over a pair of nail scissors? Not a difficult choice, really....
snow report
A quick jab under the nose with the blade of a shovel would be my move of choice. Followed swiftly by the handle into the balls.....
snow conditions
@pam w, I think I'd go with a nail scissors (to the throat I guess?), mine is frightening sharp. My probe is not solid and wouldn't be any use, the shovel I'm not sure about either-aluminum is a bit light

In reality I would curl up into a ball and wail if actually attacked.
snow conditions
@biddpyat, I assume there's different rules outside the EU - wouldn't be surprised if the TSA is stricter
ski holidays
@moseyp, my nail scissors were questioned at Cambridge airport. I pointed out that they were less than the proscribed length, and was told that it didn't matter, they were sharp so no go. My wife travels with hypodermic needles and glass vials of clear liquid (emergency medication) and has never been pulled up, nor asked to provide the doctor's letter. Doesn't make any sense to me.
latest report
That’s the frustrating thing - you can’t ever be sure how the rules are going to be interpreted. I took my Citadel bike lock in the summer and that would be a pretty effective blunt instrument, but then so would a ski boot. Sadly, despite politicians’ rhetoric, the terrorists ‘won’ when these rules were introduced - they affect the day to day lives of thousands of people every day of the year.
latest report
On the official list Knitting needles are ok in cabin bags!

Obviously some jobsworth security departments interpret the Governments rules differently!
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
On the official list Knitting needles are ok in cabin bags!

Obviously some jobsworth security departments interpret the Governments rules differently!
Always the risk, and while losing a knitting needle to an overly zealous security guard is not a big deal (I assume, I'm not a knitter), losing an expensive avy problem under the same circumstances would be a PITA.
ski holidays
olderscot wrote:
"blunt instruments (objects capable of being used to cause serious injury when used to hit)"

Yep, my shovel handle on it's own would make a great club... Combined with the sharp (by aviation security standards) scoop I'd not even think of risking it in carry on.
snow report
Easyjet now let you check in your hand luggage for £5. That way you can pack what you like as it won't go through security.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A frequent topic on climbing forums is whether you can take climbing ropes as hand baggage. They are often not allowed because they can be used as a restraint!! the logistics of using an 80m 9.8mm rope to tie up cabin crew is mind boggling, unlike heavy duty cable tie type handcuffs which of course are not banned

Re nail scissors, in the 9/11 attacks the hijackers used box cutter knives to gauge the eyes of the cabin crew, something for which nail scissors could be equally useful
snow report
speachmaus wrote:
Easyjet now let you check in your hand luggage for £5. That way you can pack what you like as it won't go through security.
Your hand luggage won't go through security if you pay easyjet a fiver? Are you sure?
latest report
@rob@rar, it goes through the same security as any other hold luggage. See: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134589
snow report
@DJL, OK, I understand now. But your can't call that hand luggage as most of us use that term because your bag goes in to the hold with your other checked-in luggage.
snow conditions
eblunt wrote:
JoyZipper wrote:
They're in the ski bag 👍

Which you're taking as hand luggage. I can't work out whether you're just trolling, or being deliberately dim.

I'm not sure my ski bag would fit in the overhead locker - my skis are 180cm long.
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
JoyZipper wrote:

Just because you have an e-mail from EasyJet there's no guarantee that the airport security staff at the xray machines will accept it, ultimately it's their decision not EasyJet's. Personally I wouldn't risk it even with the email but would be interested to hear how you get on

Security picked up on it (gas canisters and an electronic device - a Gopro). After showing them the email and the person checking with his manager everything was fine.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, yes it's a new thing they are doing. I did it yesterday frim Edinburgh to Munich. It was great. As tgere is no weight limit to hand luggage as king as the size is ok. I packed my heavier stuff in it to keep my ski bag under 20kg .however it was all self weigh there now anyway and I struggled with balancing my roller ski bag on the scales as they were against a pillar so couldn't lay it on the scales.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, http://www.easyjet.com/en/hands-free-upgrade
ski holidays
@speachmaus, it sounds like a cheaper way of carrying more stuff, but it was the notion that hand luggage did not go through security that confused me. It's not really hand luggage, and it is subject to whatever security arrangements that hold luggage is subject to. Thanks for the link.
latest report
@rob@rar, yes it goes with all hold baggage. I meant you dint have to stick with the liquid restrictions etc that hand luggage is scanned for.
latest report
It's just a cheap way of carrying a small bag. And rather better value than the normal hold charge. And, presumably, you can still take a second bag into the cabin. Given the size you can take in the cabin these days, there can't be many holidays where you couldn't manage with just two of them. Skiing is a bit of an exception if you have to carry boots etc.
ski holidays
@pam w, yes you can take a second bag but it has to be the smaller sized one for "under seat" stowage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy