Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK Boots or France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I asked a few days ago for some advice on new boots and got some great tips. My next question is, would you buy them in the UK, or in resort in France?

I phoned around asking what prices tend to start at and I know it's more relevant to foot shape, calf width etc but would I get a better deal abroad?

My neighbour got a cracking pair in resort last year.

Thanks Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ralphster, I'm certainly not an expert, but...

I suspect prices will generally be cheaper in the UK than in a ski resort. However, I think you should try and make price the secondary consideration. Fit and comfort are far more important. If you visit someone like CEM at Bicester then AFAIK you will get a great service and he will take loads of time and trouble to get the fit right. On the other hand, you might get less personal service and less care taken in a ski resort but you can at least take them back each day for further work when you discover each little niggle after a few days skiing. No idea which is the right answer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At least in Decathlon, buy in France,

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alltrack-90-mens-ski-boots-id_8398787.html - £ 199

https://www.decathlon.fr/chaussure-ski-men-alltrack-90-id_8398787.html - € 179

Unless the catastrophe that is Brexit really hit sterling this morning...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More seriously, it's about where you're going. If a tiny village in the middle of nowhere with one ski shop staffed by the local farmer's halfwit son in law, buy in the UK.

Going somewhere big with good selections and experienced staff (and fitters if required) - it can be an advantage to be able to tweak them every couple of days if you have difficult feet.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 23-11-17 8:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thnaks. Briancon if that's any good? I've never been before.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having bought three pairs of boots in the UK the problem I had with them all was that the initial fitting wasn't that good. I don't know if I have funny shaped feet. I wore them around the house at home, but the problems didn't show up until I had done a couple of days skiing and then I was stuck with them for the rest of the week. I got them refitted back in the UK however, no problem. But it had put a bit of a damper on my ski week.

I too was wondering UK or France for my next purchase. If I get them in France at least I can go back to the shop to get them sorted and then carry on skiing. So, I am also interested in the answers here.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ralphster, no idea, never been near there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One thought. Do you want to spend 2-3 hours, possibly more, of your skiing holiday going through the boot fitting selection and fitting process?

Second thought. If there is a problem with the boot on your second or third holiday getting it repaired or replaced under guarantee/warranty may prove difficult.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point Layne, hadn't thought about that, cheers wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, point 1 very valid.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ditto what ralphster said.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In resort you will get better service than a shop in the UK. Guys in resort do this job as a career. Nearly all shops in resort will be able to custom fit your boot to your needs. They will send you skiing and then call you back in that evening to correct any issues you may have.
If you do ever have manufactures faults this can be rectified in any country under warranty.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
One thought. Do you want to spend 2-3 hours, possibly more, of your skiing holiday going through the boot fitting selection and fitting process?

Second thought. If there is a problem with the boot on your second or third holiday getting it repaired or replaced under guarantee/warranty may prove difficult.

This.

On the other hand, Briancon is certainly large enough a town to have dedicated fitters and options i.e. its not a one horse town.

If you're anywhere in/around or likely to be in London, I'd recommend Profeet in Fulham. My last pair came from them and they were excellent. I did need to take them back for some adjustment after my first week skiing in them and, post-adjustment, I've not had one issue.

Their advice and assistance wasn't rushed and generally they listened to my input.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ralphster, there are some excellent boot fitters in Serre Chevalier Briancon.

Bruno Bornicat in Chantemerle, close to main lifts (you will need to make an appointment) https://www.bootfitting.fr/atelier/ . Hubby had his boots fitted there, despite Bruno saying he couldn't fit him in for three weeks. He worked constantly on other boots while we were there, adding bits of foam to heels, and blowing out tight spots, while pausing to check the fit with hubby , sort custom footbeds, and heat mould the liners.

Also Elixir in Monetier-les-Bains http://www.elixirshop.fr/en/. Son and I both had boots fitted there last winter. Fitter selected boots based on our feet, not on our colour choice. Heat moulded, custom footbeds, adjustments. I went back for a small tweak, but the difference they made to my skiing last winter was very noticeable.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 21-11-17 15:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Excellent, thanks Hells Bells
ski holidays
@ralphster, are you near Bicester? I wouldn't go to anyone but Colin Martin
ski holidays
No I'm up in the North West, Lancashire/Cumbria border.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
At least in Decathlon, buy in France,

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alltrack-90-mens-ski-boots-id_8398787.html - £ 199

https://www.decathlon.fr/chaussure-ski-men-alltrack-90-id_8398787.html - € 179

Unless the catastrophe that is Brexit really hit sterling this morning...

Good links but not everything is cheaper, I was in the other day & tried a helmet with visor on, as I can't find one that fits over my glasses. There H350 one did! It's £59.99 in UK but 79.99 euro with your link
ski holidays
@ralphster, me and the missus bought our boots in Les Deux Alpes, a small ski shop near the hotel. It was mid March and we had gone in to rent skis and boots, but they had a 50% off sale on, so we thought for that price we should just buy the boots and have them fitted.

We had a fitting, and it took a couple of hours, but to be honest, I'm not good enough to be skiing 8 hours solid a day anyway, so didn't mind the couple of hours fitting. I got a pair of Head boots and the missus got Rossignol's.

As a bonus we got the ski hire discounted as we had bought the boots. The whole lot cost us around €400.

At the end of the first day I found my heels were lifting a bit, and the missus's felt her left little toe was a bit cramped by her boot, so we went straight back and he sorted out both issues. About midway through the week we went back for a couple more tweaks and the boots were perfect. Still are, they are like wearing slippers.

So glad we bought them at the resort so they could be adjusted over the week, rather than a one off fitting in the UK.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 21-11-17 15:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
karlflood wrote:
In resort you will get better service than a shop in the UK. Guys in resort do this job as a career.

Do bootfitters in the UK do it as an hobby?

karlflood wrote:
Nearly all shops in resort will be able to custom fit your boot to your needs.

Differing from the UK in what way?

karlflood wrote:
They will send you skiing and then call you back in that evening to correct any issues you may have.

Agree on that one. In resort early teething problems could be corrected and "re-tested" the next day.

karlflood wrote:
If you do ever have manufactures faults this can be rectified in any country under warranty.

Theoritically. And certainly it's not an overriding factor. But it can be a help if you take it back to the place of purchase.
snow report
For me, easiest to do in resort, as I visit the same one at least twice a season. There's not really a lot of choice in NE England either. Yes, you can take them back after your holiday, but what if they've been hurting since the 1st day, and it has ruined the skiing for the rest of the week.
latest report
@Jonny996, It was hardly a thorough research project!
ski holidays
@ralphster, Rivington Alpine might not be too far away for you. They should know what they're doing.
snow report
@Sack the Juggler, a great example of it could work well buying in a resort.

I think there is no right answer as such.
snow report
I'm no Michael Fish, but given the weather forecast I saw on here ref Serre Chevalier I might hedge my bets and see what's in resort.

Appreciate all of the advice Happy
ski holidays
My experience is such that my next pair (due soon) will definitely be bought in the resort, because of the option to make adjustments. My sister-in-law took three years to get her boots right, because she had to wait until she was back in the UK to go back to the shop. In the resort, she would have got all this sorted in one trip. It became apparent the first day each time that something wasn't right - she then had to ski the rest of the holiday with discomfort.

The exception for me would be if you get a really good sale deal in the UK. My wife did this with Decathlon boots bought in Pontarlier in a July sale. It was a bit wierd given how hot the weather was but the discount was massive. Otherwise, I'd say that the extra cost of buying in the resort (and it may not even be a significant premium) is worth it for ending the holiday with a well-fitted pair of boots.
ski holidays
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that if you buy in the UK and have real problems abroad, you can get them modified in the resort for not too much money. It would be better to do that than to ski for a week with significant problems.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
- The quality of the boot fitter, is more important than the location.

- I had mine fitted in resort, so could get adjustments done over the week. I had the work done in the evening after the lifts had shut, so lost no snow time.

- As said above, buying in the UK means easy access to the shop, if problems are experiences down the road.
snow report
@ralphster I second Rivington Alpine. They did a cracking job for me
latest report
What about doing the initial fit and selection at Surefoot London...then do the tweaks while skiing in Val D'isere or Courcheval?

I presume they will offer this as a service ??

Has anyone used Surefoot and can compare to Solutions4feet in Bicester or Profeet in London ?
latest report
Quote:

No I'm up in the North West, Lancashire/Cumbria border.

How far are you from Stirling? Alain Baxter is up there
snow conditions
@moseyp, probably about as far as from Bicester.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy