Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski areas reachable by train from airport

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a weekend trip and wondering whether we can avoid hiring a car for a change and take a train from the airport. Ideally not more than 2 hours journey. Any ideas?

Open to Italy, Austria, France, Switzerland.

Have done longish journeys in Austria a few times for weeklong trips... Innsbruck to St Anton, Munich to Zell am See. Anything shorter but with an attractive destination and reasonable flight times from London to make the most out of a long weekend?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Adam123, Innsbruck to the Zillertal (Mayrhofen, Zell, Kalenbach) by train.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton from Zurich
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wengen from Bern
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of options with Ski Amadé from Salzburg....
Schladming, Radstadt, Pichl (Reiteralm), Eben, Altenmarkt, The Gasteins.
Also possible to get to Ski Circus areas too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looked at Flumserberg for Xmas as it could be got to from Zurich by train in seemingly about an hour as there were some cheapish flights going at the time. Didnt go for it in the end but looked an interesting option
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do the trains run from the airport in Salzburg and Innsbruck? Zurich to St Anton, Davos, Engelberg etc pretty easy though Swiss trains are infuriatingly slow. Geneva to Le Chable and Vallorcine via Martigny pretty hassle free.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Verbier from GVA, the last section is by Gondola.

In fact almost anywhere in Switzerland
Nendaz may be easier and that gets you on the same system.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do the trains run from the airport in Salzburg and Innsbruck?

short bus ride from the airport to the main station. close enough to not be an inconvenience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Champery (PdS) from GVA
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live in Altenmarkt and commute by train to Salzburg 4 days a week. It couldn't be easier. The airport has a regular bus transfer to both Salzburg Hauptbahnhof and Salzburg Süd. As @flangesax says, there are loads of options, most less than an hour.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fly in to Toulouse, navette to the train station and then train/coach (linked) to Luchon to ski either Luchon-Superbagneres or Peyragudes. Both open and both have great snow Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbuhel from Munich is about 2.5 hours on the train
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GVA to Paradiski
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine etc. from Cluses station
snow conditions
Is there easy frequent public transport from Cluses? It’s not the easiest link from Geneva either (train to centre, bus 61 to Annemasse, slowish train to Cluses ... )
latest report
Lots of options depending on sort of resort you are looking for, and critically for a weekend, flight times. Some that we have done:

Geneva to Villars - probably the shortest and easiest. Also Gstaad. I think you can also get to Crans Montana by train quite easily.
Geneva Verbier
Geneva Champery (2.5 hours)
Bern Wengen/Murren
Zurich St Anton
Innsbruck Selva Val Gardena (needs a taxi at end, and station not at airport - short bus ride)
Salzburg Zell am See (station not in airport - short bus ride)

This year we are doing Munich Westendorf (anywhere on Ski Welt possible, and perhaps closer - for example Hopfgarten or Brixen) - 2 hrs 4 mins on train. Kitz is also not much further.

Geneva, Zurich and Munich are good for weekends, as much more likely to find suitable flight times to max the skiing time.

www.bahn.de is the best source for train times (and often tickets) regardless of country.

This is a good source for resorts with stations:

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/ski-resorts-and-closest-stations
ski holidays
Quote:

Is there easy frequent public transport from Cluses?

yes
snow report
I’ve done Zurich-St Anton easy transfer and very reliable even in bad weather.
snow report
Chambery Airport, short taxi to station then train to B.S.M. Funiculaire to Les Arcs. Might be a bit longer than 2 hours but not much.
latest report
Not in your specific area but Gala Yuzawa, Japan has it's own Shikansen (Bullet Train) station, Platform to Gondola in one building!
snow conditions
I have done St. Anton. It's excellent from either Innsbruck (really short 1 hour train ride) or zurich (longer but easy).
ski holidays
@johnE, bus every 4 or more hours? Hardly a swift transfer.
latest report
@Adam123, why not just do one of the Haute Savoie stations and get a transfer from Geneva airport?
snow report
Davos or Arosa from ZCH
ski holidays
many flights to ZCH >> Engelberg usually just under 2 or Andermatt 2.30
If you want to go by train, Switzerland has it dialled.
latest report
Adam123 wrote:
Planning a weekend trip....

Have done longish journeys in Austria a few times for weeklong trips... Innsbruck to St Anton, Munich to Zell am See. Anything shorter but with an attractive destination and reasonable flight times from London to make the most out of a long weekend?

If you rate Innsbruck to St Anton as “longish”, then just every option mentioned above is “very longish”. Assuming favourable connections, Innsbruck airport to station is about 10 - 15 min and the train to St Anton a bit over an hour.

Zürich airport to St Anton: probably close to 3 hours with favourable connections. That said, it is very easy, as is the Innsbruck option.
latest report
You may find that there are some special offers available for train/hotel/skipass at the Swiss travel websites of the SBB, MySwitzerland and the London Swiss Travel Centre.

CH Tourism: https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/service-updates/offers.html?nodeid=25140&utm_source=home&utm_medium=gruezitext&utm_campaign=winter_campaign
Swiss Travel Centre, London (STC): https://switzerlandtravelcentre.co.uk/
Train: https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays.html

Swiss Air also fly London-Sion so it may be worth seeing if their timetable and prices work for you and consider the Valais resorts (Verbier, La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Crans-Montana). Landing in Sion saves you 90+ minutes travel to the Valais compared to GVA, and there are buses to Nendaz and train links to Verbier or you might use the time you've saved and take the train Sion-Zermatt although that does mean ignoring ski areas that are nearer.

If you are using the télépherique/bus/train via GVA then allow time for changing trains, missing the first bus out, etc. when booking the flights. The SBB website above has all the bus/télépherique/train timetables integrated. Some of the smaller satellites/resorts may have a bit of a bus gap at lunchtimes, as not many people travel then, so its worth scheduling your flights after checking the village connections, not before. As a rule of thumb, we aim to arrive in GVA before 11:00 and fly home after 14:30 if we're using the train to our apartment in La Tzoumaz (although it's not an issue with the bigger resorts like Verbier and Nendaz).

As the main driver, I'd endorse how much more relaxing the homeward transfer is using public transport. No having to dig the car out, possibly put chains on when we're under time pressure, traffic delays, finding a nearby service station, negotiating the airport, handing-over the car to some nutter rental driver who'll blame a scratch on us, shuttle bus etc. At GVA at least, the train is right inside the airport terminal.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 4-12-17 10:37; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@johnE, bus every 4 or more hours? Hardly a swift transfer.

It's a 45 minute drive from Cluses to Flaine too........
ski holidays
One thing I would say is that like anywhere, if you're travelling on the train and obviously a tourist, just be security-minded. Trains to/from aiports on Fridays and Saturdays are a target for thieves. I had my rucksack stolen on the train to Geneva.

Please, don't let this put you off - it's no different to The Underground or any public transport - I was careless in a way I wouldn't be on the trains back home because I was on holiday. For some reason, I'd also put my passport in the rucksack as well (doh!) so this meant an unplanned Weekend in Berne waiting for the British Consulate to issue me a new passport. Although I did get to travel on top of a nice double-decker train along the Bernese Oberland on the trip from Berne to Geneva.
snow report
Interesting how few posts suggest Tarentaise resorts.
Ian Kenvyn did suggest Paradiski from Geneva, but that is a long way round and quicker by bus.
Dubaian suggested starting form Chambery and taking a bus to the station. I've not done that one, but have done similar from Grenoble airport - worked fine for me.
The best airport though is Lyon. You can take trains straight from the airport (Saint Exupery), though there is a better service (and cheaper fares) from Lyon Part Dieu which is just a quick tram trip away.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy