Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Bindings - minimalist or what!

Poster: A snowHead
Think I've said a few times on here that I very rarely see Beasts / KingPins etc on locals around here.

Today went to the local all things mountaineering shop where they have a very good stock of gear and well respected workshop and had to take these pictures of skis in the workshop that had bindings fitted, not a feckin brake in sight.

Felt almost embarrassed dropping off my Tectons rolling eyes

So sweet

And then what do you know, just leaving and bumped into a hardened Beast/KingPin SnowHead who is going down a similar route Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, only for those megametre ascent days Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess it depends on what you are used to. It has only been in the last 5-6 years that the ‘freeride’ Tech binding has really come to the market, and that has driven the makers of traditional Tech bindings to innovate. This means that you can now buy a minimalist binding that works better and more reliably.

I guess being brakeless makes you more careful, but it does slow down transitions a little.

A mountain guide I ski with has used the ATK Freeraider 14 for a couple of years without any issues. But it does have a manual lift brake, so maybe not that minimalist Very Happy

I’ve got Beast 16, Radical ST 2 and brakeless Plum Guides on my skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ironically in the past hour just received a message from a young dude I knew from here in Serre who only passed his French Ski School exams two years ago (bit of a breath taking achievement) but could not get a decent full time job so became a trolley dolly for BA and now does long haul.

He just messaged me asking what bindings / skis I use as he's working part time in a ski shop and is on a Dynafiddle training course, and looking at the new Hogie boot for next year, in his words "it's awesome".

I'll have to find out what shop!

And @PowderAdict, when I get my skis back it's quiver photo time Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The bindings on the blue skis on the left (are they Ubacs) are particularly minimalist wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No big skis either (length or width).

It's a bit like mountain bikers; XC v Enduro.

I'm putting Beasts on a pair of Superguides just to annoy people wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
not a feckin brake in sight.

Leashes are extra?? Good to see telemark skis there!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@colinstone, I spotted that too! Aiming to do far more tele this season, may even be tempted to tour as well......
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wasn't at all surprised by the minimalist bindings in the pic, but I am slightly surprised at the width if the skis. Seems that the trend is towards wider skis than those I'm used to seeing on the feet of ski tourers in France.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:

looking at the new Hogie boot for next year, in his words "it's awesome".

They've made the last on that boot something like 103.5mm, Hoji claims that the heel hold from the instep buckle is so good the boot doesn't need a narrow last. I'm skeptical, but we shall have to wait and see.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oceanic, the shop is pretty special and client base is not your usual CAF ski tourer, more professionals guides etc hence the gear.

And there is only ONE shop like it in our region!

But you're right there is now a definite trend towards 100mm and high tech Plum style binding.

I'm pretty sure I will not see any gear like this when I go out with the CAF this season Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Oceanic, hmm I've heard that that was due to Dynafit EU bigwigs stepping in and making changes to appeal to (or they think will appeal more to) their big alpine touring market (never mind that that's not what this boot is designed for!)... Not sure on the truth mind, but there's rumours of a narrower and stiffer Hoji Pro that may or may not be made too...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:
I guess it depends on what you are used to. It has only been in the last 5-6 years that the ‘freeride’ Tech binding has really come to the market, and that has driven the makers of traditional Tech bindings to innovate. This means that you can now buy a minimalist binding that works better and more reliably.

I guess being brakeless makes you more careful, but it does slow down transitions a little.

A mountain guide I ski with has used the ATK Freeraider 14 for a couple of years without any issues. But it does have a manual lift brake, so maybe not that minimalist Very Happy

I’ve got Beast 16, Radical ST 2 and brakeless Plum Guides on my skis.

^ This is my take on it. My current ski tour / ski mo / fun set up is Superguide 105 with Salomon MTN bindings. Ski exceptionally well, very light combination, binding is stiff, simple and secure. Optional brake too so can punt around resort for lift based excursions without leash faff. 5 years ago the choice would be between more noodly / heavier / less secure.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I posted on this last season but when I was at the (full) Conscrits hut on the way up Les Domes des Miages my R108CLs 186 were the biggest skis there. Most people were on something around 88mm. Radical 2s would have been at the burly end too.

Because I only expect to do 3 or 4 days of "proper" non-lift assisted touring a season for the foreseeable I'll hire something 176cm /88mm/minimalist binding for future trips.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I'll get in first with my quiver, and yes I do have a DPS problem........ Toofy Grin

Wailer 112RP3, Lotus 124 Powderworks, Lotus 120 Powderworks, Wailer 112RP3 SE, Spoon 150 SE.

In case anyone doesn't know, the black oval objects are Resqski ski finder tags, as you really don't want to lose a DPS ski ££££.

3981A6DB-C04C-4720-A726-2201E0D6BE68
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, FIGHT Toofy Grin

Pretty impressive though!

Give me a couple of hours Cool
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
@Weathercam, I'll get in first with my quiver, and yes I do have a DPS problem........ Toofy Grin

Wailer 112RP3, Lotus 124 Powderworks, Lotus 120 Powderworks, Wailer 112RP3 SE, Spoon 150 SE.

In case anyone doesn't know, the black oval objects are Resqski ski finder tags, as you really don't want to lose a DPS ski ££££.

3981A6DB-C04C-4720-A726-2201E0D6BE68

No 106????
ski holidays
@mishmash, I haven’t felt the need, and haven’t been on anything below 100mm since 2009. If I was going to go narrower, I’d look at the Cassier range.
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
@mishmash, I haven’t felt the need, and haven’t been on anything below 100mm since 2009. If I was going to go narrower, I’d look at the Cassier range.

Love the quiver though!
latest report
Here you go

88mm's for spring ski touring
100's for hut to hut touring
108 Crows all round downhill charger with some climbing thrown in when needed
115's Coomback

Helps to have an OH who is just as bad Cool

Along with some old tat Smile
snow conditions
You win on numbers, and probably weight (apart from the Scotts with the 3kg bindings), I’ll take the win on width and the biggest rocker Very Happy

Interestingly Coombacks were the first ‘fat’ ski I used. I was on ‘wide’ Head Monster 88’s, and tried then ’massive’ Coomback 103’s, and that was it. My next skis were Line SFB’s at 115 under foot, with Baron’s. After that my affair with DPS started after a trip to Whistler, and my first pair of Wailer’s.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Think I've said a few times on here that I very rarely see Beasts / KingPins etc on locals around here.

Today went to the local all things mountaineering shop where they have a very good stock of gear and well respected workshop and had to take these pictures of skis in the workshop that had bindings fitted, not a feckin brake in sight.

Felt almost embarrassed dropping off my Tectons rolling eyes

So sweet

And then what do you know, just leaving and bumped into a hardened Beast/KingPin SnowHead who is going down a similar route Toofy Grin

What shop is that Weathercam?
latest report
@irbis, https://www.approach-outdoor.com/content/10-approach-alpimat Briancon
snow report
There is a QuiverKiller salesman somewhere who is kicking himself over lost opportunities there!
snow conditions
@rungsp, Mine are all QK’d. The yellow Wailers can take Marker SP, Radical ST 1 or Plum Guides. The Spoon 150 can take the Beasts or Marker SP, and the other skis are QK’d for the bindings fitted. I only ended up with the multiple Beast 16’s due to Dynafit dumping them on the market at a fraction of retail.
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, those Spoons make the Wailers look anorexic Laughing
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
@PowderAdict, those Spoons make the Wailers look anorexic Laughing

True, in powder with effectively 300mm underfoot and 190cm long, they out rank the majority of dedicated powder snowboards. But with a massive reverse camber giving a 30-40cm running edge, they are surprisingly good on decent pistes, and can be pivoted with your ankles in the trees Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:

Nice Very Happy How do you chose what to ski on a particular day? I'd guess the Wailer 112 would pretty much cope with anything wouldn't it???
snow conditions
Weathercam, I'll raise you 10 to your 8 (not counting junk) Laughing

Untitled by Ken Reeve, on Flickr

L-R:
K2 Pettitor 120 big pow days
Atomic Automatic 117 with Beast 14's for pow touring days
Down Countdown 114 waiting for the Automatics to break
Faction 108 CT3.0 all-round ski
Dynafit Grand Teton 106 with Kingpins mid- fat tourer
Salomon Q105 with Hammerheads
Nordica Speedmachine GS ski
Dynafit Baltoro 84 with Speed Turns for big ascent/spring snow
LynnX's touring skis
LynnX's piste skis
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:

They are surprisingly good on decent pistes, and can be pivoted with your ankles in the trees Cool

Like this?

images-2 by Ken Reeve, on Flickr
snow report
kitenski wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

Nice Very Happy How do you chose what to ski on a particular day? I'd guess the Wailer 112 would pretty much cope with anything wouldn't it???

I typically take 3 pairs in Europe and 2 pairs long haul. Last season in Europe the Lotus 124 had the most use, with the Wailers coming out for proper touring. In Japan I have skied the Spoon for 2 weeks every day, but last season with poorer snow, again the Lotus 124 saw some action. Somewhat bizarrely, the Spoons are more versatile than the Lotus 120, which I find to be soft snow only ski.
latest report
KenX wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

They are surprisingly good on decent pistes, and can be pivoted with your ankles in the trees Cool

Like this?

images-2 by Ken Reeve, on Flickr

That’s how not to do it, as you know the skill is to ski the gaps not the trees Cool
snow report
Knew I was doing something wrong.............
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@Oceanic, the shop is pretty special and client base is not your usual CAF ski tourer, more professionals guides etc hence the gear.

I'd fill your boots quick there. Before they go under.

Given professionals are tight and on pro deals it's not a great business plan.

If I were them, I'd be branching out into punters with deep pockets who need all the gear.
snow report
@ise, that shop(s) has been going for a good few years, for sure they have expanded online, but it's not just ski based business, probably 30-40% of their trade I'd guess as they and their other branches are focused on far more than sliding down a mountain, they are probably more busy in the summer months!

And @kitenski, wake up in the morning and decide Cool

Though seriously I/we've worked out what we're doing the night before taking the usual factors into consideration.

But I do prefer classic Spring Touring which is more simple with regards to gear and conditions, and nice narrow light weight skis are normally the best option Cool

Hut to Hut multi day tours is more of a gamble hence I take 100mm

And let's not forget like cycling which you're really aware of, body weight/fitness is more important, and far more useful to be at a good fighting weight and fit rather than all the gear and weighing in at 90kg + and unfit Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@KenX, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@ise, that shop(s) has been going for a good few years, for sure they have expanded online, but it's not just ski based business, probably 30-40% of their trade I'd guess as they and their other branches are focused on far more than sliding down a mountain, they are probably more busy in the summer months!

In that case they're selling to the public then Very Happy There really wouldn't be a business in just selling to mountaineering professionals, no idea how that works for golf or ballroom dancing though.
latest report
That shop reminds me of Excess Backcounty in Whistler (and a lesser extent Escape Route). Both provide an oasis of tech and touring (and even Telemark) amoung the mass market multiple production line piste based shops.
latest report
[quote="Weathercam"]@Oceanic, the shop is pretty special and client base is not your usual CAF ski tourer, more professionals guides etc hence the gear.

Loutou Sports in Guillestre does a good range; and convenient for the Queyras

http://www.loutousport.com/#
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy