Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kastle CX graphite skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
Looking to upgrade my v old skis but not spend a fortune, I've come across a pair of kastle CX graphite skis at suitable length for me. I can't find anything on kastle website so assume they're not the current crop.. But that doesn't concern me much.
I'm an average piste intermediate with no idea about ski design. Can anyone who has any experience of these let me know their suitability?
Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Post a picture of them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have one sorry, they're listed on eBay in new condition with separate tyrolla bindings 190cm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jonwilton, I'm guessing it is this item.

I think you will find that they are from the mid 90s. I doubt the bindings will be usable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Early 90s. Straight.

Worthless as are the bindings...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jonwilton, what is your budget, height, weight, and ability? We may be able to recommend something more suitable.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any of these worth a look. The first Völkls may be a little short of edge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkyl-AC30-All-Mountain-skis/263369408647?hash=item3d520a4087:g:YsIAAOSwa81aJ8BH

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blizzard-GTR-Skis-174/253295710999?hash=item3af999d317:g:PvQAAOSwUwFaJne2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/skis/192388769281?hash=item2ccb43a601:g:j2YAAOSwPpZaKBKG
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm 6'6" and 107kg. I presume 290 would be a minimum length for me?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...thank you for you suggestions though!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry min length 190, not 290!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my girlfriend works for a chain of charity shops and has had 3 pairs of Kastle CX skis donated this winter.

I think that gives some idea of their value.

@jonwilton, when you say minimum length 190, what's that based on? Are you really, exceptionally tall (I mean I'm 6'7"...) or were your last skis quite old? You will find that modern skis work on much shorter lengths than older ones. Very few people (and by that I basically mean freeride adrenaline junkies, and GS racers) really go for anything over 190. My 3 pairs are 184, 189 and 190 and the latter two are both fatties.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dp, says above
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Length also depends on the ski. And isn’t an exact science. The last few years have seen rocker where the effective length is reduced.

A typical heuristic for an average skier is somewhere between chest and chin. Which I suggest gives you a 180 max.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks that's V interesting, my last ones are 190 and before that 2m but if I can use shorter without a problem I'm happy with that.
My height is 6'6", weight approx 107kg
Appreciate all guidance, thank you
Jon
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jonwilton, I still have my old 203SLs next door to their modern 165 equivalents and my 173 day skis (I’m 5’6”)
snow conditions
Ok, might revise my searching. My chin is about 180 from the floor, I'll have another look around that length for a more modern ski.
I'm not an adrenaline junkie nor any super G expert, just an average intermediate who has been skiing on v dated skis for the last 25yrs!!
The upgrade looks like being quite a radical change for me.
snow report
@Themasterpiece, yes you are right, I'm an inch taller and a few kg heavier, and my day to day piste skis are 184.
And to be honest a lot of the reason for that is just that in the day-to-day 70/30 all mountain category there is nothing much longer than that on the market.

@jonwilton I think something around 180-185cm would likely do you fine.
snow report
Having changed my search, could anyone advise what they think of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkl-Tigershark-Chrome-10ft-182cm-skis-with-Marker-bindings/173017499576?hash=item2848a587b8:g:D3wAAOSwovNaJtCV

Thank you!
snow conditions
@jonwilton, they are a well regarded Ski with a solid construction pedigree. Can’t think of many downsides if the edges are thick enough ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy