Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Bindings - minimalist or what!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear God ..I just got quiver "quiver" !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@reidobi said...,
Quote:

And there is only ONE shop like it in our region!
Loutou Sports in Guillestre does a good range...

... if we're shop spotting, I'll raise you SportAmplaz in Canazei who do a fantastic range of touring/skiMo/mountaineering equipment.

Particularly useful is their sale of skin material by the metre (or in 10cm multiple lengths) - one of the few places online I've found to sell this for DIY skin making.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@geoffers, that's how I bought my skins this week.

Guy was really good when I explained I did not want to pay silly money as I'd only ever really be skinning in powder with the Atris / Tecton setup.

They have three massive rolls - and then he explained how to reduce costs further by not having tail clips and not a fancy clip for the tip.

When I collected them he'd thrown in a bag as well. Have to admit to being very surprised at where the skin ends on the ski. I'll find out soon when I give them a go this coming week.

But for the mounting of my new bindings and the skins, price was far less than Black Diamond skins out of a box.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, said
Quote:

...to reduce costs further by not having tail clips...
I used to sew a length of thin tape to the end of the skin and run this to a round-headed screw near the heel binding, with a loop of bungy cord to go over the screw.

Beauty of this was that (as well as retaining the tail of the skin), it made transitions a doddle to remove the skins without taking the skis off, as you could easily grab the tape and rip the skin off. (Touring on teles in those days, where the bindings were a bit more of a faff, so prob. not such an issue these days with AT pin bindings).

I often wondered whether the little tab behind the fritschi freeride heel-lock was intended for the same function
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers wrote:
@reidobi said...,
Quote:

... if we're shop spotting, I'll raise you SportAmplaz in Canazei who do a fantastic range of touring/skiMo/mountaineering equipment.

Particularly useful is their sale of skin material by the metre (or in 10cm multiple lengths) - one of the few places online I've found to sell this for DIY skin making.

odd, I don't know a store that doesn't sell it by the metre.

These stores you're all finding for pro's are just stores. Selling stuff. To people.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ise, well down here it's not that common, that's all.

For sure they're are many shops down in this part of the world and many stock touring kit, however inter season, like now, they are all still closed, no doubt where you are it maybe different or as a "Mountain Leader" you get special attention Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
@ise, well down here it's not that common, that's all.

it's really not, cast your net a bit wider maybe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ise, tell you what next time I'm in La Grave I'll check out both shops and I'm 99% sure they do not sell skins by the meter.

Mind you they'll both be closed until the season starts rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise wrote:

it's really not, cast your net a bit wider maybe.

I know you think you are making a valid important point but to those of use reading it, it's spoiling a fan thread.

Just saying.......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure everyone's view is just as valid. I was just noting that it's a matter of perspective. As far as I knew, most people toured on skis somewhat less wide than would appear the norm from reading snowheads. And many, even probably most, do so with pretty minimal bindings. And many buy skins by the metre and don't bother with tail clips for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I have a pair of skins without tail clips, they work just fine and I often wonder why I bother on other pairs.

On the odd day or so I'm around Chamonix or La Grave it's pretty clear that normal runs different there. Then again I'm just out on skis with other old duffers who also lack fulltime, gainful employment in the week.

Not sure what a fan thread is, sounds quite niche though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="geoffers"]@reidobi said...,
Quote:

Ahhh..but I was responding the the 'only One in the region' comment. Loutou is in the region. Canazei doesn't quite fall into that category.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy