Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Lunch/snack stops Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, thanks for reading. Advice on reliable lunch and snack stop places welcome. Staying Arabba, December, if that helps. Nothing fancy but aimiñg to get around Sella Ronda and offshoots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is difficult to find a bad one. Ski fast and lunch long. Don't forget the coffee stops. Great coffee and food at half the price of France snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for posting and giving me the chance to 'borrow' some of the info you gain; off to Arabba (Bellavista, booked before really delving into this site and thinking the BB could be a future possibility) in Jan and already picked up loads of info from here.......SR, Marmolada, Hidden Valley, time in Val Gardena, a day in Kronplatz.......but haven't even considered when or where we might stop to actually fuel up and savour some of the views!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What Lechbob said. However he forgot to mention the hot chocolates - they are so thick and rich you can virtually stand your spoon up in them (I think they just get a chocolate bar and melt it with the steam from the espresso machine!) Laughing

Here's a few particular favourites of mine:
1. On the blue run from Pralongia down to Armentarola, the Rifugio Saraghes on the right hand side has excellent hot chocolate. When you leave it you go a few hundred metres further on and then turn off to the right down to Armentarola where you get the taxi/bus transfer to Passo Falzarego (about 6 Euros per person). From Passo Falzarego you take the cable car to the top of Lagazuoi for the start of the famous Hidden Valley run. Half way down is Rifugio Scotoni - very popular so often busy, but their mixed grill is amazing. Alternatively at the end of the Hidden Valley run is the Capanna Alpina which is also very good, especially for pasta dishes. Skiers arriving here are usually greeted by the sight of the restaurant's dogs sitting on the flat roof observing proceedings. Laughing

2.From Passo Falzareggo alternatively you can ski the nearby Cinque Torri ski area - this is a fairly small area but great views and never crowded. At the very top of the Cinque Torri is the Rifugio Averau - the place is renowned for its food, I'm not sure but it may even have a Michelin star!

3. Head for La Villa and then follow the signs for Santa Croce/La Crusc/Heiligenkreuz. The restaurant at the top (adjacent to the church) is very good, and the ski runs down are tree lined at the edges of the piste.

4. On the Sella Ronda circuit I like the restaurant Mathiaskeller in Colfosco, which is situated just to the right as you get off the top of the Sodlisia chairlift in Colfosco. Traditional local food and the interior is very nice with cosy small dining areas. The bar stools as you enter are also quite amusing....

5. Also in Colfosco if you go up the Edelweiss side valley the Rifugio Forcelles at the top of the Forcelles chairlift is good and has great views.

I've only scratched the surface with the list above, I'm sure other snowHeads can add their favourites. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup, can't recall a bad meal there, honestly.
Some places we frequented (more due to location than because they are exceptional, I haven't tried all of 'em yet Laughing ):

- When connecting from Canazei to Campitello there's a bit where a tunnel takes you under the road. On the Canazei side is a good spot for a quick espresso (a snack bar) and on the other side a hotel called Lupo Bianco where we had a few good lunches.
- At Passo Pordoi we had a pretty good lunch but I really can't recall the place's name. It's a place worth visiting though, the views from the top of the Sass Pordoi gondola are amazing.
- If you get to Alba di Canazei, I recall a good and cheap lunch with excellent dessert at Rifugio Ciampac
- If you happen to go into Campitello (the town itself) there was a place smack in the middle called Tobia that had amazing hot chocolate, just like Alastair described. So thick you need a spoon to drink it. Don't forget whipped cream snowHead

Fair warning - I haven't been there in 4 years or so. Things might have changed and my standards back then might have been lower. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, thanks for those and any more ideas welcome please. Having just returned from PSB in Tignes, I'd better starve myself this week or none of my trousers will fit! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.altabadia.org/en/italian-alps-dolomites/food-and-drink/gourmet-skisafari.html

Alta Badia ski safari starts again for the season today
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Following this thread with interest.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Lupo Bianco where the Sella crosses the road is a personal favorite.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Day trip to Corrina. Long lunches. Table clothes and everything.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, is it easy to get there? Bus? snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
intermediate wrote:
Hi, thanks for reading. Advice on reliable lunch and snack stop places welcome. Staying Arabba, December, if that helps. Nothing fancy but aimiñg to get around Sella Ronda and offshoots.

Coffee stop before first lift. Wee hut below the ski school at the bottom of the BURZ lift.

Good fun is to head over to Corvara and some runs or Monte Cherz then head back to the bottom of the run 29 or 39 on the RHS next to the road is a new restaurant that is good. However, anywhere is great. My favourite for lunch is the skiers/hunter plate. Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rif Bioch on the blue plateau around Pralongia is good. Fancy side of the range.
The pizza place at the top of the bubble out of La Villa is good although a while since I have been there.
I think Las Vegas above San Cassiano is also rated by a number of folk although I have not been there myself.
I always enjoy a spagetti vongole at Jimmy's Hutte if I manage to go past at the right time on a day when it is their special. Like so many of the places it also has excellent view from the outside tables.
Always like Saslonch as well, just below Ciampinoi (but better to do the Saslong run before lunch rather than first run after).

Like others have said, just an indication that it is harder to find a bad place than a good one.

Or if you get far enough afield, the small BBQ hut with a large steak Very Happy at the end of La Longia....

Oh and of course there is good cake and coffee at Col Raiser. Madeye-Smiley Another fab view.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:

2.From Passo Falzareggo alternatively you can ski the nearby Cinque Torri ski area - this is a fairly small area but great views and never crowded. At the very top of the Cinque Torri is the Rifugio Averau - the place is renowned for its food, I'm not sure but it may even have a Michelin star!

+1.
had a lovely meal here last year. Nice skiing too. It was so quiet when we were there we often had pistes to ourselves!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Capanna Nera is a good one too (think it's on one of the runs from the Pralongia plateau back down to Corvara).

If the Santa Croce is so rammed that there's no chance of a table (it's always popular/busy despite being right out on a limb, and a walk uphill), then ski back down, past the rifugio(s) at the top of the chairlift, then quite a way down on the right is another good place.

It's Italy - nowhere really does bad food.
latest report
andy wrote:

We found another gem two years ago which was one I’d never considered before, because it looked out on a limb. It’s on the run down from Pralongia towards Arabba, right on the bend as you turn left for Arabba. It looks tiny from the outside but lovely friendly staff. When you leave and pass the drag lift on the left that’s signed for Arabba, ignore it because it’s long and just takes you back to the top of Pralongia and a different Piste back to La Vizza. Just ski past it and you ski down to La Vizza anyway.
snow conditions
SteveM wrote:
...I think Las Vegas above San Cassiano is also rated by a number of folk although I have not been there myself....

Shocked
We should fix that on this trip captain!!
snow conditions
@SteveM,
Quote:

I think Las Vegas above San Cassiano is also rated by a number of folk although I have not been there myself

Shocked What ALQ says.
latest report
ALQ wrote:
SteveM wrote:
...I think Las Vegas above San Cassiano is also rated by a number of folk although I have not been there myself....

Shocked
We should fix that on this trip captain!!

Las Vegas is indeed good and I’ve certainly eaten there.
snow report
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try to plot all these suggestions on a piste map. I can add more as they come in, or from personal experience, then share it with other snowHeads later. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

We found another gem two years ago which was one I’d never considered before, because it looked out on a limb. It’s on the run down from Pralongia towards Arabba, right on the bend as you turn left for Arabba. It looks tiny from the outside but lovely friendly staff. When you leave and pass the drag lift on the left that’s signed for Arabba, ignore it because it’s long and just takes you back to the top of Pralongia and a different Piste back to La Vizza. Just ski past it and you ski down to La Vizza anyway.

@geepee, I have to admit I'm lost on this one. I can't think of any run down from Pralongia that goes to Arabba. Do you mean Armentarola and does La Vizza mean La Villa?
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

@geepee, I have to admit I'm lost on this one. I can't think of any run down from Pralongia that goes to Arabba. Do you mean Armentarola and does La Vizza mean La Villa?

There are two places between Pralongia and Arabba where you have to get on a lift - La Vizza is the first one, and Passo Campolongo (where you cross the road) is the second one. There are two pistes down from Pralongia to La Vizza - one fairly direct, the other a bit longer, round to skier's right.
GeePee's resto is on the right-hand piste just before it passes the bottom of the drag-lift
HTH
ski holidays
Ah, got it. So on the long run from down from Pralongia towards Cherz and the Vizza chair lift that takes you up to the top of Monte Cherz.

I think that's the La Marmotta.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 11-12-17 15:34; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Crep de mant at the top of the drag number 17, (come off the boe, head back towards corvara and head Right).

bambi on the piste of the same name (I'm the alfa badia sector, head down from piz sorega to the right, up thr chair opposite and you more on less go over it. Particularly good if sunny

The best, well I can take you there but I broke a few on the journey back due to distance and slush bumps.

But as other have said it's hard to find a bad one
latest report
There are no bad restaurants in ALta Badia, but some very pricey ones.

We liked Las Vegas and Bamby.
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
There are no bad restaurants in ALta Badia, but some very pricey ones.....

Some with Michelin starred chefs....

https://www.altabadia.org/en/italian-alps-dolomites/food-and-drink/gourmet-skisafari.html
ski holidays
Can I add some of my favourites to the mix? If you get over to Kronplatz then try the Oberegger Alm on the way down towards Olang. Above Campitello we have found the Rifugio Friedrich August very good. And last but not least, the Utia Pic Pre just above San Cassiano - very good Tree Dumplings😄
snow conditions
geepee wrote:
andy wrote:

Is this it??

http://www.lamarmotta.com/en/winter-in-alta-badia
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
What Lechbob said. However he forgot to mention the hot chocolates - they are so thick and rich you can virtually stand your spoon up in them (I think they just get a chocolate bar and melt it with the steam from the espresso machine!)

I’m so glad to hear that. I was only saying to my good lady that I hope they do good hot chocolate in the Dolomites, as I’m not really a coffee lover. I can see me putting loads of weight on, despite skiing everyday. Oh dear what a blow. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
What Lechbob said. However he forgot to mention the hot chocolates - they are so thick and rich you can virtually stand your spoon up in them (I think they just get a chocolate bar and melt it with the steam from the espresso machine!)

I’m so glad to hear that. I was only saying to my good lady that I hope they do good hot chocolate in the Dolomites, as I’m not really a coffee lover. I can see me putting loads of weight on, despite skiing everyday. Oh dear what a blow. Toofy Grin

Good hot chocolate in the Dolomites ???? Are you for real Happy

Prepare to put on 5kg Happy
latest report
I've always liked the look of the one at the top of the Passo Padon, I think its called Rifigio Padon? I've never eaten there but the views must be amazing. Anyone been there?
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

....by the end of day 1 snowHead
latest report
ALQ wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

....by the end of day 1 snowHead

I’m liking the sound of this more and more. Never been to mainland Italy. I thought they were all strong coffee drinkers. Closest I’ve been is Sardinia, for two weeks sharing a bivouac with two hairy assed Royal Marines, eating compo rations. Not exactly the real Italy.
ski holidays
@luigi, We stopped at that one (Lamarmotta) this year, struggled to find a seat, but once we did it was a wonderful meal, fast service for such a large crowd as well. Recommend this one...and we'll be back this year.
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:

The best, well I can take you there but I broke a few on the journey back due to distance and slush bumps.

I know where you mean - but your secret's safe with me Toofy Grin
If you're thinking of the day we called it quits in Corvara on the way back to San Cassiano, I was there there - I wasn't entirely 'broken' but close to it.
That was a hard day's skiing - by my standards, anyway rolling eyes

I had hoped to go there on the BB earlier this year but we failed to find the Saslong Embarassed and ended up in Monte Pana instead of Santa Cristina.
That detour put paid to any idea of getting all the way to 'the secret rifugio'
latest report
olderscot wrote:
Ah, got it. So on the long run from down from Pralongia towards Cherz and the Vizza chair lift that takes you up to the top of Monte Cherz.

I think that's the La Marmotta.

That’s the one. Very Happy
snow report
Take the black out of Alba, heaed over to Val di Fassa. Just before you drop down into Val di Fassa there's a hut at the lift - off to the right. Awesome place.
The refuges at Conque Torri have an amazing reputation. Well worth the trip. One has outdoor hottubs and is quite reasonable for the night
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

The refuges at Conque Torri have an amazing reputation. Well worth the trip. One has outdoor hottubs and is quite reasonable for the night

You certainly know how to live Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

That’s the one.

It sounds good. I'm not even sure I've ever been down that run but I'll make sure I get there in February.
snow conditions
Sella Cuca has quite a good reputation too?

Always wondered about the Troier hut up by Seceda as well, as they bother to put the diversion trail in place to get to it and people go down there, so I think it must have something worthwhile.

On the other hand, may be worth recording a few "less successful" ones.
In my view, the food at the hotel at the top of the Saslong bubble out of Santa Cristina (Hotel Sochers?) was not v good.
We have never been very successful at finding good places on the Skitour Panorama (Alba-Pozza), Valeruz, Al Zedron, Buffaure and Malga Al Crocifisso all seem to have disappointed a bit.

Maybe I need to try the place that @cameronphillips2000 refers to above - would that be Pizzeria Winkler? Although Soldanella also looks interesting if it is open in winter daytimes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy