Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pinzolo/Madonna di Compiglio/Folgarida

Poster: A snowHead
Planning to head to the Pinzolo/Madonna di Compiglio/Folgarida area Feb half term 2018, so looking for some advice on these resorts.

Going with a beginner (total 3 days green piste previous experience), so a nursery slope for a couple of hours, followed by shorter slopes and subsequently longer gentle blues are the order of the day.

Pinzolo
- Looks to be the quietest? and cheapest? resort, found a hotel £80/night
- Read some posts on here regarding no snow - is that just on the ground in resort or are the pistes a risk too?
- Less blue's (and short) than other two once we progress past finding the beginners feet again - I don't think she would make the reds connecting MDC, so I'm assuming its not an option? We'll have a car so could just drive to MdC but nice to not have to be driving.

Madonna di Compiglio
- Most developed? and lots of nice looking blues
- Is there a nursery area like the others? - my research didn't conclude there being an obvious one?
- Hotels are more expensive, £115/night. Is it really worth the extra (£175 total over the 5 nights)?

Folgarida
- Read that the area at the top of Malghet Aut is great for beginners, plus more blues than Pinzolo
- Hotels @ £100/night, worth the £100 extra over Pinzolo?

Is there a bus connecting resorts?

I'll be flying to Bologna, I know its far but the flights were cheaper, anyone with experience driving from Bologna? - I had assumed self driving is the only transfer option

We originally wanted to go to Passo Tonale, so was contemplating a 'day out' there too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Biblu, I can’t comment too much on the others, but MdC was great when I went there. Exactly as you describe and prices were very reasonable. MdC has twice the ski area as Pinzolo and I think you will very quickly find Pinzolo too small. The areas are not very well linked together so I wouldn’t plan on staying in one area and skiing in the other.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The areas are not very well linked together so I wouldn’t plan on staying in one area and skiing in the other.

Not too sure about that. There is a gondola that takes you from Pinzolo right into the heart of the Madonna ski area. Folgarida is perhaps a little more difficult due to the terrain between the linking lifts.

These are three very different places. Folgarida is effectively a large cul-de-sac at the end of a mountain road. There is however a UK based company that works out of there and they do a complete package of travel, hotels, equipment hire and tuition if req'd. The beginner area at the top of the gondola is good as these things go.

Madonna is a much bigger town in comparison. Full range of hotels from budget to deluxe. A great ski area spread across both sides of the valley and much of it covered by snow making equipment.

We stayed in Pinzolo 2 years back at half term. Rented a large holiday home off Airbnb. It's a proper town. Quite chilled with some nice bars, coffee shops and restaurants. I believe there's a night club there somewhere. The nearest gondola is probably walkable or a short bus ride from most parts of town. The beginner area is at the top of this gondola and isn't very big. You CAN'T ski back down from here. You download in the Gondola. However, on the edge of town is a 2nd gondola . The Audi Tulot lift. This takes you directly up to the runs that take you to the Madonna link Gondola. The Tulot is a superb, little used at times, black run that allows you to ski back down if you're up to it. You can also download here and there's a small restaurant and loos at the base station. You can get the bus up to this lift but there's also a large carpark there. Almost everywhere we went for an apres beer laid on free tapas style snacks and these got more generous the longer we stayed Madeye-Smiley .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Biblu, Looking at the type of terrain that you're after I would say that your best two options are Folgarida and Madonna.

Once off the beginner area Folgarida does have some good Blues (some quite long but a fairly even steepness) for a learning skier to progress on.

My partner was teaching a group of young kids, a couple of whom had never skied before. They were staying in Pinzola but became frustrated by what little terrain was suitable for them to progress onto so they used their coach to travel round to Madonna each day. There are lots of blue runs. Some great mountain huts and restaurants. Coffee about one euro fifty IIRC. The kids progressed well enough to be able to visit the Fiat restaurant up in the Spinale area and ski down afterwards by the end of the week.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 3-02-18 15:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GeorgeVII,
Quote:

Not too sure about that. There is a gondola that takes you from Pinzolo right into the heart of the Madonna ski area. Folgarida is perhaps a little more difficult due to the terrain between the linking lifts

You know the area better than me, but I remember the link as being slow and altitude neutral. I also seem to recall that you can’t ski across in either direction
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@foxtrotzulu, You're absolutely correct.

The Gondola that links Madonna di C. and Pinzola is quite a feat of engineering. It does seem to go on forever and you've defo got time to polish off your lunch on the way. And yes, there is no way of skiing between these two towns.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 3-02-18 15:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, sounds like Pinzolo is a lovely place but to make the most of it you need to make the link over to MdC - which I don't think is possible for Mrs Biblu with the reds to get to the gondala Pinzolo side.

The only thing stopping me booking a hotel in Madonna is a nursery/beginner area, my wife will definitely need a few go's on one to slowly get back into it
- Does Madonna have such an area like Folgarida has?

We're only skiing 4 days, I guess day 1 we could take a trip to the Folgarida beginners area, then day 2 - 4 stay in Madonna and enjoy the more varied runs and walk back to our hotel via the bar.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Biblu wrote:
We're only skiing 4 days, I guess day 1 we could take a trip to the Folgarida beginners area...
Skiing from MdC to Folgarida involves one steep, and often icy, pitch on what I think might be a blue piste (it might be red, I'd have to check the piste map). Definitely not for near beginners. I've seen even those with more than a few weeks of skiing experience struggle down the pitch.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Biblu, Someone with better knowledge of the centre of M di C will probably chip in soon. I vaguely remember seeing some magic carpets in the area at the bottom of the valley on the edge of town. An area this big will not lack decent beginner facilities. You shouldn't need to trek around to Pinzolo.

The ski schools in Madonna will have to take new pupils somewhere suitable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, it's definitely marked as a red and as you say can be quite intimidating. The schuss out to the lift is fun though Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Honestly think Madonna your best bet. There's much more skiing and ample opportunities for beginners. The town is also lovely. You can go over to Pinzolo on a very long cable car - but I can recall that it was quite steep back down to the lift on the Pinzolo side. Madonna down to Folgarida not recommended for first timer that I can remember. So - Madonna your best bet. I think you'll love it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevew wrote:
The schuss out to the lift is fun though Very Happy
Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Biblu wrote:
We're only skiing 4 days, I guess day 1 we could take a trip to the Folgarida beginners area...
Skiing from MdC to Folgarida involves one steep, and often icy, pitch on what I think might be a blue piste (it might be red, I'd have to check the piste map). Definitely not for near beginners. I've seen even those with more than a few weeks of skiing experience struggle down the pitch.

+1 for this observation. From memory I don’t recall any reds on the Pinzolo side being particularly bad. It all boils down to the condition of the snow. When we were in that area all things being equal MDC felt to us the best snow we encountered on piste. Not sure why but that is what we felt. And remembering back to being a nervous intermediate it was bad quality snow that freaked me more than the slope per se. Still does.. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Done. Booked 'Villa Madonna' in McD, which was difficult for me being such tightwad, but think we'll have a more enjoyable time in MdC than Pinzolo or Folgarida.

@rob@rar sorry, I meant take a day trip via the safety of a car, definitely won't be trying the ski link Very Happy

I don't know if we'll book a lesson, but how does one go about finding ski lessons...the tourist office website?
- are they generally much of a muchness or is it worth trying to ask on here/research to avoid the duds?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Biblu wrote:
@rob@rar sorry, I meant take a day trip via the safety of a car, definitely won't be trying the ski link Very Happy
Good plan. If you do get around to Folgarida there is a very lovely cake shop, Cafe Roby, about 100m down the road from the Folgarida gondola with plenty of parking outside. Nice for an end of the day treat.
latest report
Biblu wrote:
I don't know if we'll book a lesson, but how does one go about finding ski lessons...the tourist office website?
- are they generally much of a muchness or is it worth trying to ask on here/research to avoid the duds?
If you get get around to Folgarida there is a Brit instructor who works for the Folgarida ski school, chap called Wayne Naylor (who used to post here), who is a helpful guy, good instructor.
latest report
@Biblu, https://www.campigliodolomiti.it/lang/EN/catalogo/cerca/std_id_categoria=2%7Ccst_categoria_servizio=Scuole%20italiane%20Sci,%20Snowboard%20e%20Sci%20Fondo%7Ccst_filtro_ricerca=campiglio

Nothing better than a personal recommendation if you can find one but here's a link to get you started.
ski holidays
Bumpity bump. Any update on area snow conditions from Snowheads who were out in Folgarida last week? Need to pick a pair of skis to wax for next cheeky weekend.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, last week's weather conditions were good but variable - some bright sunny days, some fog/cloud, a teensy bit of snow, then more sun - but the pistes were well groomed throughout, plenty of coverage, and cold enough to keep the snow dry. Madonna similarly variable yet almost opposite to whatever weather Folgarida had, so if you're willing to ski either side you should be able to chase the blue skies. Didn't get over to Pinzolo... Maybe next year!

We left Folgarida in the wee hours of Sunday morning and it was snowing gently in resort, so with any luck you'll have it goldilocks style (fresh snow but not enough to disrupt travel).
latest report
Another bump for a report on conditions .. out with my daughter at half term, flying on the 11th Feb .. anyone else out there then?
snow report
We were out there 18/01-22/01/18, fantastic conditions, over 2m at the top, ski to the bottom no problems. Mainly sunny with cloud, very cold. Think it’s similar at presen. First visit to Madonna, we loved it. Very very good quality ski hire as well.
ski holidays
@steviet865, thanks
snow report
I was out last weekend. Good coverage on all pistes. Off piste was getting a bit of a sun crust and/ or tree melt drips. By Monday was very warm with south facing pistes corning up by 11am. Slushy bump fest in places in the afternoon on blacks and some reds - magic.

Of course with melt comes somewhat firm refreeze early in the am
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks for the update, webcams look good and a little more snow forecast for this week Very Happy
ski holidays
Just arrived but not skied. Bottom of runs look good and load of snow. Looking forward to tomorrow
ski holidays
Arrive tomorrow so glad to hear it looks good. The forecast says you’re due some snow tonight so should be some nice snow in the morning for you!
ski holidays
Biblu wrote:
Arrive tomorrow so glad to hear it looks good. The forecast says you’re due some snow tonight so should be some nice snow in the morning for you!

Indeed but the rest of the week looks ok
snow conditions
Bit variable weather today quite overcast to start but from 10:30 to around 1:30 really brightened up. Some really nice snow but the odd scrapy bit. Care was needed with queuing in the most part ok but queued for nearly 20 minutes for old two man from Campo Csrlo to Spinale, a chair that should have been replaced 20 years ago.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This morning was meant to be cloudy and light snow. Nothing of the sort bright sunshine for most of the day spent most of the morning on the Cinq Large side, absolutely fabulous. Lunch at a very busy Chalet Fiat. Groste early afternoon a little misty but it cleared up about 3pm. Rest of afternoon great. Some big queue but not too bad.
snow conditions
@stevew, Chalet Fiat had to be visited, but IMO its one of the least good places. I think the locals regard it as all glitz and nonsense. From memory, our favourite was Refugio Viviani’s over at Pradalago. Search on SH for a link to a thread about restauarants etc. It’s been going about three years and is quite helpful. Also about good places in town for the evenings.
snow report
In terms of accommodation, I've found lower prices and nice hotels near the daolasa lift, this isnt MDC, the area directly served by the daolasa is Folgardia or Marivella . Any competent skier can get to ski to Pinzolo or MDC from top of daolasa

Not linked by lift, but near to daolasa commezzadura area is Pejo Ski, quiet pistes and top lift there 3000m

as mentioned above, this piste can be tricky late in the day ;

"Skiing from MdC to Folgarida involves one steep, and often icy, pitch on what I think might be a blue piste (it might be red, I'd have to check the piste map). Definitely not for near beginners. I've seen even those with more than a few weeks of skiing experience struggle down the pitch."
ski holidays
Another great day spent most of the time in Pinzolo. Some scrapy pistes but in most part good snow and queues easily avoided. Last few runs around Genatine in the sun, fantastic.
ski holidays
What about Peio? Has its own decent sized ski area, cool little WW1 museum of things recovered from the receding glaciers, and 10min away from Madonna and Passo Tonale
ski holidays
@dublin2, daolasa is a valley access lift from well below Folgardia not sure what's down there.

The link to Folgardia from Madonna is a red with a steep pitch at the bottom. Lots of people having issues at the end of today's skiing as I looped Genatine. For the inexperienced probably a very unpleasant run.
latest report
What about Peio? Has its own decent sized ski area, cool little WW1 museum of things recovered from the receding glaciers, and 10min away from Madonna and Passo Tonale

Pejo has about 30km of very nice pistes, a bit quiter than main Domain

newish lift which ascends to 3000m

One day is probably enough there , but we loved it, quiet and great scenery

Their FB page has some nice pics/ videos
snow report
Didn't report on last two days, so here's a quick summary. Thursday was a lot lot warmer, even getting some slushy snow during the latter part of the day. We started in Cinq Laghe area, which I always find quite quiet in the mornings, moved over to Pradalago for lunch with the intention of going to Viviani's but having done a run down to Genziana decided on the basis of the queue to lunch at Malga (sp) having eaten there previously but discovered they no longer do waiter service at tables, so was forced to have a sandwich. In the afternoon did a loop around Spinale and Groste.A good day all told.

Our last day was Saturday and we decided to head over to Folgardia hoping it to be quieter on most peoples change over day. What a chnage to earlier in the week, no queues at all. We did a couple of laps of the run to the mid station of the Daolasa gondola which was great and in the most part deserted and just after lunch at the top Spolverino finally did the black in the Folgarida, which was in excellent nick. Final few runs around Spinale and Pradllago rounded off a great week.

Clashing with Festival and Belgium half term it was busier than some of the previous years but a little bit of planning each day avoided the worst of the queues.

More than likely our last half term holiday and have thought Madonna a great find. Thanks to Wayne and the Brentaski crew and the staff at the St Raphael for always making us so welcome.
ski holidays
@stevew, @steviet865, @Biblu,

I'm going to be at MDC next week and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a ski hiring place?

Thanks
snow report
IAF08 wrote:
@stevew, @steviet865, @Biblu,

I'm going to be at MDC next week and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a ski hiring place?

Thanks

Sorry no, we've always used the one that that tour operator books us in with and it's not that inspiring in terms of kit choice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy