Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Radical 1 Heel Failure

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
circa 2011 Dynafit Radical Baltoro

While skiing the orange colored plastic part of the binding "exploded" at the back and shot down the hill. Anybody had this happen, know what caused it? (e.g. user error, aged plastic failure)

Is it wise to replace the other side with a radical ST heel bit too or swap both out for radical ST 2's? Are the drill patterns the same?

https://www.bergzeit.at/dynafit-tlt-radical-st-baltoro-tourenbindung-92mm/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-12-17 11:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, I believe the early Radical heels are known for failing, but it’s normally the top plate, rather than the body. I’d definitely replace both sides.

I’m sure SpyderJon will be along to confirm.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not seen that before. Seen the top plates come off but not the housing break.

Drill pattern for the Rad 2 is different at both the toe/heel and will clash with the existing mounts so easy swap/upgrade is not possible.

You just need a replacement upper unit which is part number 48669 as pictured below.

I've just checked on the Dynafit B2B site and they can still be ordered in black only. The list price is £77.00 each however I have one pair left in stock & I can do the pair posted to you for less than the price they want for one! PM me if you're interested.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PM sent
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
@DB, I believe the early Radical heels are known for failing, but it’s normally the top plate, rather than the body. I’d definitely replace both sides.

I’m sure SpyderJon will be along to confirm.

The body would fail due to the anti-rotation mechanism putting stress on the plastics. The first year Dynafit introduced this it was a disaster with heels exploding all over the place. Maybe that is what happened to this heel?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof,
As far as I‘m aware this was the very first version where the heel couldn‘t be turned both ways. I had a recall mod done (some sort of pin within the binding) and have always been sure to turn the heels clockwise. The skis were new last year and I had the bindings swapped over from an old pair of skis. This was the only time the skis were out of my possession and I‘m beginning to suspect someone turned the binding anti-clockwise and stressed it. Glad it happened where it did and not on a hut to hut tour. Skiing with just one leg in tele and applying the brakes if I unweighted the ski was interesting and humbling. Glad the binding exploded and not my knee too.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 9-12-17 6:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
Glad it happened where it did and not on a hut to hut tour. Skiing with just one leg in tele and applying the brakes if I unweighted the ski was interesting and humbling. Glad the binding exploded and not my knee too.

Maybe a blessing in disguise!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:
Glad it happened where it did and not on a hut to hut tour. Skiing with just one leg in tele and applying the brakes if I unweighted the ski was interesting and humbling. Glad the binding exploded and not my knee too.

Maybe a blessing in disguise!

Yes.

Found this on TGR, looks to be linked to the anti-rotational device.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/255483-Dynafit-Radical-ST-both-heel-pieces-broken

I have two pairs of Dynafit Radical bindings the other pair have a stopper on the brake to prevent reverse rotation while in walk mode, wondering if I can retrofit the same stopper on my first pair.

It's the small plastic clamp on the curved part of the brake, just to the right of the grey stopper in this pic.
https://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/8817258528798/5028779-BK000.jpg?w=600&h=600&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF

This is it ...
http://48bfc51361a55a01a028-17b283ac00835b5ced4db83c898330a1.r33.cf1.rackcdn.com/2032403_67dda34d_m.jpeg
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon,

Just wanted to say thanks, the heel pieces came through in the post yesterday.

For some reason I doesn't understand the ski technician here in Austria took the binding off the ski to fit the heel piece upper - am I right in thinking it should be possible without taking the binding off the ski?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
@spyderjon,.....For some reason I doesn't understand the ski technician here in Austria took the binding off the ski to fit the heel piece upper - am I right in thinking it should be possible without taking the binding off the ski?

Yep, the heel bases should remain on the ski so as to not disturb the mount.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon,
Thanks, wondering if it‘s best to take off the binding again but epoxy the screws or leave it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a friend who was most of the way up mont blanc when his binding failed due to a screw not having been epoxied.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update just in case anyone else has the same problem -

Here you can see (from left to right) 1. the new heel piece in black (as supplied by spyderjon) 2. the dis-mounted yet still intact original heel piece and 3. the exploded heel piece (kindly recovered by JanetS at Kitzsteinhorn)

Here's the new piece mounted and original heel pieces again showing the pin for the anti-clockwise rotational lock and the break more clearly.

The new black heel piece doesn't have an in-built rotation lock to prevent the heel being turned counter-clockwise - without this the binding will most likely be damaged once used.

Just picked up the anti-rotation kit (free of charge) from the local Salewa/dynafit shop
https://www.wildsnow.com/7898/dynafit-anti-twist-rotation-48684-installation/

If I had know what I know now I would have fitted this kit before the heel piece broke.

As for the screws - the technician couldn't get the cap out (yellow piece inside original binding) and so unmounted the binding from the ski. There's no need to unmount the binding, to get the cap out use a long screw and insert into the hole in the centre of the cap then pull the cap out. I'll test to see if the screws are loose, if not I'll probably just put a drop of glue to the side of the screw head to stop them working loose.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy