Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts for January Skiing - nervous beg / intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there. I would be really grateful to get some advice on where to ski early Jan (6th or 7th Jan). Went to Les Menuires last year and found the blue slopes too steep and hated the artificial snow. I didn't enjoy skiing much as a result so I really want to get it right this year.

So ideally it would be a resort that has lovely gentle blues (loved the runs in les Arc) and is snow sure. I was looking at Cervinia but it doesn't seem like Jan is a good time to go because of the wind.

Ideally we could stay in a catered chalet with great food and that is ski-in ski out. Budget is around 2k for 2 people for a week - including everything. Nightlife is not that important as we're generally too exhausted to move after a day on the slopes.

Thanks so much.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Plagne could suit, ugly as but got good height and lots of runs that suit mileage hungry intermediates. Although on the basis of the last few seasons, going early January means that there are no guarantees that there will be lots of real snow....although as I'm in La Plagne over New Year I'm hoping that this year will be different Very Happy

Although I can't say that I thought that I thought the runs around Les Menuires were particularly difficult on the few times that I've skied through when I've been in the 3V.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@karen_globalhelpswap, For the week you're going, I'd definitely wait for a late booking, so you know what snow conditions and forecast are like before committing. You may also get a great deal from late booking that week. Your budget should be enough to get something very comfortable...or save money towards next holiday and still get somewhere decent.

Many places would suit in right conditions in France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tips.

So far San Cassiano and Mont Genevre have caught my eye. I'll have a look at la Plagne too.

Good idea to wait for a late booking
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loads of resorts will suit you if the snow isn't awful (last year was unusually bad in Jan). If you can travel from gatwick and you're not bringing skis, you've an excellent chance of getting a late booking with a tour operator. Availability from other airports is more patchy, and sometimes ski carriage will have sold out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Cervinia unusually windy in January? It is high of course...

Catered chalets more common in France although not unknown elsewhere. If you are relatively agnostic as to where you want to go I'd leave booking accommodation till late - but maybe get flights booked in.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you thought about Andorra - either Soldeu or El-tarter in Grandvalira would definitely suit. Miles of lovely gentle blues! Hard to predict the weather in January but it's pretty snow sure at that time of year.

It's not quite ski-in ski out but lifts are generally a couple of minutes walk from accomodation.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In terms of ski runs I'd particularly recommend the following:
Les Saisies, Montgenevre or Morillon/Les Carroz (Morillon has slightly easier runs but I prefer staying in Les Carroz).

However I don't know of chalet accommodation as we have "self catered" in recent years and eaten out in mountain restaurants at lunch. We have stayed in the higher end apartments with access to pool and Jacuzzi etc after a days skiing. Eg. les chalets de jouvence, Les Carroz. We have also either driven or taken the train to these resorts

Valmorel might be another one to consider. It is a long time since I've been there and from memory it is not quite as cruisy as the above but is generally good for beginners/intermediates. We stayed in Hotel du Bourg which is B and B and went by Eurostar direct ski train. The hotel was right in the main street so we could try a different restaurant each night for supper. It is very attractive for a purpose built resort.

I also suspect that the reason you found les menuires difficult last year was due to the snow conditions. If you'd been to Les arcs then you might have found it the same.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saisies will likely have good snow, with base of 1650 m. The blue runs on Mount Bisanne and throughout the resort are perfect for nervous beginners, and the scenery is stunning. There is plenty of English language instruction, too.

It would be a good choice, but I don't think you will find catered chalets there, at least in my experience. I'd describe the food overall as "adequate" so long as you stick to the savoyard combination of cheese, potatoes and preserved meat. Early in January you might be able to find good ski in/out apartments, or ones that are a few steps from the lifts. They are mostly on the Bisanne side of the main road.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
So far San Cassiano and Mont Genevre have caught my eye.

Both perfect for you Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courchevel 1650 (Moriond). Lovely wide blue slopes down to the village as well as cruisey blues up at the top. Plenty of chalets there to choose from..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another recommendation for Montgenevre. Went with a first time skier at Easter just gone and she loved it, nice long gentle runs and absolutely dead quiet. Perfect for building confidence.

Not sure how it is on the chalet side of things but think there was an apartment block or two near the Les Chalmettes lift that would be ski in/out.

Resort's open now, and I think is renowned for being snow sure.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Thuile - Gondala Up - Greens/easy Blues galore in th huge bowl - gondola down at end of day....Nothing but confidence boosting slopes to help you improve....Zero stress / maximum enjoyment for beginners / nervous intermediates Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@karen_globalhelpswap, I wouldn't discount Cervinia. The slopes on the Italian side are exactly what you're looking for. If it's windy the link to Zermatt may be closed but there's more than enough to keep a nervous skier going with nice gentle runs and fantastic food on the mountain.

Don't think there are many chalets there, definitely one run by either Crystal nor Inghams. Lots of decent hotels on b and b with lots of nice restaurants around. I'd recommend it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As others have said, Montgenevre is a good choice, for the reasons stated.

Other options with ski in/out that might work are:

La Rosiere - high, generally snow sure with South facing slopes (so nice restaurant stops with sunny terraces). Plenty of cruisey runs, easy to navigate around.

Belle Plagne has ski in/out options (and plenty that are as near as damn it). Many very benign blue runs, great for confidence building. Shouldn't be overly busy in January. Snow sure and Belle Plagne has, IMO, quite a nice village-like feel.

Whilst no guarantee, both La Ros and Belle Plagne are high enough to be confident of reasonable conditions if you're looking to get booked up now.
ski holidays
Mountain sun have a large friendly chalet literally on the slope in San Cassianno. Cheap and cheerful although not to be said of some of the other restaurants in San Cass. Blue means very blue there in terms of piste difficulty
latest report
Quote:

Saisies will likely have good snow, with base of 1650 m. The blue runs on Mount Bisanne and throughout the resort are perfect for nervous beginners, and the scenery is stunning. There is plenty of English language instruction, too.

It would be a good choice, but I don't think you will find catered chalets there, at least in my experience. I'd describe the food overall as "adequate" so long as you stick to the savoyard combination of cheese, potatoes and preserved meat. Early in January you might be able to find good ski in/out apartments, or ones that are a few steps from the lifts. They are mostly on the Bisanne side of the main road.

No catered chalets in Saisies. Loads of ski in/out apartments and plenty of choice of restaurants within very easy reach. There are a couple with good food other than the dreaded Savoyard specialities! The terrain would be ideal for you - as would the absence of boy racers (often incompetent boy racers) who can be unnerving for beginners, however easy the slope. In fact the boy racers come into their own on easy slopes - with their racing fantasies. wink But I'd strongly recommend waiting till the last minute for that week. It would make sense to book flights now if you don't want to go for a package, but there should be plenty of choice of last minute accommodation, if you're flexible.

The most important element of your holiday, to help you gain confidence is, of course, lessons! Group lessons in Saisies will be almost 100% in French but private lessons are cheap.
snow report
Continuing on the same theme, where would be good in Austria (flying into Innsbruck) in January for a slightly nervous beginner (she doesn't quite do parallel turns, more sort of 'braked'), last year she conquered her fear of button lifts which was a huge plus, so she's fine with them now!

I'll do my own thing, will go with her when she's not with an instructor, so not to worried about me, I'll just go on whatever is available.

Ideally looking for:

Easy blues (doesn't need to be that extensive in terms of mileage, but the less people the better) so that we can tackle some slopes together
Accommodation possible near a lift (or gondola more likely)
90 mins or less transfer time

Am thinking maybe Obergurgl could be the best bet, but specifically thinking about a nervous beginner where else amongst the many resorts near Innsbruck is worth considering?
snow report
Wow! So many great recommendations. Thanks so much. Snowymum I love the look of Les Carroz. Would anyone recommend any ski in/out catered chalets in Les Carroz?
snow report
Also has anyone been to both San Cassiano and Les Carroz? What's different about the two areas?
ski holidays
@karen_globalhelpswap, I've skied both areas... SC ski area is a rounded mound of high ground covered in blue runs, whereas LC is slightly more mountainous with more variety of runs (ie more harder ones) and more complex links to the neighbouring resorts in the Grand Massif ski area

Both good areas - personally I prefer the dolomites to the Grand Massif.

LC is not really a 'ski-in ski-out' type resort as the lifts and ski area are right up at the top of the village, but others with local knowledge may be able to suggest somewhere.
latest report
@karen_globalhelpswap, There is the Milk Hotel at the foot of the slopes in les carroz but it is at the bottom of a red piste and it would be a bit of a walk from there down to the village if you wanted to go to bars etc. I have never stayed in this hotel but it has sometimes been recommended on here in the past.

We stay at les chalets de Jouvence which is at the foot of a really easy blue piste and better located for the village and you should be able to ski to and from the door in January. les chalets de jouvence is self catering but high end with a pool and spa. You can get croissants etc delivered to reception in the mornings. At lunchtime there are some really nice mountain restaurants to choose from. Then in the evening we have sometimes eaten out at places like le refuge 1100 in the village which is really nice.
snow report
Quote:

SC ski area is a rounded mound of high ground covered in blue runs,

But don't forget that the mound of blues above San Cassiano is also linked in to Corvara / Colfosco and the Sella Ronda. And you have the Lagazuoi Hidden Valley run for a bit of interest.

That whole area really is stunning. See the latest video they made for the start of the season to get an idea of what it's like. I think the large open scene below and @ 1.05 in the video is somewhere around the Pralongia area above San Casiano.

http://youtube.com/v/1Qvw0IHlAPk
ski holidays
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

So far San Cassiano and Mont Genevre have caught my eye. I'll have a look at la Plagne too.

Good idea to wait for a late booking

We went to Monty at the end of January for our second ski trip. Firstly, loads of snow! Where lot's of other places were struggling for snow, we had an abundance and for 4 days, fresh powder. It's a high resort so is pretty much snow sure and has the benefit of trees on the lower pistes so you can still ski if the weather comes in. It has loads of cruisey blues and the Gondrans sections is particularly nice. If you do want to push yourself, then it has some nice reds that aren't much up from a blue as well. As we went out of school holidays, it was quiet on the slopes. We didn't queue once for a lift in our whole week. Sometimes it would only be us on a piste (or so it seemed!).
The town is a quaint little affair. A few more lively pubs but it is not a massive apres scene. Le Graal seemed to be the hub of most of the evening drinking. Had a good selection of beer and even Stowford Press Cider (my favorite). Showed lived sports as well, so we were able to catch the 6 Nations games. Some nice restaurants there as well.
Even though we had the Via Lattea pass, we didn't actually venture out of Monty and Claviere, but that pass does give you access to all the other resorts that make up the Via Lattea (if you do get really adventurous).
We stayed in the Chalet Chaberton through Neilson. It was set back in the village (as I couldn't really see anywhere that was ski in/ski out). It was a 10 min walk down to the main meeting area or there was the free village bus that dropped off and picked up right outside the chalet.
I think it could be perfect for what you are looking for. It's only a short transfer from Turin as well.

This year, we are off to La Plagne and staying in the Chalet Bon Vie with Ice & Fire. Have a look at their options as they have some fantastic reviews. The Bon Vie is ski in/ski out straight onto a blue which is perfect for our group as we have a range of abilities. Again, La Plagne is full of nice runs for intermediates and again is a high resort so should have snow of some sort!
ski holidays
@karen_globalhelpswap & @vjmehra

Why the need for such a mainstream, large, and expensive ski resort?

@karen_globalhelpswap

Going early January should be a good time.

Perhaps also think about places that will limit (fast) skiers even further from using the blue pistes e.g. i) the resort is small ii) it has a speed controlled beginner area(s), iii) it has blue/beginner pistes away from the main ski area iv) the resort is less well known v) the resort is aimed at families

Let me know if any of these would seem important and I can offer some ideas. Maybe consider areas such as Chamrousse, Isola, and Puy St Vincent.

@vjmehra

Depends on how large a resort but there are lots of small resorts that could be good choices. Let me know what size and I can give some ideas. Maybe consider areas such as Ehrwald, Seefeld, and Kutai.
snow report
I’m soooo torn now. All the suggestions are fantastic. Think I ll wait till a couple of weeks before and see which resort has the best options. One things for sure I ve got my ski resorts covered for the next few years!
snow report
Quote:

Think I ll wait till a couple of weeks before and see which resort has the best options

A wise option given when you're going. The people on here are a great source of knowledge and do come up with some great suggestions.

Let us know where you finally decide to go.
snow report
@Millom, thanks for the tips. I like long cruisy blues and a feeling of travelling from one place to another. Usually our skiing is planned around visiting a particular place for its amazing hot chocolate or great food. Empty pistes is definitely high up on my list. Having a ton of people whizz past me last year made me nervous - didnt really enjoy that. Although at the same time I'm not sure smaller resorts would allow that feeling of 'travel'. Accommodation is also important. Having a lovely cosy place with a fire place and a hot tub or pool is perfect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@olderscot, that video is amazing!!!
snow report
I've received a quote from Interactive resorts for flights, transfers & catered stay at the Chalet hotel parc victoria for £610 per person. Cortina also seems lovely and the deal looks pretty good - what do you think?
latest report
Cortina is generally not known for ski in/out?
ski holidays
@pam w, Agreed - definitely not. But it seems to tick a lot of the other boxes Smile
snow report
Well, as ever, booking for early January means that natural snow might be sketchy - or even non-existent - though that area is good at snow making, provided it's cold enough. Early January also means the best chance of last minute bargains. I've skied only one day in Cortina - and that was yonks ago - but lots of Snowheads know it well - might be worth a thread asking about its suitability for you, given that you found the blues in Les Menuires too steep. Will you be taking lessons?
snow report
@pam w, Hmmm so maybe not the right place for us. I really felt nervous skiing on machine made snow last year so my top priority is to be in a resort that has natural snow in January.

Yes I'm likely to take a few lessons to improve.
Thanks!!
ski holidays
@karen_globalhelpswap, based on what you've said, I'd definitely suggest waiting until New Year's Day or beyond before deciding where to go. There'll be lots of availability in suitable resorts 6/7 Jan. Prices will be lower. Most importantly, you'll know pretty well what snow conditions are like and will have their best guesstimate of the weather in different areas the following week.
It may sound daft, but if, like me, you've had a week mostly stuck indoors because there was too much snow (a rare event), the benefits of late booking at off peak times become obvious. snowHead
snow conditions
@karen_globalhelpswap, will your nervous beginner and intermediate plan on having ski lessons when you are on holiday? The quality of ski instruction can make a difference to a ski holiday, and not all ski schools/instructors are equal.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Im the nervous one. That's interesting to hear. I had a couple of private lessons last year but didn't really progress all that much. Can;t figure out how to 'slide' if that's the correct term. It was the fake snow that made me nervous as I've been pretty ok when skiing on natural snow. But I'll do some research on good instructors if that makes a difference.
I"m definitely waiting till the new year to book. I just enjoy planning our skiing holiday so much - can't help myself Smile
latest report
@karen_globalhelpswap, depending on the resort you might get some recommendations for instructors here on snowHeads. Choice of ski school has often been a big factor for me in deciding what resort to visit.
ski holidays
@mrmagoo, Do you know of any good ski in/out hotels or Chalets in La Thuile.
snow report
Hmmm...I really think that you want a good instructor above all else. To be honest if I were you I would dedicate this year to improving to the point that you can ski any blue run in most conditions (except ice, of course...we all hate ice), and that will open up a world of resort possibilities.

If you can afford it I'd do private lessons every morning, take a good lunch and apply what you've learned in the PM. Skiing is not cheap, but if you can sink the costs early the long-term rewards are greater for spending all that money.

(One other "since you asked" tip is to do ski-specific exercises well in advance. If your quads/glues/ankles are strong and flexible, you'll feel more stable and confident.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy