Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AOSTA VALLEY 2014/2015 (La Thuile, La Rosiere, Pila, Courmayeur...)

Poster: A snowHead
Wondered if helpful to create this......?

Seems there isn't one central thread for weather and snow updates to this region?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FiFi_Trixibell, Cos the various areas (can, often) get quite different weather and snow?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe just la ros & la thuile would be helpful given they are connected?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
Maybe just la ros & la thuile would be helpful given they are connected?

Be careful if you're out there. Even though connected, can be very different on one side to the other and quite common for people to get stranded away from their base resort and forking out for night's accommodation. Snow and high winds can come in very quickly on La Thuile whilst the South facing slopes of La Ros still basking in sunshine and no wind meaning the connection is closed.

Keep an eye on weather forecast and information in the resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That migt work. Do they have similar enough weather? I don't know them at all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just returned from La Rosiere and over in Italy on the La Thuile side. Have to say the snow conditions on the La Thuile (Italy) side of the mountains were very good. Real powder up to the top of our boots. You just had to be careful not to hit to many rocks. Under the 30cm (approx) of fresh snow there was a hard base in most places, but you did drop through onto grass etc so you had to be light on your skis. Did loads of stuff, nine different routes in total. Well worth the effort of getting their.

However I would not just go to La Rosiere side as the snow conditions off piste were poor with wind blown, hard packed and icy surfaces in most places with many rocks coming through.

The pistes on both sides have been kept in reasonable condition and were OK to ski. The kids snow parks were OK and the main snow parks have also started to be built.

The photos of the routes we did are in the 2015 Italy La Thuile La Rosiere trip album over on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going out 31 jan hopefully be good then Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hannysher, the forecast for this week looks great, something like 10cm plus for every day from Tuesday. Should be lovely for you with loads of fresh snow. Last week showed 80cm on Thursday 29th Shocked but that's spread out now a bit across the week it seems. Hoping that means the base will get a bit more solid as from the sounds of @snowcrazy, above it's still a bit thin in the odd few places. I'm there from the 8th so doing the usual snow pleas every day til then!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why not include Cervinia too then the whole valley is covered?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm in La Thuile for a week from the 1st, sounds like the snow conditions are good so far.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anybody out there who could provide updates from today?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Webcams looked like there's been fresh in Champoluc.

But that doesn't help.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apparantly somewhere in the region of 30cm fell today (forecasts show) - does anyone know what the impact is on resort in terms of lifts opening/closing when the weather closes in? Ie does the main gondola shut?

I'm hoping going out there on the 8th that this current snowfall will help improve the base and then ease off a tad while we're there for clear conditions (only if it's the kind of resort that grinds to a halt mind!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In la roz and its pow central
Loads of snow the last 72 hours
today visibility poor so after few runs retreated to le pub for beer and andy Murray match
Go andy go
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In la roz and its pow central
Loads of snow the last 72 hours
today visibility poor so after few runs retreated to le pub for beer and andy Murray match
Go andy go
snow report
Managed to post this in the monte rosa thread by accident. I blame the series of different alcohols i've just been fed in this highly pleasant apres bar I'm in:-

8611 wrote:
Skied cervinia, cervinia side of zermatt and valtournache today, 5 to 10 cm of fresh and spitting snow most of the day, off piste shin deep, best snow probably valtournache accumulating on piste there and fun to be had in the forest, hopefully get a guide for tomorrow. Snow in zermatt noticeably worse than italy, was the same when we were here a month ago.

Snowing lightly but persistently at moment. Visibility poor all day.
snow report
Managed to post this in the monte rosa thread by accident. I blame the series of different alcohols i've just been fed in this highly pleasant apres bar I'm in:-

8611 wrote:
Skied cervinia, cervinia side of zermatt and valtournache today, 5 to 10 cm of fresh and spitting snow most of the day, off piste shin deep, best snow probably valtournache accumulating on piste there and fun to be had in the forest, hopefully get a guide for tomorrow. Snow in zermatt noticeably worse than italy, was the same when we were here a month ago.

Snowing lightly but persistently at moment. Visibility poor all day.
snow report
More fresh, upper shin deep side piste in parts, nice softness on piste but snow is a little wet and heavy as temps warm. Guide tomorrow so will see what's out there.
snow report
Some good conditions yesterday despite the wind; great food and coffee over in Italy, all topped off with a descent all the way to the bottom roundabout at Séez...

snow report
Beautiful bluebird day in cervinia today, 20 - 30 cms had accumulated over last few days whiteouts but it was all gone by lunchtime

Warm but I suspect the pistes will be nice and soft for a while yet for anyone coming out Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Just arrived in Courmayeur: overcast on French side, bluebird here. Breakfast then a spot of skiing me thinks
ski holidays

...which turned out to be rather epic and the guide hadn't even arrived at that point! We think it's going to be a good week snowHead
ski holidays
Bluebird and fairly warm low down. Wind affected up high and some spicy wind slab to contend with. South slopes are starting to transform. Had a great ski today with 3 large descents around Courmayeur to ease into it snowHead
latest report
Sharkymark Amazing photo. Is that looking down over Entreves?
ski holidays
Its the excellent euro 1.60 coffee I love Cool
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Its the excellent euro 1.60 coffee I love Cool

And the food in Maison Vielle. Plus Christiana's tiny back terrace on sunny days.
snow conditions
@Zero_G, that name rings a bell. The big mountain on the right that isn't quite in view is called Mont Blanc or something like that.
ski holidays
Yesterday we flounced about in a helicopter but got two superb runs in: first was from Le Glacier de la Leé Blanche and the second was from a ridge on the opposite side to the valley just outside the Courmayeur ski area. Wind packed cold snow on the top of the glacier and spring snow at the base. The north facing ridge had excellent cold (albeit slightly wind packed) snow and a powdery base.

After a spot to eat we boot packed over the ridge from the traverse off the top cable car and scored some more freshies into the same bowl as the second heli drop. A superb day and memorable for all the right reasons snowHead

When the Italian internet decides to wake up I'll post some pics...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aosta valley was the place to be today: bell to bell in knee deep pow in the trees of La Thuile and not a soul other than us skiing it snowHead
snow report
Living the dream Sharky! enjoy, pics awaited with a mixture of desire and hatred
ski holidays
Alagna
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152581257625776.1073742001.173336390775&type=1

[img]https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/l/t1.0-9/s720x720/10959877_10152581391320776_4712717406614521822_n.jpg?oh=996ff2dc2e72620851e29147ef66e7b8&oe=555E1706[/img]
ski holidays
More Alagna, sunday 15th

http://youtube.com/v/ur11xpHlWiM
ski holidays
Managed to escape the hordes (not too hard) in La Thuile today...

snow report
Bella Valleta?
latest report
@norris, yep
ski holidays
Thought I recognized it Cool
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, That looks lush!! You're not wrong though, definitely not difficult to escape the crods wink
latest report
Please help if you can:

I'm arriving in Alagna on Saturday for an off-piste week with SCGB. Can't wait and all that as the forecast and snowfall is mega, but I've a problem....
For reasons both complicate and naive, I have a BCA Float Avalanche backpack - but without a compressed air cannister!
Can anyone with any local knowledge point me in the direction of a shop/hire shop that may be able to help. Puzzled

Many thanks in advance
snow report
Just arrived in Courmayeur, it's raining rolling eyes
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
Just arrived in Courmayeur, it's raining rolling eyes

Rain in the valley = snow up top Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy