Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton or Saalbach this weekend???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Struggling to make this call... Got flights booked to munich, arrive friday afternoon and ski saturday to tuesday.

Currently looking like there's potential brewing for a fair amount of snow over the weekend, but not much sunshine. Last time we went to the arlberg it was a bit naff, ribbons of artificial ice in t shirt weather xmas 2015. Love the arlberg and woulf be great to go back in prime conditions, but wondering if saalbach might be a better punt due to the potential lack of vis? Anyone know if the tree skiing round there is much cop? Alternatively any other suggestions? Mayrhofen?

Got a pair of corvus freebirds which need breaking in snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach was great 2 days ago. Off piste awesome! Snowing again at the moment
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hollando, both areas are fantastic and conditions are also good for so early in the season.

For me, the choice would come down to where you can get the most suitable accomodation
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hollando, Some guests of ours returned from Saalbach yesterday and were raving about knee/thigh-deep off-piste powder. Stacks of good tree skiing. Skiing at Mayrhofen starts up the mountain, mostly above the tree-line - one black run down to the village from a beginners' area; at Saalbach you ski down into the village on a choice of three blue runs, two red runs, and one black run, all tree-lined. (Similarly at Hinterglemm)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at the weather forecast, west will be best this weekend, at least in terms of snow.

Assuming you're interested in offpiste (as you've posted in offpiste) you'll be looking for tree skiing. In the Arlberg Stuben and Sonnenkopf have a fair bit, and Maienwaisen (sp?) in St Anton is also pretty ok on storm days.

I would also suggest Silvretta Montafon, which has some fantastic tree skiing too but a bit more of a schlep from Munich.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, looking at the piste map for the St Anton area all of the tree skiing looks to be "not allowed" - do people just ignore this or is it really not allowed? Also debating a trip to the alberg next week but need some tree options due to forecasted weather. Alberg is easy on the train from Inns.....hence I am tending towards it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is not allowed because of the animals hiding places. Few trees around Arlberg, so wildlife needs it.
Anyway; possible heavy rain up to 2000 m. has come into forecast for Sunday and Monday, coming from the West.
Saalbach or further east probably better choice
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is potential for rain in Austria in the next few days. It is warming up. So, head high. Go to St Anton.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trees and high up.... Puzzled
Rain will be mostly West, dryer east probably
Ignore @Whitegold as always
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMG wrote:
@clarky999, looking at the piste map for the St Anton area all of the tree skiing looks to be "not allowed" - do people just ignore this or is it really not allowed? Also debating a trip to the alberg next week but need some tree options due to forecasted weather. Alberg is easy on the train from Inns.....hence I am tending towards it.

Honest answer is: it depends!

My understanding is that it is forbidden in order to protect young trees/saplings from ski edges etc.

There are treelined routes that are regularly skied, but I have no idea whether they are officially allowed or rather just tolerated.

Some ideas here: https://alloffpiste.com/category/general/locations/stanton-locations/

Lots more round Stuben too.

Ischgl has about the highest tree skiing I can think of, but they will get less snow than the Arlberg and I don't know if there's enough of a base in the zone.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug, 84cm of fresh snow forecast for Saalbach http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the warm weather on Monday is a bit annoying. It will turn the snow to concrete. Hopefully the new snow will be enough to cover the heavy stuff. Always the way....when I want to go there is always "some event" to bug the snow up! In winter (and summer actually)I wished I lived closer to the alps and could just drive and ski for a day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies guys. In the end we went for the arlberg based on forecast greater snow accumulations and the fact that we know it well so know where to look. It was a tough call and I do really want to get over and check out Fieberbrunn, given all the hype you see about it.

Fair to say conditions today were acceptable...

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice!! I went ahead and booked a trip to St Anton. Arrive Mon and ski Tues-Fri. Cross fingers it is good Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
this is my 10th season in St Anton and by far the best opening conditions both on and Off Piste. We have had a bit of wind in last couple days and temperatures have warmed - but it really is an incredible start. We've already skied Langen and Verwall - normally not considered this early in the season...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy