Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted warm clothing for homeless people.

Poster: A snowHead
Not quite sure how this might work but here goes. Iím doing a collection with my climbing club of clothing for the ever increasing number of homeless in Birmingham. Iíve already got a load of coats and fleeces and importantly gloves. If youíre local and have anything suitable which is basically anything thatís clean then please let me know.
If youíre too far away maybe think about donating it to a local charity.
Thanks.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By coincidence I've just cleared out my sock drawer as I was awash with skiing, shooting, hill-walking & kilt socks, many of which are unused & in original packaging. I'd be happy to post these to an address of your choice,
ATB, John
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@McKenzie, many thanks Iíll pm you.
No skein dhub in the kilt socks I hope.
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know anywhere in Leeds area I can take some stuff? We gave a bundle recently to a friend who knew a Manchester place but Iíd like to drop some warm clothes into a homeless shelter in Leeds....
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, these people will know.
https://www.changegrowlive.org/content/leeds-street-outreach-service
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We can leave coats and jackets outside the Assembly Rooms in Chichester for homeless to help themselves.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jbob, cheers Iíll make contact
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Snow Centre is also collecting ski gear for the homeless again this christmas: https://www.thesnowcentre.com/snowsure/news/donateunwantedsnowwearkeepthehomelesswarminwinter
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having done some work with The Basement in Liverpool, which is one of the city's main homeless charities; can I suggest that you seek the help of one of the city's established homeless charities when distributing such things?

I know that here, it's not uncommon for stuff to be donated to people sat on the side of the street and then be washed and on eBay within a few days because the person on the street either (a) sold it for drug money, or (b) is part of an organised begging gang where the gang leaders take their takings at the end of each day (again often in exchange for a tiny score or something).

Getting in touch with one of the homeless organisations that know the people and the scene a bit better, will help such items go to people who'll actually be benefited by them over the coldest months, rather than further lining the pockets of the unscrupulous asshats that perpetuate the problem.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dp, thanks for the tip, itís my intention to go through one of the Birmingham Outreach Organizations, they are helpfully specific about what is useful.

In the search of my own stuff for useful items Iíve turned up a duvet jacket, thatís over forty years old with patched sleeves, not sure what it might fetch on eBay but Iíll most likely hang on to it for old time sake. I last used it for walking to the pub 13 years ago when I was living in Argentiere, on a mountain twenty years before that.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I served in the military, we were originally issued fleeces which absolutely nobody wore because:
a) as standard with army clothing, they used the "one size fits none" sizing system
b) The synthetic wool cuffs made your wrists itch outrageously
c) If it got wet it took 9 weeks in a drying room to get it to the stage of 'slightly damp'

As a result, everyone bought Snugpak Softie jackets because they defeated the above issues rather well. But then like all things, Montane came along and produced a similar alternative, so did TNF, so did Helly Hansen, and then all the cheap military brands like Web-Tex and Jack Pike came and made crap ones as well. And the head shed officers who have nothing better to do hate seeing variety on the men, but do generally dislike the moaning of cold soldiers even more. And so, the army produced a copy of the Softie jacket called the Extreme Cold Weather Reversible Jacket... or, I expect because it's the army, "Jacket, Reversible, Extreme Cold Weather". (Reversible because rather than make a desert one and a green one, they put one colour on the inside and the other on the outside. Evidently nobody was told that (a) it's generally not very cold in the desert, and (b) when it is really cold in the desert, everyone just wears their green stuff because it's a war and nobody is actually that bothered about looking uniformed (although looking uninformed is pretty standard). You'll be pleased to know that:
a) like the fleece, it follows the rules of the army's 'one size fits none' sizing scheme
b) does indeed make you extremely warm but due to having no breathability (it's made of some sort of plastic which appears to be the next grade down from what bin liners are made from), makes you sweat uncontrollably as soon as you move
c) only got issued to new recruits, not to existing soldiers... so this meant everyone carried on wearing their mixed branded snugpak/montane/TNF jackets because they weren't entitled to (and didn't want) an issue one... and upon leaving training, all the new guys went and bought mixed branded snugpak/montane/TNF jackets because they didn't want to look like new guys.

Anyway the point of the story is that because nobody actually wears the army's issue ones, there is a warehouse at Donnington the size of an average self storage facility that is basically full of these jackets and their counterpart trousers. If anyone in the government had an ounce of (a) common sense and (b) compassion, we could keep the UK's homeless population warm without a single donation and the military would not even notice.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Their NBC suits were warm. I wondered what MoD did with them after the charcoal filter linings had been exposed and so were no longer fit for purpose. Those would be great in cold weather, I would try to snag one and wear the top over battledress just for the warmth.
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dp, that sounds a familiar story. I remember talking to a guy from Cotswold who supplied a lot of stuff to army lads, he told me that whenever there was a war on they would clean him out of stuff that actually worked. A few of us once bought some very nice large rucksacks there cheaply because they were olive green. However 8 lads with olive rucksacks did attract unwelcome attention at border crossings in South America!
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, it had become CBRN by my time Very Happy

But yeah, agreed noddy suit jackets were both warm and waterproof. I always thought the trousers were shiite though and no matter how hard you tried with the fireman style braces they always ended up halfway down your legs by the end of the day. The NBC gloves were pretty good for washing up too. NBC overboots though... there's a memory. Has anything in history ever been so ill-conceived? Mine came out of the packet looking like they'd been manufactured in a blender...

@jbob, yep 'actually works' is the key criteria that the MOD tends to miss. We had a local military surplus store and he basically had 85% of the shop full of cheap brand lookalike military gear for cadets and paintball. Then he had what was known as squaddies corner, because there was just an essential hardcore of equipment that every single soldier bought the day they came out of training.
Basically: Lowa or Altberg combat boots, Snugpak sleeping bag, Snugpak jacket, Camelbak, Motherlode daysack, hip pad for your webbing, bridgedale socks, sealskinz gloves and some helly hansen base layers. Just because yes these are basically all the things that the army's issue version was absolutely terrible either because it didn't do what it was fundamentally meant to do, or because it was extremely massive and/or extremely heavy.

So it does naturally annoy me that when there is a huge backlog of sleeping bags, goretex bivvy bags, waterproof shelters, thermal clothing etc - you know all the stuff that yes, maybe the soldiers hate it because it's big, heavy and clumsy... but it is actually warm, waterproof and hard wearing - sat in defence stores, they pay a company (Withams) to sell it, whilst the government complain that there is no money to help homeless people.
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
Anyone know anywhere in Leeds area I can take some stuff? We gave a bundle recently to a friend who knew a Manchester place but Iíd like to drop some warm clothes into a homeless shelter in Leeds....

I've taken food (after parties/functions etc) several times to the Crypt in Leeds (next to LGI), I would have thought clothes would be received gratefully too. Best ring first though, i always have with the food, 0113 245 9061.
snow conditions     
@dp, so, the military stuff being "massive" is a problem to you why?
latest report     
@midgetbiker haha because somehow they had a knack of making it massive on the outside whilst tiny on the inside.

The Snugpak sleeping bag which is 210cm long packs down to a sphere of approx 20cm diameter. The issue sleeping bag which is 190cm long, packs down to a rugby ball shape object about 50cm x 30cm. Go figure.
ski holidays     
My parcel is in the post now, although slightly less than I'd initially expected due to my wife spying some of the unopened packaging & 'completing her Christmas shopping'.

Well done for initiating a very worthy venture.
snow report     
@McKenzie, thanks, Iím interested to see the kilt socks Smile With me itís the other way round, my wife is busy finding stuff and saying I havenít seen you wear this recently.
Iím hoping to take the stuff in Thursday or Friday.
Thanks again.
latest report     
Admire your initiative. Too far away from you -- I'll donate to a local charity. More power to you, my friend!
ski holidays     
@jbob, cycling past St Philip's Cathedral this morning I saw a rack of warm clothing outside, with a sign along the lines of "If you're cold take one, if you'd like to help leave one."

Nice to see a few initiatives around the city - it is getting very cold now.

There was also "The Big Sleepout" there a couple of weeks ago, which looked very well attended when I saw it - and I think was a great initiative to get people thinking about homelessness. http://www.stbasils.org.uk/sleepout/
snow report     
@fixx, it was the last cold snap that got me thinking.
I realised how much old newish stuff I had lying about and guessed many of my friends would have the same which proved to be right. I like the idea of a rack Iíll tell the charity people about it.
latest report     
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6343418873748033536/
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy