Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet!

Poster: A snowHead
Morrrnniiinnnggg!,

I was off travelling around the area on Saturday morning, goggles in hand, in search of a helmet for my upcoming trip to Austria in January... Would be an understatement to say my shopping venture was unsuccessful.

I'm based near Leicester, any recommendations for where i can go and try on some helmets with my goggles?.

Also, is it an absolute MUST that i try a helmet on with my goggles before buying?, or should i just chance it and order one online?.

Kindest of regards!,

Daniel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought mine online. But it is a risk that it won’t quite sit right. I previously bought a Bolle helmet because I had Bolle goggles and thought it would fit properly, but actually there was a bit of a gap that I didn’t like. It wasn’t a full gaper, but when I changed goggles to a Smith set they actually suited the helmet better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buying online is fine so long as you're happy with the hassle of sending it back if it doesn't fit.
I bought a helmet on line a couple of weeks ago but will be sending it back as it doesn't fit.
I popped into Decathlon on Saturday and bought a helmet that fitted will. Decathlon have a reasonable selection so worth a try.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SnowBeau, If you're after very reasonably priced helmets then I believe Aldi's are now available to pre-order online now, or you can wait until next Sunday 26th November when they are in their shops where you can physically see them (and perhaps try them on?)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought mine (Salomom) of eBay, second hand a few years back.

Admittedly I did go to my local Snow & Rock to try it on for fit & size. You'd be surprised how much stuff is available on eBay that has been worn for just the one trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not really advice but I'm on my second Salomon helmet and they fit Oakley goggles perfectly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bought a helmet online & then goggles in a shop to fit.
Got rid of both & now have a visor helmet as they just did not work comfortably after long period of use.

You really do need to try if possible as everyone's head shape is different.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't over think it - in my experience most goggles/helmets fit well enough to be a non-issue. Over the last 5 or so years I've tried the following goggles (in no particular order) with my Sweet Trooper and they've all worked/fit just fine:

- Smith I/OX
- Smith I/O7
- Sungod Revolts
- Adidas Progressor Pro
- Adidas Backland
- Shred something or other
- Wed'ze E-TINT something
- Oakley A-Frame (I think)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SnowBeau, I suggest you get yourself down the A47 and over to RX Sport near Peterborough. If they can't fit you you may be in trouble Very Happy

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Ski-Helmets/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-11-17 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aldi/Lidl used to do helmets - not sure about this year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:

I refer you to my post above. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999,
Quote:

in my experience most goggles/helmets fit well enough to be a non-issue

Agreed. Most goggles fit well enough with most helmets. Online is worth a shot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Daniel. I have a Salomon Quest for sale, in a size medium. It has the auto air custom fit and is in good condition, never dropped or crashed in or damaged in any way. It's been worn with salomon, oakley and Smith I/O goggles all without issue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be warned that if your buy a helmet with a brim the mask may slip off back wards or it balances on the edge and the foam can become damaged. I bought a fantastic helmet a couple of seasons ago online (after a visit to Snow & Rock). I ski with my mask down always but when it comes to restaurants/lifts they do not hold very well on the front of the helmet and flip back. I have resorted to sticking a velcro pad to the front of the helmet to keep them in place. I cannot see the benefit of the brim realistically. Wish I'd bought a rounded helmet to save the faff.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
albob wrote:

I refer you to my post above. Madeye-Smiley

That'll teach me not to read the whole thread...... Embarassed
snow conditions
@SnowBeau, depends on your particular face. I have a particular problem with goggles cutting of nasal airways. Personally i have tried on tens and tens of helmets before i find the best fit and then tried many many googles to suit the helmet / face formulae or interface etc. My advice is to try before you buy...

I have a narrow face so a medium / large and not a large.

I find the bigger bulbous spherical lens versions are quite high and sit to low on my face cheeks.

I notice what world cup racers wear and avoid 'fashion' - def. sign of approaching older age...everyone different though!
ski holidays
[@SnowBeau, POC and Giro seem to fit really well with the popular google profiles - Smith, Oakley, Bloc, Bolle.

A bit of adjustment with the straps is always important - adjust them so that the helmet sits a tad too low over your eyes - then goggles on, Hey Presto, no gap.
snow conditions
I bought mine online, but it's a Salomon Prophet custom air, and is pretty much the same as my old helmet so I knew it would fit. You cna also pump it up to get a more snug fit.

snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@SnowBeau, If you're after very reasonably priced helmets then I believe Aldi's are now available to pre-order online now, or you can wait until next Sunday 26th November when they are in their shops where you can physically see them (and perhaps try them on?)

My current helmet from Lidl, picked it up with the food shop! Laughing Not the most stylish, just bland black, but all the features I'd need and a bargain price
snow report
Thanks for the input all!. Really appreciate it. @PowderAdict, Yeah I'm definitely going to head over to RX some point soon.

@valais2, It's funny you mention Giro actually, I've got a pair of Zeal Voyager goggles and after looking at some pictures it looks like they fit pretty perfectly with Giro helmets.

Think it would just be best for me to get out and try a few on.
latest report
@SnowBeau, if you can, that's a good idea. Do make sure of the adjustment issue. Sometimes a helmet has the right profile but the two just don't work. I have a couple of pairs of Bolle Emperor goggles, and those work really well with POC MIPS Backcountry Receptor - and by work this means no gaper gap, goggle sits nicely on nose and helmet sits nice and low on my forehead (i.e. I can just see the front of the helmet in normal vision). But a bloc evo mates brilliantly with the curve of the POC helmet, but exerts undue pressure on the bridge of my nose (or should I say 'dows' when I am wearing them). If I receive the pressure then the helmet sits too high at the front. So it could be my nose or it could be that Bloc just don't work with POC....but try before you buy seems like a very good idea.
snow report
Just got the Decathlon 300 to replace 7 year old Decathlon - 2 years overdue! Very light and comfortable. Summit goggles fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy