Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day Trip From Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Need some advice if possible please. I am going away on Boxing Day with the wife to Banff. We have 1 night in Calgary followed by 9 nights in Banff then a final night in Calgary before we fly home. We have planned to ski 8 days in the Banff area but have decided to have a road trip somewhere for a day. Places that spring to mind are Panorama or Kicking Horse.

Would anyone have any recommendations or tips for this day trip and reviews of where to go?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did Kicking Horse from Banff a few years ago.. I booked it with Discover Banff Tours where they combine the coach transfer and a lift pass and thought it was pretty good value. The journey does take a couple of hours, but it's pretty spectacular (might be worth assessing the weather beforehand though, the TransCanada Highway around that area doesn't have the best of reputations.

It's an early start, but I did it quite early on in my trip (I think I was there for around the same amount of time as you) as I was getting up early due to the jet lag anyway.

Not sure of what kind of terrain you're looking to ski... it might be worth having a look at the reviews of Kicking Horse if you decide to go there, it's mainly known for it's pretty steep freeriding area at the top, the rest of the area is fairly tame and not that well linked up, although there is quite a bit of fun to be had through the trees in the Crystal Bowl area which is served by the Stairway to Heaven lift. I can't comment too much on the lower slopes as most of them were closed when I was there (not a great year)

Link to the transfer deal here: https://www.banfftours.com/activities/kicking-horse/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spent a few days at Kicking Horse and loved it. Not really for piste skiing.
I think there are only 3 lifts but don't let that put you off as there is a large area to ski in.
The snow wasn't great when I went due to a bad year. Some pretty scary runs from the top ... which is really the only place to go. There is a run from the top marked as the easiest way down but this would be a black in lesser resorts in Europe.
Going up the Stairway to Heaven steps is a bit of a 'rights of passage' run. It definitely focuses the attention! Pretty steep and with a bit of a drop off.... and rocks when I was there.
Great restaurant with fabulous views at the top of the main lift.
You can visit Boo the grizzly bear as well!
Kicking Horse made me realize that we have it too easy in Europe and gave me a renewed respect for the Canadians.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammy050, Of your choices I'd say Kicking Horse - great place especially with the right conditions. Check the weather and snow reports before you go.
If theres high winds forecast don't bother, as they close the gondola which means very limited skiing. Again if there's icy conditions its not the most fun place.

Your other alternative, but would probably need another night way, is Castle Mtn. South of Calgary, takes about 1.5 hrs from Calgary - great little mtn, and definitely not like a tourist resort Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kicking Horse deffo, but as others have said, check the weather - In a whiteout it'd be... character building... watch the weather and if it dumps there, go the day after. Crystal Bowl in fresh powder is something you can session all day long.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Kicking Horse was our first choice so we will see what conditions are like during our trip and hopefully head over there.We are flexible on days so hopefully that will help choose the best conditions for when we are out there. We will need a few days at the beginning of the trip to get the legs back as it has been 3 years since we last went skiing/boarding
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammy050,
Remember to keep an eye on the wind if you are going to Kicking Horse. They managed to put in the most idiotic lift system, with one long lift (gondola) running to the top of the mountain - with no mid station.

So if it's windy at the top they close the lift. If Carlsberg did ski lifts (not!).... Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister wrote:
hammy050,
Remember to keep an eye on the wind if you are going to Kicking Horse. They managed to put in the most idiotic lift system, with one long lift (gondola) running to the top of the mountain - with no mid station.

So if it's windy at the top they close the lift. If Carlsberg did ski lifts (not!).... Sad

Great advice - admittedly we were lucky both times we ventured to KH from Banff. As others have said the top bowls are superb. Bottom half is timid and boring. Restaurant at the top is called Eagle’s Nest. Great views and excellent food. Seem to remember we caught the bus from Banff Springs. Enjoy and hope it’s not too cold!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
... They managed to put in the most idiotic lift system, with one long lift (gondola) running to the top of the mountain - with no mid station. .... . If Carlsberg did ski lifts (not!).... Sad

But Carlsberg beer, in the UK at least, is horrible.

You have to think about the history of the hill and how resorts are financed to understand why it's like that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
another vote for KH. panorama is a fairly average small resort. nakiska, the Olympic hill near Calgary, _may_ be of interest if you like groomers, but I'd recommend KH.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't faff about, do this
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy