Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription glasses and helmet/goggles/visor

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am a beginner/intermediate; can just parallel ski. I like to wear prescription sunglasses.

I used to have the usual helmet and goggles but found the goggles pressed too hard on my nose, and if I wanted to take them off they would catch on the glasses and this was a hassle. So I bought the Bolle helmet with the integrated visor, which works a lot better with sunglasses, but now the glasses can come out (forward) a bit and get in the way.

There are some goggle options for prescription inserts and the ones I have seen seem crude - just springy plastic inserts which look like they will move about.

Then there are "official" Oakley goggle options which are very expensive and I don't know how they are implemented. The goggles I had were Oakleys...

What do people here use?

The other thing is that I ski slowly so most of the time don't pull the visor down, but with goggles I would have to wear them the whole time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I use goggles over prescription glasses. I specifically have a pair of glasses I snowboard in which are a smaller profile than my regular specs. As you've already got the visor, why not just get a cheap pair of prescrip. sunglasses made up which fit underneath better than the ones you have. Take the helmet and visor with you to make sure you get something that won't foul.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have my prescription sunnies as well. Use them most the time.

When the goggles come out, I use an insert that I got fromhttps://www.spex4less.com/

As you describe, springy plastic that pushes against the frame and holds them in place. Never had any problem with them moving around inside the goggles. They aren't perfect as obviously they don't fill the full width of the goggle lens (if that makes sense) and they fit one pair of my goggles better than the other. But to be honest, I can't really fault them especially for the price I paid.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't you get a narrow field of view with that insert?

Goggles aren't exactly that wide to start with (compared to just wearing sunglasses with a bare helmet) although obviously one gets used to it - 99% of people on the slopes use goggles, with almost nobody using the Bolle integrated visor system.

On nice days I like skiing with just sunglasses and the visor out of the way Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been skiing with prescription sunglasses for 40 years. If skiing slow standard glasses are fine; at speed I need side pieces, I have retro Bolle leather ones but the plastic safety clip ons work just as well even if they make you look a bit nerdy.

In cold light snow I just carry on wearing the sunglasses. In wet snow or heavy snow I use goggles over plain glasses. These must be double glazed goggles and with good ventilation. But my glasses do mist up. Cat Crap helps.

If I know it is going to be a goggles day I wear contact lenses.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you mean something like these

http://www.countryside.co.uk/julbo/drus-spectron-4
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For prescription insert goggles check out Addidas ID2. These have their own, hard, clear plastic glass inserts with a tab at the top that pops in to a slot in the goggles.

Those work well for me but if your only issue is your sunglasses being able to move, just buy a "sports glasses strap". Just links the two arms together behind your head with a bit of elastic to stop them sliding or 'jumping' when things get bumpy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peter_h wrote:
Do you mean something like these

http://www.countryside.co.uk/julbo/drus-spectron-4

Yup Retro cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not being funny at all... maybe I am missing something really obvious... but is there any reason not to wear contact lenses and regular goggles?

I have recently started wearing glasses and it was the way I was intending to approach it. Am I missing something?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just don't want to put anything inside my eyes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fair enough. I'm not so keen on the idea myself that I want to wear contacts all the time but it just seemed like it might be sensible for skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The other reason is that my sunglasses are bifocals, with reading inserts at the bottom. This is really good for, ahem, when one gets a bit older and needs to use the smartphone Smile

I have ordered a pair of those Julbo glasses and will get some lenses to go inside them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Modern contact lenses aren't like they used to be. I'm 52 and grew up hearing horror stories of the old hard lenses doing horrible things to peoples eyes, and poor hygiene resulting in nasty eye infections, and I only started wearing lenses when I was 40, but I really can't even tell they're there. I have varifocal lenses (this isn't a joke, I promise). I would seriously recommend you to have a free trial of them at very least. You may be pleasantly surprised
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a pair of these (see link below) with prescription lenses (with an additional set of interchangeable yellow lenses for low light). They bridge the gap between goggles and sunglasses and I've had years of use out of them.

http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/40/polarized-ski-goggles-polarised-sunglasses
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Contacts are by far the easiest option but not everyone can (e.g. dry eyes), or wants to use them.

Next easiest are either OTG goggles or a visor helmet. I could never find a pair of OTG goggles that worked for me (either fit issues or fogging) but many people have great success with them. Visor helmets just more expensive and have a style that not everyone is comfortable with.

Prescription inserts work for me (I think the insert being further away from my face than my glasses under OTG goggles removed fogging) but if you're short-sighted you need to take a second pair of glasses up the mountain so you can see where you're going when you go inside.
ski holidays
@peter_h, I use inserts for my Airbrakes. I would recommend them.

Here's a thread detailing my experience http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122834&highlight=

Since then, I've bought another set of inserts as my prescription changed.
snow report
I use a Wedze Stream 550 s2 visor helmet and photo-chromatic prescription glasses.
The vision is fine, but the airflow through the helmet is not great, so unless its snowing, the visor normally stays up. ( which defeats the object a bit).
When I replace the helmet after the next big crash, I will definitely get another helmet / visor combo, but will try and find one with better airflow.
snow report
I had reached the conclusion that the main reasons so few people ski with visor helmets is because (a) they are not cool (b) for fast skiing they are draughty (c) they are not cool Smile

I looked up the Wedze Stream 550 s2 and it is amazingly cheap. I paid well over 200 euros for the Bollé Backline...

Thanks for the other thread Rich. It's also interesting to read that some people just ski with sunglasses - I found that best unless actually snowing. So maybe that's the best solution after all... finding sunglasses which stay in place properly.
ski holidays
I'm not sure if it's an option, but I use disposal contacts for skiing. Don't use them the rest of the year, just pop them on when I'm away.

I'm at an age where losing stuff becomes a bit of an issue, so being able to source cheap replacements for glasses/goggles is quite handy...
snow report
Definitely recommend one day disposable contact lenses over glasses as fogging up of glasses will always be an issue...

If you genuinely can't use contacts then there are some goggles out there with a side cut for the arms of your glasses, I have some goggles made by Bolle but I don't know if they still make them. My glasses still fog up in them so they are only a backup pair.

I don't wear contacts normally, only for sports, or where I need to wear a helmet.

Willem.
snow report
Quote:

I had reached the conclusion that the main reasons so few people ski with visor helmets is because (a) they are not cool (b) for fast skiing they are draughty (c) they are not cool

I now use a visor, even though I don't wear glasses, because it is vastly more convenient and has a much wider field of view. It need not be the slightest bit draughty, because you can alter the snugness of the fit to your face (via compression strip along the inside bottom edge of the visor) with just a slight movement of one hand, to tilt the visor. I used to hate the pressure of snug-fitting googles, and the hassle of the things generally.

I reckon googles started to become out-moded when helmets came into common use. Looking at current stocking trends in ski shops, I have little doubt that within a few years visors will become the norm. In ten years' time, skiers wearing googles will be the equivalent of bikers sporting pudding-basin helmets and Battle of Britain googles.

But hey, each to their own.
ski holidays
I currently use an insert in normal goggles, and I haven't had any problems with field of vision (people who wear glasses quickly adjust to having extra 'frame' in their vision). I used to wear disposable contact lenses, but found they dried too quickly in windy conditions and made them uncomfortable.
ski holidays
I never fancied the hassle of contacts. I tried glasses under goggles on one trip but found it hard to keep them in a good position plus sometimes they would fog. I had been considering laser eye surgery for a while and skiing pushed me over the edge. I got it done in Nov 2016 - best thing i ever did.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy