Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Man rescued from 100ft deep crevasse after 5 days!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This story is almost 2 weeks old, but I've not seen it commented on here. A German mountaineer was rescued from a 100ft deep "crevice" (not sure how that differs from a crevasse, unless they're implying he was surrounded by rock rather than ice at the bottom of the hole) on the Dachstein mountains after being trapped there for 5 days! Shocked

Regardless of whether it was a crevice or crevasse I think that's one lucky guy who can be thankful for his mobile phone and the Austrian Police officer who had the quick wits to change to text messaging when the voice communication broke off.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good grief - I am feeling anxious just reading about it. Lucky man.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Incredible that he could get any kind of mobile phone signal where he was. My phone lost its signal in the middle of a major UK town last week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like it was rock. Reminds me of a back country ridge ski at Zauchensee with Flangesax when I stopped and vanished up to my armpits; there was a crevice in the rock ridge which had been totally covered in snow, not sure how deep it was but when he had dragged me out (a ski had landed on a shrub growing out of the rock preventing me from going all the way in) we couldn't see the bottom.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 23-11-17 13:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, the other stories in that piece from your link are more incredible! 'Alone on high mountain terrain?!' and 'Never give up' spring to mind.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
A German mountaineer was rescued from a 100ft deep "crevice" (not sure how that differs from a crevasse, unless they're implying he was surrounded by rock rather than ice at the bottom of the hole) on the Dachstein mountains

It was reported in the Austrian press as being a cenote/natural sink hole in the rock
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, In that case I guess it may have been somewhat warmer than if he'd been in a crevasse surrounded by ice. Still, not pleasant conditions to spend 5 days in with an injured foot/leg....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Krippenstein is really bad for limestone sink holes too, the entire range is riddled with cave systems. They found a body a while back 85 years after he vanished on a ski tour.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa wrote:
Looks like it was rock. Reminds me of a back country ridge ski at Zauchensee with Flangesax when I stopped and vanished up to my armpits; there was a crevice in the rock ridge which had been totally covered in snow, not sure how deep it was but when he had dragged me out (a ski had landed on a shrub growing out of the rock preventing me from going all the way in) we couldn't see the bottom.
Had that happen to me on the Albona/Arlberg. Quite scary at the time, though I probably didn't go in quite as far as you I also had big problems trying to get out. Had I been on my own it might not have been so good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy