Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler OR Banff Xmas 2019 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Which one would folks recommend? Xmas/New Year 2018/19.

We generally ski in the Alps and love it; but want to try Canada.

We are totally on piste, but don't mind a good days skiing and like some challenging blacks.

Like our comforts, including a place near the lifts. Not so keen on taking buses to the lifts etc, but we will if we have to.

Like modern lifts and it not to be too cold — but I hear that will be tricky!

Many thanks for your advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want a place near the lifts then probably Whistler.

Banff is a small town (very nice) with no lift or skiing actually in the town. It a (free from most hotels) bus journey or drive to the nearest 3 x mountains.

Mt Norquay 10min

Sunshine 30 min

Lake Louise 45 min

Whitsler is amazing, Banff is a special place ad I'm guessing you figure both with be very busy that time of year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-11-17 13:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Whistler is more coastal and Banff inland, I'd say not too cold also points to Whistler (I've never been). As it is also known to rain there during the ski season, that suggests temps are higher!!

I've said before, I actually love the bus trip to Lake Louise. Don't think European "bus"; it's a coach. Lets you wake up in the morning with a large coffee and muffin, and snooze on the way home ready for the evening.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whistler.

Take lots of layers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I personally prefer Banff. It is a great ski town with a friendly and welcoming feel, lots of decent restaurants and bars and more variation in skiing between Lake Louise and Sunshine...Norquay is fairly small but ideal for beginners, half a day or even night skiing. We also drove out to Kicking Horse from Banff, which was good fun! The only downside is it isn't ski in/out. We have always hired a car and it was never a problem as it was warmed up and loaded in the morning by the hotel and taken away as soon as we returned...allowing us to go straight for apres. Whistler/Blackcomb is more ski in/out depending where you stay, you may still be quite a way from the lift access. We also found more queues for lifts in Whistler, less in Blackcomb and never had any trouble in Lake Louise or Sunshine and we have done a month at a time including over Christmas/ New Year in both several times. Both are very good ski resorts, but Banff certainly edges it for me. Both will be cold!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler is incredibly crowded over xmas/new year. Personally, I would avoid it at that time. Bus rules out Banff. Fernie might be an option (would require a bus from town to the resort but its only 10mins).

Blacks in Canada are usually not pisted, and may be considerably harder than euro blacks. Resort set up is a little different out there - everything within the resort is avalanche controlled so you can ski anywhere (trees, bowls, chutes etc.) without the need for a guide or avalanche equipment. If that doesn't appeal and you just want to ski pisted trails you might be better off staying in Europe and saving the money to do Canada at a better time of year in future.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Goliard wrote:
We have always hired a car and it was never a problem as it was warmed up and loaded in the morning by the hotel and taken away as soon as we returned...allowing us to go straight for apres.

Wow. Which hotel??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Rimrock Hotel. It is a short taxi ride into Banff but the service is excellent.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought there was a bus to and from town at the Rimrock, but I haven't been there for about 15yrs Crying or Very sad but loved it when we went.
All the resorts will be busy at Christmas and New Year. If you go for New Year it will get quiet within a day or so, but it will stay busy between the 2. Most Canadians get boxing day off the Americans don't. Its all down to the number of days leave it takes to get a decent break. Canadians and Americans will do 3-4 nights at Christmas they can take 3 days off and get a weeks break at new year its straight back to work.
I would go to either for Christmas / New Year. Or Panorama, Fernie, Silver Star, Big White, Sun Peaks, Red, Revelstoke, I have missed a few, but any would do some of them have already opened for this season!! Embarassed I havent been watching the webcams every day (yes i have) the emails about snow levels and open runs have started. If you decide to go check out the price for season passes for the resort you want as an earlybird pass (may- june) is often only 8 days of skiing and you get money off lessons and food in the restaurants and rental gear and servicing........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goliard,
A warm car waiting for you on a morning and parked for you at night! Wow! Very Happy

That sounds fantastic and not something I knew existed, as its not something I've ever been offered in over 100 weeks of car rental on ski trips (sigh).

Maybe one day...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister, SWMBO gets that all the time Madeye-Smiley Although it doesn't seem the same for me Toofy Grin

Personally it would do it for me - but each to their own I suppose Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bergmeister @Goliard @Orange200
We always end up in the Caribou Lodge in Banff, even if we did tn intend going there.

It has an underground car park which is great, juts leave the skis in the back ready for the next day.

Where they really scored with us though was we were caught out in a storm heading to Kicking Horse, but the sensible thing to do was stop the night. We parked up in the side street by Caribou lodge went to check prices and availability for the night,
They let us have a twin room for Cdn€79 ... brilliant ...

Then they sent a team out to dig the van out of the snow so we could get in the car park. Top Class service!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy