Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@Richie_S - les Nants has one of the most awkward stretches I’ve ever skied, a narrow chute through trees where at one point I had to sideslip over a fallen log. Character building! From what I recall, above the chute was pretty easy (not black) and below was just a road. Having done it once I have no desire to repeat.

Nip over the liaison to Flegere and ski down from there, if that’s an option for you and you want to go top to bottom. Go up the Index and start with Lachenal for a good long run.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok, thanks for the myriad replies and advice. I and the other 6 I am travelling out with are all snowboarding. I sense that this run will sort the men from the boys and, if nothing else, provide a tale to tell in the bar afterwards.

Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, Munster/B&W still busy? I was in on Saturday for the 'opening party' - was great to see a good crowd back in there, and so many familiar faces I'd not seen in a while, Tony was looking very happy. Had to leave on Sunday though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i was in there on saturday after spending the day before in there painting and cleaning lol. its great to have somewhere closer to a real pub!

richie, dont worry about the nantes, i snowboard it and it really isnt that difficult, with decent snow its a real fun run with loads of stuff on the sides to jump off and over!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fixx, Hah, I was in briefly on Sat just as I'd walked past en route to Jekyll and noticed it had changed hands. Definitely a big improvement and IT DOESN'T SMELL!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any chances of vb being open with the ropes up on wednesday?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@staffsan, On the one occasion I skied the arrête at the end of the season when the ropes had been removed, it was much easier than the standard route either sliding down the path in ski boots hanging onto the rope for dear life or faffing around with crampons!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
staffsan wrote:
Any chances of vb being open with the ropes up on wednesday?

I hope they NEVER put the ropes up. Used to be much better without. Seriously cuts down on the crowds. Also makes the non alpinist feel like they got real value paying for a guide.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Idris, hmm, you might have a point there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

Very fine salmon croute at the Cremerie, which I finally ate in after 11 years.

Thanks for this - caused me to look the place up. Very atmospheric walk from Argentiere through the forest and reasonable cost. Don't go if you're not a cheese fan!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last weekend was a big'un! Flew in Thurs and out Mon - got it done. Check it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeEiEccHaTv

Frid: Laps of the Helbronner followed by an Italian VB
Sat: A classique vallee blanche in blower pow then a Col du Tacul up and down
Sun: Col du Passon
Mon: Col de l'Encrenaz. A new one for me - a rating of 6.5/10 on the poo-your-pants scale.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fergus, magnifico/magnifique!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fergus, crikey, you have some upwards go juice.

Out of curiosity, which Col de L'Encrenaz route was it. Always good to have some terror info.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On our way from Geneve now! Wish us luck! Do you think anything more than les houches will open tomorrow?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HammondR, well I more or less just followed my pal and tried to keep up. However, he skied it last spring and wrote about it in his blog "From Lac Blanc climb the slopes SE of the Chamois / Perseverance / Encrenaz and head up the middle S facing couloir between Breche Martin / Encrenaz." Not sure if the top really is 50deg, but it felt fairly exposed on January/office-job legs. Going green
latest report
@Fergus, impressive few days.

Tweet from Avalanche Academy just now.

“Massive snowfall in #Chamonix right now. Le Tour is being evacuated as is half of Route du Pont (Les Houches) and Bois Ronde.”
latest report
@jbob, flinging flang. Trying our luck in Combloux tomorrow. May get a little wet later on. Are things similarly extreme down Aosta way?
latest report
Arrived in Chamonix last night (friday) - today, chose to board in Les Houches -as Brevent was 'minimally' opened'. Great day - mixed light and mixed pistes. Snowfall through the afternoon. Evacuated? No. took a 4pm Bellevue lift up and then boarded back down. No evidence of evacuation.

Snow turned to rain late on this evening...

We, at least, are expecting it to be a Les Houches day tomorrow as well according to forecast and the lifties we spoke to.
snow report
@jbob, flinging flang. Trying our luck in Combloux tomorrow. May get a little wet later on. Are things similarly extreme down Aosta way?
snow report
@HammondR, nice day today but started snowing heavily around 3pm. Was in cogne, they’ve had some f big slides. It’s 4/5 everywhere and lots of the top lifts are shut. It should be epic from tue onwards, however much caution required I think.
snow conditions
Richie_S wrote:
Evacuated? No.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/01/20/risque-d-avalanches-une-trentaine-d-habitations-evacuee-a-chamonix
Certain very specific parts of Les Houches/Taconnaz were evacuated (30 buildings) - they sit in (albeit protected with avalanche defenses) well known avalanche paths...
See below for some cctv camera footage from the area last week when a large avalanche came down...
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/01/20/l-avalanche-du-bourgeat-filmee-par-une-camera-de-surveillance-les-houches
latest report
And here (also last week) - same place... http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/01/09/avalanche-aux-houches-une-quinzaine-de-chalets-impactes-montagne-neige
snow conditions
“Weather and conditions of circulation as at 20 January 2018 at 10 h30
(Follow-up to the security committee this morning)
Given the weather conditions of the moment and forecast for the weekend (1,50 of rainfall is announced at 2000 M by Monday morning):
- the col pass remains closed
- trails at the foot of the slopes are prohibited
- about houses from the top of the valley of chamonix and à, located in a high-risk area of Avalanche, are evacuated today (the inhabitants are directly warned).
- a closure of the roads " from montroc to le tour " and " from the planet " is possible at the end of the day this Saturday 20 January or tomorrow Sunday 21 January.
All community and security services are mobilized, on the ground and in town hall where a telephone reception is provided this Saturday and tomorrow Sunday from 10 am to 20 pm: 04 50 53 11 13.”
From the Marie's office yesterday.

The le tour road was closed at 8:30pm.
The avalanche catcher above pont next to taconnaz was filled up by the last storm.
latest report
Here we go again.
5/5

snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, well. Thanks for that. Didn’t hear a peep of that in resort today.
ski holidays
Driving back from the Les Houches climbing wall tonight at about 7:30 was verging on carnage because there was an inch of snow settled on the road. Cars embedded in the banking of the dual carriageway and on the slip road into Les Pèlerans. The only positive thing to report is that they were all on French plates.

We will all be washed away tomorrow.
snow report
@Richie_S, it is quite localised ... (but quite serious for those in that 'localised' area!!)
ski holidays
@HammondR Why is it positive that they're on French plates? I'm not overly concerned about the nationality of the car (or drive, often different here in Chamonix) about to plow into me, more worried about the bit where they're about to plow into me!

On a positive note, this evening's rising of the rain/snow line seems to be delayed a bit, still snowing pretty heavy (with heavy snow...) in Chamonix town.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some interesting maps here.

https://www.chamonix.fr/environnement-et-prevention-des-risques/prevention-des-risques/129-les-plans-opposables-ppri-ppra.html
snow report
@Grum p, please yourself
ski holidays
Meanwhile in Aosta.
Been to see the Bolshoi ballet do Romeo and Juliet tonight, live broadcast from Moscow, at the cinema. Snacks and fizzy wine in the intervals.

@HammondR, here’s me thinking grum p was your sock.
ski holidays
Still snowing heavy in cham village, wasnt the snowline supposed to rise as early as yesterday evening? Makes for a happy Staffsan! Smile
snow report
You’re lucky. Raining heavily in Verbier at 1500m all night
snow report
avalanche risk is getting ridiculous now. carrefour's been closed just outside of town and its been mentioned that they are assessing the risk around the rockypop hotel. no wonder they got the land so cheap lol.
snow report
@eddiethebus, Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
The back road from Les Praz from the old Rabbit on the Roof site through to nearly town is also now closed.
snow conditions
just so long as it doesnt effect half price burgers tonight i'll be happy Very Happy
snow report
Raining quite heavily in town now. I have had to set about cleaning my place and tuning/waxing skis to keep me out of the ale house.

@jbob, wonder if there is such a thing as Gare des Glaciers feaver?
ski holidays
Was anyone up GM today? It’d be interesting to hear how the snow was, and how high it’s been rained on if at all.
ski holidays
My missus says our downstairs neighbour went to GM today and had a great time. He said the Herse opened at 11am and was well skied by 1pm (skied out in his words, but that might be hyperbole).

The OH on the other hand went to Brevent as she was accompanying a beginner, and said it was 'not good' (she didn't actually use those words).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy