Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for a cheap (old?) option to ski moguls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am getting back into skiing after many years away. My K2 KVC 8.3 Comp seem a little outdated so thought I'd post a question here.

While I am looking for a freeride ski, and am checking various threads and product reviews, I've also concluded that I need a separate ski for occasional mogul runs. I.e. I intend to spend a fair bit on freeride equipment but I also want to take a second pair with me and leave by the lift to allow for some mogul runs.

Moguls would be secondary and I don't mind getting an older ski, point is I will not spend a lot of money here. I just ski for fun. I'm male 40+, 183cm and weigh 90kg.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Comandante, you mean you take two pairs up the hill?

You’re mad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thank you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just googled those ski’s, 1988? Yeah things have moved on a little.....

I’d just give the moguls a go on whatever ski you pick up, you’ll most likely be pleasantly surprised

Out of interest, what led you to the conclusion that you need to take two sets of skis out with you?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember those skis, pink top skin IIRC, I had the green TRC's , they went in a skip 20 yers although a great ski back then. I did a mogul course earlier this year, instructor was on some 90 mm wide skis, and he's been a pro mogul skier. If you've still got the KVC's I'd take them off you for posterity reasons!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 2-12-17 8:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You might find a pair of Salomon Force 9 3S skis in a museum somewhere I guess. I had a pair and thought they were the business back in the day.

Nowadays moguls are not really a discipline in themselves, just something you come across off-piste every so often. Just use whatever you're wearing at the time - all-mountain skis will be fine as long as they're not too wide.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My blizzards are near 100mm and perfectly lovely in bumps.

And everything else.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
You might find a pair of Salomon Force 9 3S skis in a museum somewhere I guess. I had a pair and thought they were the business back in the day.

Nowadays moguls are not really a discipline in themselves, just something you come across off-piste every so often. Just use whatever you're wearing at the time - all-mountain skis will be fine as long as they're not too wide.

I had some of those as well, they replaced my K2's, never liked them as much as the K2's though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nostalgia rocks. Had the K2 TNCs (the GS buddy to the more SL-oriented KVC) as my first ever pair of brand new skis (working in the shop discount) - bright fluoro (as was the fashion) green sidewalls, great lengths of which promptly blew out - no damage to edges just from flexing. Swapped for another new pair - no issues. Fab powder ski (different times caveat) but that may all just be in the head as there was (comparatively) no-one else on the mountain (further different times caveat).

End of nostalgia and back on topic: moguls of the KVC age are not allowed to grow by the nanny resorts (or are pushed to or over the side of corduroy strips) so are rarely encounterred but you can seek them out... unavoidable cliffy moguls or steps develop on well travelled choke points exiting backcountry routes - having a dedicated bump ski is not necessary or sensible (if you are going to carry two sets on the hill rolling eyes - wow). All mountain front side skis are fine for bumps, as already stated, and heavenly in late season slush bumps - now you're talking (mainly because slush bumps are less stressful on my knees).

"Comandante" - Welcome back to skiing and I hope you enjoy the occasional bump field. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys - cheers for all the answers, glad to contribute a bit of nostalgia and thanks Grinning for the welcome back!

Yes the KVC was probably released around '88, sounds about right. They were what many aspiring mogul skiers used back then, at least in Scandinavia. I skied on them for a few years into the 90's. Have thereafter only rented whatever carving skis I've been given on occasional trips. I remember the TNC's as well haha my dad used to have a pair - good times.

I honestly had no idea that mogul sizes are limited by the resorts nowadays, too bad! I used to specifically go to places like Verbier and Chamonix and seek out bumps (would spend days in La Herse back then) but slush bumps in the spring are fun too Smile

I concluded I should use 2 pairs as my intent is to get a pair of big mountain skis as my my primary ones, with a likely width around 110mm. Wasn't planning on getting all-mountain front-side skis - piste skiing never interested me at all.

Interesting to hear that an instructor skied on 90mm width. For bumps specifically I suppose something all-mountainish that are few years old will do then.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I second those who say you don't need a second set of skis any more. A pair of new style free ride skis will handle moguls well, and anything else you need to do. I suppose if you are doing a full season you may want to pick and choose, but freeride skis will handle most stuff very well, .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again for the feedback. For the time being considering Volkl Mantra as an all-mountain compromise.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Comandante,
Quote:

For the time being considering Volkl Mantra as an all-mountain compromise.

Excellent choice.
You might find them a bit of a handful on your first couple of days back but it sounds like you were a pretty strong skier and it won't take much time to get everything working again.
Might suggest booking a private lesson for your second or third day. A couple of hours with an instructor might help you get the most of the "new" (for you at least) ski shapes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:

Nowadays moguls are not really a discipline in themselves, just something you come across off-piste every so often. .

You might want to tell that to Maidstone's finest, Ben Cavet https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?fiscode=2530514
Second in the worlds last year, and has a chance of getting a medal in the Winter Olympics.

There's an instructor based in the UK (Castleford ?) who does 3 or 4 weeks in the PdS each year, who is a really good moguls skier, and when I see him out here he can ski moguls well on anything from carvers, rockhoppers, all mountain etc.
I think it's because he has good technique, not necessarily good skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
@Comandante,
Quote:

For the time being considering Volkl Mantra as an all-mountain compromise.

Excellent choice.
You might find them a bit of a handful on your first couple of days back but it sounds like you were a pretty strong skier and it won't take much time to get everything working again.
Might suggest booking a private lesson for your second or third day. A couple of hours with an instructor might help you get the most of the "new" (for you at least) ski shapes.

Good stuff - thanks for your feedback!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy