Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevallier

Poster: A snowHead
Just had to move our Feb week from Risoul to Serre Chevallier (Rocket Ski). Would welcome any advice on best runs - blues & reds, mountain restraunts, & apes ski in Chantemerle. Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Search button broken again?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(@Onnem, thanks - very helpful!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only general advice I can give is to stick to the middle of the mountain (vertically, that is). That was what the owner of a local ski shop told me the first time I went, and it was good advice. Up high it can get really windy; down low, the snow often isn't as good and lift lines can be long or you have to take a telecabine back up. My favorite mountain restaurant is L'Echaillon -- hard to get to but the terrace is superb and the burger fait maison and veal milanese are delicious. As for the pistes, I like the area between Cucumelle and Echeyauda (you'll see it on the pist map).

But yeah, try search function first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pasigal, many thanks. Will have a good look at those areas on the piste map. I had a look at the search function before posting & whilst there are a lot of entries re SC didn’t find much on what I was asking! No harm in looking again 😀
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of info here:

http://welove2ski.com/serre-chevalier
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarletgirl, you'll have a great time.Where are you staying?
Mountain restaurant recommendations, Le Troll at Serre Ratier, Peyra Juana in Monetier, and the pizza at La Ferme by the top of the Frejus bubble car. Pi Mai (Frejus village, near bottom of Cucumelle) is lovely for a treat (expensive) for lunch, but excellent for a coffee/vin chaud stop on the terrace.

Best pistes. Monetier- Red Cibouit, Aya. Blue-Eychauda. Red Yret, and back to Villeneuve sector by Cucumelle. Runs to the bottom through the trees are beautiful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
@Scarletgirl, you'll have a great time.Where are you staying?
Mountain restaurant recommendations, Le Troll at Serre Ratier, Peyra Juana in Monetier, and the pizza at La Ferme by the top of the Frejus bubble car. Pi Mai (Frejus village, near bottom of Cucumelle) is lovely for a treat (expensive) for lunch, but excellent for a coffee/vin chaud stop on the terrace.

Best pistes. Monetier- Red Cibouit, Aya. Blue-Eychauda. Red Yret, and back to Villeneuve sector by Cucumelle. Runs to the bottom through the trees are beautiful.

I agree about the lower runs through the melezes, the only issue is getting back up can take some time if it's crowded. Serre Che is a great ski station. I've never done the section by Briancon -- we've always stayed in Monetier for the baths , and it takes a while to get over there. Did i mention the baths in Monetier?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks folks - will have a look at all the info you’ve shared. Staying in Chantemerle. 😀
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The on mountain restaurant under the Rocher Blanc lift on the Chauvet piste always used to do a nice traditional French onion soup (although I’ve not been in a good number of years) and has some great views.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pasigal, I have an apartment in Monetier, so I know the baths well. Lifts aren't too bad if you aren't there in French holidays. January is blissfully quiet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve only ever experienced bad queues once (in six weeks) and that really only on the first lift of the day during a peak French half term week. And that was before the chairlift was installed to compliment the cable car in Chantemerle.

Apres ski in Chantemerle isn’t massive....probably typically French. The bar at the bottom of the Luc Alphand is quite fun at the end of the skiing day.

Otherwise, Hells Bells suggestions are always spot on.

Have fun...it’s a great area, IMHO
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did a couple of days in Serre when we had an extended stay in Montgenevre. Enjoyed the skiing and the area, but as others have said it can be V windy at the top. At one point we had to pole downhill rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, sadly said bar is no more........... RIP the Station Crying or Very sad
There is always the Royale bar opposite the entrance to the Ratiere gondola, nice place Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KenX, what...? Actually, if the Royale bar is the one on the left as you schuss back up the slope from the bottom of the piste, that’s the one I meant.

If that’s isn’t the one, and it’s gone...RIP. Spent many a fun filled apres there watching the carnage at the end of a day when all and sundry attempted to get down ‘the wall’ 😂
snow report
@Cacciatore, Did they have a cow for you to mount? Toofy Grin
snow report
@Cacciatore, I think you might mean La Taniere. Station was on the right under the cable car, opposite the Loup Blanc restaurant.
latest report
Is The Station a restaurant now, or has it just shut full stop?
latest report
@porkpiefox, it closed down at the start of the summer season, and obviously there must be no signs of it reopening soon.
snow report
@Hells Bells, My best mate's brother worked in there, I assume he works elsewhere now then, although I presume Ken will know, as I think they're neighbours.

We've spent a lot of money and time in there, over the years. It was the bar where we realised we could no longer cope with a full week on our "lads" trip Laughing
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@Cacciatore, I think you might mean La Taniere. Station was on the right under the cable car, opposite the Loup Blanc restaurant.

Aha, La Taniere does ring a bell...has a terrace out front, essentially in front of the chairlift entrance, IIRC.
snow conditions
@Cacciatore, The Station has a terrace (that's not to say La Taniere hasn't) and is immediately at the bottom of the Luc Alphand, on the right hand side of the lifts, as you ski/board/fall down the slope.
snow conditions
@porkpiefox, The guy who had the lease has gone down the drain and sadly Colin couldn't do anything about it, he's a house-husband now........
@Cacciatore, La Taniere's still going, the Royale is on the plaza just where you walk up after skiing down the Luc Alphand
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, yes,that's it, we had drinkies with you and the Mrs there.
latest report
@KenX, Cheers Ken. I think Col is back here over the Christmas period, so I'll have to catch up with him while he's back.
ski holidays
On the subject of (long) defunct bars the Yeti was legendary. Especially the underground bit.
snow conditions
@Dubaian, Yep, had some great (and long) nights in there Very Happy
ski holidays
Dubaian wrote:
On the subject of (long) defunct bars the Yeti was legendary. Especially the underground bit.

+1 And the place for a great night in Villeneuve was le cavaillou before it morphed into a restaurant.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing is great everywhere, if conditions are right. LIFTS ARE SLOWER IN Monetier especially the two to the higher peaks but if not there in peak season, few queues.The runs through the trees are stunning and quiet. If conditions are good, the run down to Briancon from Porelle is stunning. Helen's recommendations are spot on. Lucy Alphand is a very red black with the only steep section at the bottom. You can work out whether you fancy itfrom the resort in Chantlemerle.
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
Skiing is great everywhere, if conditions are right. LIFTS ARE SLOWER IN Monetier especially the two to the higher peaks but if not there in peak season, few queues.The runs through the trees are stunning and quiet. If conditions are good, the run down to Briancon from Porelle is stunning. Helen's recommendations are spot on. Lucy Alphand is a very red black with the only steep section at the bottom. You can work out whether you fancy itfrom the resort in Chantlemerle.

Lucy Alphand Laughing

I'm blaming autocorrect, but if not, that's a good put down.
latest report
@porkpiefox, Very Happy
latest report
Some good info here as also looking to visit this resort next year. As this will be my first time here I'am finding all the info here useful. I might even decide to DIY this trip & do all the bookings etc myself than go via a broker or agent - also cheaper that way.
latest report
Dubaian wrote:

Now you’re talking....had several fairly messy nights in there a good few years ago. A shame it went.
snow report
Only 2 weeks before we arrive in Chantemerle and the snow looks fantastic! Frustratingly, despite my many weeks of skiing, I still struggle with narrow tracks - especially when there’s a big drop on one side!!! Any advice on where these are - so that I can avoid if possible - would be most welcome. Lovely wide red or blue runs are what I’m ideally looking for Smile Many thanks
ski holidays
Any suggestions for how best to enjoy SC for a couple of days, with intermediate-level family? We're headed there at Easter to pick up @AnnaJ and have decided to make a couple of days out of it, before heading over to Val Thorens for the SFaB. (Thanks very much for your help @Hells Bells & @KenX)

Ideally, a day or so of skiing, but we'd probably be up for something different too - the baths sound intriguing!
latest report
@Scarletgirl, no narrow tracks here, mostly the wide red/blues you like!
@tomj, I'd go for a couple of days skiing, but if the baths tickle your fancy, go for it! Also many visiting in the winter miss out on a trip to the old town of Briançon, which is well worth a look!
snow report
@KenX, Excellent! Just what I was hoping for. Many thanks 😀
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy