Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Climbing skins with and without glue, with and without straps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've seen a listing for old climbing skins with side straps (I assume they're truly glueless skins, not the newer silicone sticky ones) and I'm wondering if straps and lack of glue apart their use as climbing skins puts large stress in their tip attachment (leading to skin tearing at that point on the long run) or if even glued skins (with tip and tail attachments) are glued more for avoiding some side movement of it by keeping it sticked thru friction rather than to reduce stress on tip and tail attachments.

Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skins with side straps instead of glue must be truly ancient, avoid. Get the best and keep them in good condition, problems with skins can be extremely frustrating, and your companions won’t be too pleased either.
There is a modern system of glueless skins, which do “stick”.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are they the orange "fish scale" type? If so they're pretty solid assuming they're in ok condition, grip ok but lack a bit of glide.........I used to sell these but they never took off
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gecko skins are glue-less and work - don't mess with old skins - they will be a disaster and risk your groups enjoyment and your safety. A skin detaching at the wrong time can put you in a precarious situation very fast.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure I have even seen skis with side straps, and I certainly didn't use them. On the other side I had "luck" to be using these new and so cool vacum/gecko skins, and I never ever want to see that sh**it again on my skis. They work great if you put them on at home, when skins are dry and skis are dry, and you go out in cold dry snow. But in case you have any even very remote wish to take skins off, do one run, and maybe, just maybe climb back up for second run, you better have some glue tape with you or be ready to suffer all the way up. Same thing goes, if you go out into wet snow, then already first ascend is gonna be real "fun".
So for me, there's only one way of skins... the ones with glue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/mjEG9xCuQic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah they're of that old kind without glue, though not as old (they were probably still using that attachment method in the '80s).
My question is: since skins (either with and without glue) are kept from sliding away when walking uphill by tip and tail attachments, what was the purpose of those side straps before glue was used?
Just to keep the skin from detaching too much from the ski thus allowing snow buildup or did they also lower pulling stress on tip attachments (as I guess glue does on newer skins) ?

Thank you
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alfredo, modern skins exert almost no stress on the tip. The clip stops snow getting in and helps in putting them on. Skins work with or without tail clips, I’ve used both. I’ve been touring since 1982 and have never seen that type of skin used.
Do you ask out of general interest or are you thinking of using them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ones I dealt with were from the 80's, made of a similar material to BD's STS tail clips, fish scale bottoms, normal tip 'n' tail attachment, but because they were glueless, had a built-in strap around the centre to prevent them slipping sideways....
I demoed them and they were actually pretty good, surprised nothing has really replaced them since.
Was out with Weathercam and the OH yesterday and she was having terrible trouble with her modern "glueless" skins, fine when all is dry, but......
So, cheap enough, giv'em a go Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alfredo, share the listing (won't buy them honest!) and I'll take a look......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am asking more about general interest than anything else, however if they're usable I wouldn't mind to use them to ski downhill without taking them off. Right now I am always reluctant to use my skins for this since they're quite new and I keep them on only for climbing, so that I should hopefully get more lasting use of the nylon/mohair by avoiding the added friction.

It's a local listing on a newspaper, I did have a look at them by person, they're like the ones davidof poked fun at me with Smile but newer and whitish (probably swiss army surplus or something like that), however I wasn't sure of the usability and how to check the mohair grip without applying them on skis, so didn't buy any even if they were cheap.

About modern skins, is it glue stickiness that prevents stress on tip attachment? Or is it more about preventing sideway slip as KenX said?

Thank you Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If they're like Davidof's skins ( he's not poking fun btw, that's what he uses Very Happy), then they're probably polar bear skins, ferociously grippy........
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And re modern skins, yes on both counts, the tip and tail clips locate the skin, the glue keeps them on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy