Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to and around Peisey/ Les Arc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads!

My first post, be gentle with me.

I'm looking for some expert knowledge of the shuttle bus between Peisey and Arc 1800. Does anyone know how long it take? According to Google Maps it takes 20 - 25 mins to drive, but the bus could either be super quick or desperately slow! We're staying right by the bottom of the lobster pots.

Second question, because the advisors from Eurostar are idiots, is about what luggage you can take on the train.

You can take skis/ snowboards as one of you're pieces of luggage. We have a Douchebag that holds both boards and some boots and bindings. Has anyone had that sort of bag rejected because it's too big and bulky?

It's convenient for us to use it, but if it's going to cause a real problem we can borrow a basic board bag and just put everything else in normal luggage.

Your expert advice is greatly anticipated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HuxBux, Welcome to SH

Can't help with train question I'm afraid, but in terms of shuttle bus then few questions for you!

Most of the year, any bus from Peisey to Arc 1800 has to go down to valley floor, along and then up to 1800. As such will take time.
I'm not sure that such a service exists! Timetables I've found are here https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/winter/free-shuttle-bus.html
In later season they do open up a forest road between Vallandry and 1800, it's very narrow and twisty so will be slow. The only time I've known that to be open is when you can't ski back to Peisey

Why do you need to get to 1800 if you don't mind me asking?

The Lobster Pots take you to Peisey and one lift from there takes you into main ski area
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HuxBux, The road between Peisey and Arc1800 is closed during the winter and it is only possible to drive during the summer where it takes about 5 - 10 minutes. Even if the road is snow free during winter it remains closed.

IIRC at some point last season a shuttle bus did run between the villages but that was purely because snow was in very short supply and the linking pistes were closed

It takes about 30 minutes to walk between Vallandry and Arc 1800.

Sorry cannot help with the train.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Guys!

I'm basing this on the info from Lesarcnet.com. They list the Peisey Vallandry shuttle bus, and show a service, Line 3(b), that runs in the winter, and goes to Vallandry and then on to Arc 1800.

http://medias.peisey-vallandry.com/documents/17_navettes/Fiche_horaire_du_04-02-17_au_04-03-17.pdf

Of course it says nothing about the route. If it goes down the mountain and around the houses it'll be no good.

The reason we want to get from Peisey to Arc 1800 by bus is because there are some group lessons running from there that I wast to book for my son. The lessons are through Cariboo, and cost only E189 for 6 half days!

Other options are much more expensive.

We could ski to the lessons, but we might not get around the mountain in time for the morning lessons (9.30) or back again with a tired child - lessons finish at 5pm.

It's all very tricky!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HuxBux, the route that is showing would be using the direct road from Vallandry to 1800, but that's covered in snow most of the time so can only assume that it was a one-off as the dates given were 04/02/17 - 04/03/17

May be worth contacting tourist office to ask, they may have introduced one and keeping that route clear.

You'd struggle to get there for 9:30 I think without an early start on lifts. Appreciate the extra cost but myself (and others here) can recommend New Generation who are based in Vallandry
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
@HuxBux, the route that is showing would be using the direct road from Vallandry to 1800, but that's covered in snow most of the time so can only assume that it was a one-off as the dates given were 04/02/17 - 04/03/17

May be worth contacting tourist office to ask, they may have introduced one and keeping that route clear.

You'd struggle to get there for 9:30 I think without an early start on lifts. Appreciate the extra cost but myself (and others here) can recommend New Generation who are based in Vallandry

Assuming the bus is running for the period that Huxbux is on holiday then the pink line in that map definitely suggests it's running along a back road as it suggests it goes direct from Vallandry to 1800 - compare and contrast with the lightblue, yellow lines which definitely talk about going via BSM. Assuming it's the same bus going both ways, then they'd be doing well to go from the Vanoise Hotel at 08:30 and being in les Arcs for 08:45 if they went via BSM, surely it takes about 15 minutes just to get down to landry.

As to skiing there, then it's just get on the peisey lift and the 'classic' run through the forest, I would have thought that provided you make first lifts then as long as you are reasonable on blues then you should be able to make it to the main snow front in 1800 in time. Getting back would be a touch harder - with lessons finishing at 17:00, you might well have missed 'last-lift'.

Huxbux as to other lesson options then ESF in Plan-Peisey generally did ok (admittedly I haven't been there in close to 10 years now)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HuxBux, I'm certain I've seen a few people take douchebag style bags onto the Eurostar ski train, I've not been stopped with my Sportube which measures at around 190cm in length with my 180 skis inside. I doubt you will have any problems as Eurostar ski trains tend to keep rows of seats vacant in order to take on all ski and board bags.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HuxBux wrote:
lessons finish at 5pm.

That's a bit mad to finish lessons after the lifts close Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

HuxBux wrote:
lessons finish at 5pm.
That's a bit mad to finish lessons after the lifts close Puzzled

Depending on the calander the main link lifts close after 5pm. Anyway you can ski direct from Arc1800 to Vallandry then get the bus to Peisey.

If this shuttle bus does run later in the season then it will certainly reduce the anxiety about getting the last Vanoise Express lift and missing the Peisey lift.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The shuttle service has been running for the last 2 years, it was introduced when there was a lack of snow but has been continued ever since.It takes about 20 minutes from Peisey, although sometimes the bus doesn’t actually service all the stops, depending on how the driver is feeling.

With regards taking a douchebag on the Eurostar I’ve done it myself on numerous occasions, it won’t be a problem.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The shuttle service has been running for the last 2 years, it was introduced when there was a lack of snow but has been continued ever since.It takes about 20 minutes from Peisey, although sometimes the bus doesn’t actually service all the stops, depending on how the driver is feeling.

With regards taking a douchebag on the Eurostar I’ve done it myself on numerous occasions, it won’t be a problem.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@wills_h, can understand it running with lack of snow, but if there is reasonable snow can't see how it actually can? I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They’ll just clear the road same as they do any other road, cars are not allowed on it, only the bus. I’ve used it quite a few times for a couple of apres drinks at the Mont Blanc bar
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah ok interesting, well if that's the case then problem sorted for the OP
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone!

You guys are amazing - you've totally entered into my mad scheming . . .

After looking at the earlier posts I realised it would be pretty easy to get the boy there for a lesson at 2.30 by going up the Peisey lift. Luckily we've been there a few times before, so I know those lifts and runs fairly well.

@bertie bassett, @red 27, Good point about lessons finishing after 5. I did see that we could ski to Vallandry from 1800, but it would be better if we can get the TransArc to the mid-station, then we can get back to Peisey. Fingers crossed we can get on a last lift?? However, sounds like the bus might be a goer after all -

Thanks @wills_h,! Really good news about the buses. It at least gives us options to get back in the evening. But looking at the timetable, they don't run during the afternoon to get the little one there at 2.30, so we'll have to ski him there. We've got a nanny who was going to be dropping him off. Don't suppose you know whether they're allowed to ski with the kids? She's from Snow Little. If not, we'll have to go and meet her in Peisey or Vallandry and take him there ourselves.

Thanks too for the reassurance about the luggage on EuroStar. The person I spoke to on the online chat with Eurostar asked me if the bag was under 85cm!!!

@Boris, Totally agree about NewGen, they're awesome! We used them last year and have booked again for the half-term week, but they don't do group lessons the week before, so we had to find an alternative.

Honestly can't thank you all enough, not sure how I would have got this info elsewhere! I'm going to make a donation

snowHead
ski holidays
@HuxBux, you'll probably find the person you were talking online to Eurostar was basing it on their regular service trains and maybe had little idea on how the Eurostar ski train worked.

Are you on the daytime ski train or the night one? Just to inform you if you are on the night train, you can't take alcohol onto it but you can on the day one.
latest report
@HuxBux, not sure if you mentioned when you are going but later in the season some of the lifts I think may be open a bit later. We stayed in Peisey last year and spoke to our chalet manager about how we could get back from Arc 1800 side if we got stuck on that side (high winds one day) and he said it would be a long (very expensive) taxi ride or there were some buses but I am fairly sure they go all the way to the bottom of the valley and back up so around 30 to 40 minutes??
ski holidays
@HuxBux, though this year's lift times have yet to be published. IIRC the last vagere was at about 17:20 last season; though they are usually earlier earlier in the season.
@tonyswift, I am suprised your chalet manager didn't mention shank's pony. You see lots of people walking between the two villages. Or even simply skiing between the two (well at least as close as Vallandry). For a bus to go down to BsM and up to Peisey will take more than an hour
latest report
@johnE, No, he didn't mention walking - not sure I'd have fancied that anyway - probably would just have gone for the expensive taxi option!! And you are right - I think he mentioned around the hour mark as well!!!!
latest report
I'm trying to get a copy of the timetable for the bus for this year for you, howevwer it's proving elusive at the moment although a friend who owns a bar in 1800 has been told that it is definitely running again this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy