Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Real transfer time to Morzine on a Saturday

Poster: A snowHead
I am flying into Geneva on Saturday 13th January landing at 11.10 and wanting to assess my chances of getting a few hours afternoon skiing. I notice that an End Of Day pass exists from 2.30pm. Given the scheduled shared transfer is at 12 and they claim its 90 minutes, I wanted to find out if anyone had a more realistic view of travelling to Morzine on a Saturday in January
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds about right.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say it's doable as long as nothing goes wrong but some of the timing is a bit tight.

See this thread 'Geneva Airport - How long from landing to reach transfer bus?' http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69723

I don't think the journey in January is likely to be horrendous but all it takes is a road accident and that can change.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 7-12-17 12:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah sounds about right to me. i'd not get too excited about skiing on saturday though, i suspect by the time you've got into your apartment/hotel and kitted up it will be pushing 3ish anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick response. It sounds like we have a chance, thankfully we have our own kit so don't need to hire. Although given the above thread that might hold us up at the airport. My main concern was if the road to morzine was a traffic nightmare
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine isn't usually too bad to get to, it's in the valley so generally below the snow and can be approached from a couple of directions so it's not everyone on the same bit of tarmac. You're also outside school holiday hell (I think). Time-wise you can do it in just over an hour, with a good run, but remember with a shared transfer you might have to wait for other people and might be the last drop, rather than the first.

Your main pinch-point will probably be baggage collection - especially with skis. Zurich airport seem to get your bags on the carousel quicker than you can walk there, Geneva not so much. Also are you sorted for where your bags are going to go while you ski? If you can't get in until 4pm you'll be looking for a locker under the Pleney.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Travel time is realistic and it's low season. Possible buggeration factors include late flight arrivals and heavy snow. But you really won't mind heavy snow at the start of your holiday, will you?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alan_utchi, That's probably the most quiet Saturday of the 'season' so you have got a chance to get a few runs in.

If it's a shared transfer, maybe you could discreetly incentivise the transfer driver in advance at GVA airport to ensure you are the 1st drop off in resort? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And hope somebody hasn't incentivised him not to wait for your plane landing 40 minutes late. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alan_utchi, "a few hours" sounds extremely optimistic...

*an* hour perhaps if everything runs like clockwork and you have all your own equipment (but then if you have all your own equipment will you really clear GVA in 50 minutes, especially given the reported issues at passport control?)

chill out and save your admirable enthusiasm for Sunday would be my advice
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Red27 and I was getting all giddy about stealing a couple of hours. What passport control issues!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
Morzine isn't usually too bad to get to, it's in the valley so generally below the snow and can be approached from a couple of directions so it's not everyone on the same bit of tarmac. You're also outside school holiday hell (I think). Time-wise you can do it in just over an hour, with a good run, but remember with a shared transfer you might have to wait for other people and might be the last drop, rather than the first.

Your main pinch-point will probably be baggage collection - especially with skis. Zurich airport seem to get your bags on the carousel quicker than you can walk there, Geneva not so much. Also are you sorted for where your bags are going to go while you ski? If you can't get in until 4pm you'll be looking for a locker under the Pleney.

Last time I went to morzine took me 2 hours for my skis to turn up at GVA and I was flying shedule
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The last 2 times we went (mid March), big group of us, we managed to put a decent shift in on the mountain. That is despite having to trek miles with our bags just to get to the bus. If you are organised and all the stars align for you there is no reason why not. I'm taking my family on the 23rd and hoping to manage a few runs when we get there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's encouraging. If you think its possible with a family, there are only the two of us so we are in with a chance

I now await something to come along and burst my bubble
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I thought I would post an update on this for anyone interested. We did indeed manage to get on the slopes for 3pm on the transfer day. That was despite our transfer time been pushed back to 12.45, even then the driver didn't arrive until 1pm. We were lucky enough to be first drop off in Morzine (logis les Bruyeres) at 2.30 and managed to check in, change, and hot foot it over to the Pleney, grab a pass and be on the gondola for 3pm
ski holidays
@alan_utchi, you were lucky you were not transferring on one of the days when the road from Taninges was closed after mud slides.
ski holidays
It depends which company it is with.
Some who say they will leave at 12 do leave at 12, others will wait up to 90 mins for passengers, who through no fault of their own don't clear arrivals quickly.
You then need to factor in the 10 minute walk to the van, and as it is shared, they may be doing some drops in Les Gets first.
If it were a private transfer, then you'd be just dandy.
ski holidays
As long as it doesn't snow and there aren't loads of out of the way drop offs in Les Gets before you and there are no delays for the others arriving for the same transfer.....then 90mins should be doable. If it's a biggie for you to get the end of day ski in then look into hiring a car from the Swiss side, quick, easy, and sometimes cheaper than transfers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy