Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Exchange: good for boot fiddling?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just wondered what people's recent experiences f the ski exchange shop in Cambridge have been in terms of adjusting ill fitting boots?

I'm asking on behalf of someone who had a major ankle operation a couple of years ago and has since suffered some quite severe tightness in places. Are ski exchange good at stretching shells, adjusting liners etc? I'm northern based so tend to use Backcountry UK but the individual concerned is based down Norfolk way so seeing if there is an equivalent down there...

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has he tried Snow Fit in Norwich?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have had several pairs of boots and zipfit liners over the years from Ski Exchange. We always go to Simon, the owner. We found him great for advice and fitting (including tweaks to accommodate my wife's morton's neuroma and relieve her shin pain). If it's adjusting existing boots bought elsewhere I imagine there'll be a charge, but they have always been happy to discuss on the phone before deciding whether to make the trip. Depending on where your friend is in Norfolk it could be quite a trek though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although the Ski Exchange is local to me I haven't visited for many years. But any small independent Ski related business that has survived for more than 30 years must be doing something right.

I would have thought that once travelling from the wilds of Norfolk to west of Cambridge, a train trip to London, would open up a wider choice of expert boot fitters, but no doubt at a higher cost.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simon does the servicing on my skis, and my current boots were bought from there about 8 years ago with no issues. I have no idea what their experience and knowledge of boot customisations is, but based on my general experiences with them over the years I'll be heading back there in the next couple of weeks for new boots. As an independent in the middle of nowhere (about 5 miles west of Cambridge on an anonymous industrial estate in the middle of farmland), they provide an excellent and friendly service with the personal touch, and they have a good base of regular customers, so they're doing something right. They also offer out of hours fitting to guarantee you their undivided attention, which I suspect you won't get at S&R, EB, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the replies, location they're coming from is just south of Wisbech so very doable distance wise. I've always preferred the customer service you get with the smaller independents so I think I'll tell them to try it out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used Simon for all my boot requirements and never had cause for complaint. He's a knowledgeable and skillful fitter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife bought her boots from here, and no complaints. I was also impressed that I called up once to ask about skis -- they suggested a pair, and then I found something different online and phoned to ask which was better -- Simon suggested I go with the online one, since it was better value. Honest, customer-focused service (I realise I'm posting rather late to this thread, but wanted to endorse the business nonetheless).

tb
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PowderAdict wrote:

I would have thought that once travelling from the wilds of Norfolk to west of Cambridge, a train trip to London, would open up a wider choice of expert boot fitters, but no doubt at a higher cost.

Are there a 'selection' of boot fitters in London? I've only ever heard good reviews about Profeet (or whatever the place in Putney is called)

To be honest it's not a million mile drive over to Bicester for snowHeads' favourite bootfitter
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy