Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

beginner in avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, can anyone give me a bit of advice please ...... my wife is coming skiing with me and friends to Morzine in jan.. she had a couple of days last march with me and friends in samoens and did well so I plan to take her for a few days 17/12 - 20/12 to Morzine for a non stop beginners ski trip. I thought the Morzine/Les Gets area opened on the 15th Dec but it doesnt Sad , having said that there is a possibility it will open due to the snow they are forecasting so all will be good Smile BUT, if it doesn't open then Avoriaz should be. I have skied the area a few times but never took notice of the beginners area- SO, could someone please give me a bit of advice regarding the following...

The Prodains lift - once at the top is there another lift to the beginners area ?

If there is another lift to the beginners area - what is the slope like back down to top of the Prodains lift from the beginners area. If needed can the lift take you back to the top of Prodains lift or is it walkable ?

What is your views of the Avoriaz beginners area

Hope someone who knows the area can help

Cheers

John Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi John

From the top of Prodains there is the Plateau chair that takes you to the beginners area at the top of Avoriaz.
From there you can access the green runs and drag lifts in and around the main beginners area. From here you can ski under the Plateau chair to the top of Prodains. That area can be really busy so depending on how much of a beginner Mrs John is and the location of your accommodation I would head over to Lindarets.

From Morzine catch the A bus from town that takes you to to the Ardent telecabine. There is a small beginners area, next to the ESF Lindarets hut, served by a drag lift and there are plenty of blue runs served by the Prolays, Lechere and Brochaux chairs. If the snow is ok and Mrs John ok then there is a blue, can get icy, down to Ardent. Or catch the telecabine back down to catch the A bus back to Morzine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the Super Morzine and the links to Avoriaz are open then the Zore chair (top of Super M) has some really nice blues running under it to get her going. From the top of Zore there is a boring green that anybody can ski down to the Proclou chair that goes in Avoriaz. If she has done well previousy I would hazard that theses runs will build real confidence being wide and not too steep.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never having skied Avoriaz with beginners, take anything I say with that caveat in place.

I don’t think I’d want to take a “nervous” beginner down the Run under the plateau chair, unless it’s changed. It can be very busy and is not particularly flat in places. Maybe ski through the village and pick up an elevator exiting at the top of the Prodains bubble? Mind you, if your wife is sufficiently confident, mo problem.

Super Morzine might be a better option. Hard to know without knowing how confident your wife is.

I would totally not think a rank beginner would enjoy the run from Lindarets to Ardent!

At the end of the day however, thousands of people learn to ski in most ski resorts without problem!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a note on the run back down under the plateaux chair, it can get pretty busy as a sort of home run and fairly choppy and scattered with skiers of varying ability. Depends on the confidence of the group I guess.

The big run under Proclou is ideal to build confidence as @KennyEveritt says above, did lots of laps on that with my other half who’s still learning on the first day just to get her confidence up, it’s super wide and nice easy pitch.

Abricotine in Lindarets bowl is also a nice long blue to go on too, a few flat spots nearer the bottom but nice and wide in parts and nothing challenging to go at.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
I would totally not think a rank beginner would enjoy the run from Lindarets to Ardent!
+1

He speaks the truth - absolutely not for beginners. Nor is the run from the ridge above the Plateau chair to Lindarets.

I would say the beginners area in Avoriaz is the best bet and if the run under the Plateau chair looks too hairy it is walkable (or skiable) through the village to the Prodains lift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the Mrs is doing well then then maybe ski down the blue pistes of Proclou and Tetras. (It's a a nice long journey).

(Through a tunnel at the bottom of the plateau area).

At the bottom of Proclou piste take Serausaux chair and ski across and over Zore piste and down Tetras. (Avoid going down Zore piste as it has a 'dodgy' patch 3/4 the way down).

Then use Zore Chair and Proclu Chair to return to the Plataeu area.

There is only really one piste to get back from the plataeu area to the Top of Prodains cable car and its called the Boulevard des Skiers (It's more a thoroughfare than a piste). It can get a little busy and a bit choppy at the end of the day and is a little narrow but should be ok when your out there as it should be very quiet in Avoriaz.

Deffo don't ski the Mrs down Crot (to the bottom of Prodains telecabin) It's a blue but is twisty and steep in places.

As @charliesimpson, suggests. If she is doing well there are some nice blues on the way down to Linderets.

https://www.avorinet.com/maps

Have fun
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, how do you ski through the village to the top of the bubble?

It’s been a long time since I tried to do that!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had to do that last year when it started thundering and lightning (yes really) and they closed virtually all of the lifts. Prodains was our only route back to Morzine. Not sure which route we took but somehow just ended up there. I think it must be signposted from the top of Proclou etc but I was following a mate and not taking much notice. We didn't need any extra lifts or escalators.

Or are you talking about the Super Morzine?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KennyEverett, sure you went through rather than past the village?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If buildings on both sides classes as going through the village then through it was. Raining at the time so it was head down and suck it up buttercup just to get out of it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the plateau there are 2 tunnels and a bridge towards the resort centre.
One tunnel has a double drag coming up through it ( avoid that one ), the bridge is the Boulevard des skieurs which looks flat and benign at the top, but as others attest becomes narrower, steeper, choppy and busy.
Take the tunnel without the drags, this leads onto a nursery run that runs alongside the drags back down to the Village des Enfants.
From here you can either take your skis off, and walk down to the Post office, through the corridor and down the elevator to the top of the Prodanis bubble, or from just before the post office, ski down the road between Marco's bar and the bowling, the road looks like it just goes straight to an apartment block ( Cedrat ), but the road then swings right, and you go between the Taiga and Pas du Lac apartments, straight down to the bubble.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all, a massive thanks for the info, a few things are coming back to me now after reading your posts. I remember the run back to the prodains lift now and yes it was busy narrow and deffo not for my wife at this stage ...... It would be better if there is a route through the centre and from what I read there is .... I also now remember(ish) the route back to the super Morzine lift which hopefully on day 3 she will be able to do with confidence ........ At the top of the super Morzine lift is there a beginners area ? because we are staying at le Sherpa ( cheap and cheerful) and that would be easier for us to get to and perfect for ski hire from the shop in Morzine that's close to the lift station .....
Any other advice or suggestions re avoriaz area would be most welcome ..... Regards and thanks Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a beginner area as such but the runs under the Proclou and Zore chairs are shallow and wide. 2 absolute beginners joined our group last year and came on leaps and bounds by spending a couple of hours on there with a couple of the other lads. Beats the hell out of messing about with the bus.

If you hire your skis from ABC Skiset (on the roundabout by the Super Morzine) you can store your skis there overnight meaning you can have a leisurely stroll up in normal footwear and only have to walk 50 yards or so in your ski boots to the Super M
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, as above. Take the Plateau lift at the top of the Prodains and you're in the beginner area, with some very gentle runs down to and past the Proclou lift, that would be perfect for a beginner. My 4 year old was perfectly fine on them, so I'm sure your wife will be too.

When you head back, the run directly under the Plateau lift is very gentle at top and it's only the final section that can be a bit choppy and steeper, although if she's got her ski legs on by then, it's only short, so she may well be fine. Alternatively, go back via the Super Morzine lift, if Zore is open, as it's a very wide open blue.
latest report
Great memories of the bar in the Sherpa...
Back to topic, I took my then girlfriend down Zorre (under the super Morzine chair) on her first day back on skis for a while and she had a bad time. Its surprisingly steep in places (especially for a beginner), and was pretty cut up later in the day. She swore plenty, and then to top it off had to endure the loos at the top of the bubble as it made her feel sick Skullie
The bunny slopes at the top of Plenny were good for finding her feet, as despite the number of skiers they were all slow moving, if you ski Morzine side then you can always get the gondola back down rather than risk the busy blue.
If Super Morzine isnt open then the Prodains lift followed by the super slow chair (which I remember taking both ways) to the greens opposite the baby park should be fine. She should then be able to take the cruisy greens / blue down to the proclou / serresaux lifts
Enjoy it, I love Morzine and for beginners its great.
snow conditions
TheGingerPrince wrote:
Great memories of the bar in the Sherpa...

The bunny slopes at the top of Plenny were good for finding her feet, as despite the number of skiers they were all slow moving, if you ski Morzine side then you can always get the gondola back down rather than risk the busy blue.
If Super Morzine isnt open then the Prodains lift followed by the super slow chair (which I remember taking both ways) to the greens opposite the baby park should be fine. She should then be able to take the cruisy greens / blue down to the proclou / serresaux lifts
Enjoy it, I love Morzine and for beginners its great.

A massive thanks again to everyone for the advice and info .....
For ginger prince - my thoughts was to take her back down on the super slow lif you mention back to top of prodains lift if all else fails (as in she fails lol ) so that is doable then ?

Just for your info ( I am nothing to do with Sherpa) - the Sherpa had a great pre exmas deal on at the moment £100/ person for up to 4 nights inc breakfast .... Obv it's taking a bit of a chance with the snow for Morzine les gets bowl but avoriaz is basically nailed on ..... And I understand is opening next week cos if snow conditions with Morzine opening on the 16th Dec ...... So hopefully it will be the top of the plenny for my wife ....
latest report
I think you are in with a reasonable chance for Pleney.
snow conditions
Quote:

my thoughts was to take her back down on the super slow lif you mention back to top of prodains lift if all else fails (as in she fails lol ) so that is doable then ?

Yeah, its the slowest lift in the world(tm) but the run down to Changabang / cable car is so tight, busy and probably icey (with a massive slow down sign right in the middle...) that I'd take her on the chair.
Pleney is looking great. Enjoy Bar Robinsons!
snow report
@shieldsy, another way to get back to the top of Prodains lift without sounding American is to use an elevator.

If you ski back down from the Platueu through Avoriaz village, pass the tourist office, and get as far as wild horses saloon and then ski/push/mush to your right and follow the footpath/piste and find the bowling alley with the the bowling alley on your right there is a set of steps into an apartment building.

Its a public right of way and you proceed along a footpath inside a building and there is an public elevator (Lift).

This takes you down one level and you come out just a little bit up from Chang a bang burger joint.

If you ask in the tourist office in avoriaz village (opposite a fab cafe/bakery good value for cheap lunch) the tourist office guys will point you in the right direction to find the elevator
latest report
@shieldsy,
more info about getting throught the village to the top of Prodains telecabin.

, ski down through the village past the tourist office and past Carrefour supermarket (Rue des Trainaux Central)
once past the village des enfants bear right towards Place des Ruches
Head towards monte des melezes
then two options.
Unclip ski's and walk down the steps i was talking about in earlier post and take elevator down one level or.....
Ski/mush push down montee des melezes and corniche des haute forts

see link to a map of the village.

http://www.skiavoriaz.co.uk/winter/apartment.aspx
latest report
@shieldsy,
the elevator i was talking about is in the haut forts building just a few yards up from chang a bang burger joint.

This map might help.

have a great trip
http://www.avoriaz-airport-transfers.com/images/infobox/avoriaz-village-map.jpg
snow report
Hiya that's great thank you ..... It looks like all areas are opening early due to great snow Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy