Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Dryers - Recommendations or bad idea?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of getting a simple boot dryer, just something cheap for when I finish practise

I've heard they can put your custom footbeds out of shape or affect the shell, any truth in that?
I was planning to dry by just taking the liner out of the boot but I think regularly taking in and out the liner will wear it down, it won't dry as well and is hassle.

So are driers safe and can anyone recommend something reasonably priced?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/thermic-boot-glove-warmers/thermic-boot-glove-warmer-detail.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use one of these Thermic dryers and find it very effective.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had a couple of Thermic boot driers, one of which still works, the other more complex one died after a few years use.

I now have a Hotronic Snapdry as it is the only one I could find in the UK that also works on 110/120v for the US and Japan

http://hotronic.com/products/sd/index.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use Sidas drywarmers, no problem with shell or footbeds over quite a few seasons skiing nearly everday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cat litter, pair of tights, works perfectly in my drysuit boots, no reason why it shouldn't in ski boots. I shall try it this season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of boots you have to take the liner in and out every time, so don't worry about it doing any harm- it won't.

How bad are they? I've only had one pair of boots leak and duct tape across the toe fixed it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
endoman wrote:
Cat litter, pair of tights, drysuit boots

That brought up a mental picture I didn't need Shocked Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-11-17 21:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am pretty sure an over hot dryer deformed one of my footbeds but of course only think about fixing it when I put my boots on. And then forget.

I have horribly sweaty feet so wouldn't be without them Also the boots are nice and warm in the morning.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was told not to use dryers in my boots when I had them fitted by CEM, hence the cat litter idea. Spyderjon's look like a decent option though if they don't deform anything.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a couple of sets for Mrs Ski and me. Taking the liners out (and not using the heaters) drys out my liners for the next day with no risk of deforming.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If this is for a travel friendly option, I think the Thermic should be OK with liners and footbeds. The air isn't that hot.

If it's for your own place, the Quadalp is the daddy and less than you might imagine. Near silent, good flow of warm air (not hot), built to last... and a handy place to store your boots. http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127118
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I was told not to use dryers in my boots when I had them fitted by CEM, hence the cat litter idea.

Interestingly my local bootfitter who knows CEM really well advised me to use the boot dryers but not the boot heaters you get in hotels etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been to a hotel posh enough to have working boot dryers! PLace in Jan had the sticks you put your boots on, we used them, but the skis still had unmelted snow on them kept in the same little locker, so the boots moves up to our room the next night.

I do now appear to have ordered some of spyderjons dryers. Got to be easier than taking cat litter on the plane!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had a Hotronic one that packed up after a few months, shop exchanged it for another make which died on the first use. Gave up.
latest report
Thermic like @Alastair, uses I find ok - don’t get too hot and will dry boots overnight.
latest report
Alastair wrote:
I use one of these Thermic dryers and find it very effective.

Those are for sale in decathlon for 30 pounds but i went for these instead just for the compact size and a very cheap tenner https://www.decathlon.co.uk/boot-dryer-id_8375022.html
snow report
@gad, those are very similar in appearance to what I use. Mine and the OH’s are about 16 years old and still functional...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@gad, those are very similar in appearance to what I use. Mine and the OH’s are about 16 years old and still functional...

For a tenner they’re a bargain, i would have liked then to have the U.V. Light in but they’ll do for a back up to the boot room dryers. Edit, i’ve Read the write up and it does have the U.V. Light

And with them being small it’s getting important because of the helmets, GoPro with the chest mount, pole mount, not forgetting gps goggles, chargers, remote controls, back up batteries, cables....... Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Unconvinced UV penetration depth (more or less zero) makes it helpful.

But overnight 50C heat source definitely is!
latest report
This lot were at the ski show

https://drysure.co

Does not use heat so would not have any problems with deformation issues but would not have that lovely warm toasty boot feeling in the morning.

Never used them so can't recommend but pointing out as an option although from memory another snow head didn't sound like they thought too much of them if they were the boot driers referred to on the ski show thread.
snow report
@endoman, We have been using ones mentioned by Spyderjon for quite a few years now and no problems with orthotics in boots. snowHead
latest report
The drysure looks just like a posh version of my cat litter in tights.
snow report
@endoman,
Quote:

I was told not to use dryers in my boots when I had them fitted by CEM
Really? He told me not to use boot room dryers, but the stick ones are fine and I think I may even have bought mine from him. I have been using them for years, without taking the liners out. When I've been to Hemel, though, I don't bother - just putting the boots in the airing cupboard for a day does the trick.
latest report
I had some UV ones that worked well. They stopped the damp and the mustiness. Can't comment on the scientific efficacy of the UV but who cares if they work anyway. Sorry I can't remember the make because some light fingered little git liberated them from a garage along with all my other ski tools and gizmos a while back.
I think they may have been AlpenHeat though as they had the same style and orange colour.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47860
snow conditions
I have a set of the ones from @spyderjon, which he linked earlier. They do the job nicely overnight without getting too hot to mess with footbeds.
snow report
Following CEM's recommendation to use a dryer (but most strongly recommended NOT to use the hot hotel dryer/warmers) I bought a Hotronic.

I found it very reliable for such a tinny piece of kit. Probably used well over 200 evenings to dry boots, sometimes 2 pairs. Keep expecting it to conk out, but it won't.

Not hot enough to spoil custom footbeds or liners.
snow conditions
Maybe I misheard CEM then, deffo said not to use hotel ones, but I await my ones from jon .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've also had the Hotronic snapdry for years, works well for a couple of pairs of boots
snow report

But not really a portable option Wink

(Grrr don't know why it's uploaded at 90° rotation)
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
.....Grrr don't know why it's uploaded at 90° rotation

'cause you've exceeded the file/pixel size in height so the system flips it around to fit. Or something like that - my IT skills are pants.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
This lot were at the ski show

https://drysure.co

Does not use heat so would not have any problems with deformation issues but would not have that lovely warm toasty boot feeling in the morning.

Never used them so can't recommend but pointing out as an option although from memory another snow head didn't sound like they thought too much of them if they were the boot driers referred to on the ski show thread.

Ordered a pair for my trip in Jan. Will see how they perform.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
.....Grrr don't know why it's uploaded at 90° rotation

'cause you've exceeded the file/pixel size in height so the system flips it around to fit. Or something like that - my IT skills are pants.

Looks fine to me on a iPad.

I wonder how many pairs of ski boots over the years have died in front of an open fire (yes, I know this isn't an open fire).
latest report
Occasionally you find out a thing that makes you feel ecstatic that you've found it and at the same time very, very stupid for not realising that there would be a thing. For me, this is such an occasion.

Every day I cycle into work, come rain or shine, but usually rain. A number of years ago I moved into a brand new office without opening windows and without radiators. The problem whereby people can't decide whether they're too hot or too cold and then fail to take appropriate action has been solved and a computer now does it all for them. But without radiators I can't dry my rain soaked shoes and have to put them on cold and sopping wet to ride home.

Until now. I'm so chuffed I think I'll buy two.
latest report
@Penry, Very Happy
snow report
@colly10, Thermic for me to. I've just replaced another thermic device that's been used extensively for a decade, still produced warm air but one of the extending tubes became embrittled with retaining plastic fracturing - so very reliable.

A single hour on, has always been enough. replaced with the simple 'on/off' version and not the much more expensive timer version...

It's essential kit for me...

Apparently, it outputs warm air at +20c to ambient which is a little hotter than it's predecessor from memory along with a slightly increased air throughput.

Can be used for wet gloves and shoes to.
snow report
I cycle commute and find this irritating too. Employers promotes their 'Cycle to Work Scheme' but don't provide anywhere to dry soaking wet cycling gear. On building sites, a drying room is a legal requirement, I reckon it should be for all places of employment.

Penry wrote:
Occasionally you find out a thing that makes you feel ecstatic that you've found it and at the same time very, very stupid for not realising that there would be a thing. For me, this is such an occasion.

Every day I cycle into work, come rain or shine, but usually rain. A number of years ago I moved into a brand new office without opening windows and without radiators. The problem whereby people can't decide whether they're too hot or too cold and then fail to take appropriate action has been solved and a computer now does it all for them. But without radiators I can't dry my rain soaked shoes and have to put them on cold and sopping wet to ride home.

Until now. I'm so chuffed I think I'll buy two.
snow report
I use these, I LOVE them and wouldn't be without them now. I used to suffer from cold, painful feet because my boots never dried out properly.

https://www.tiso.com/blue-sida-1100356/sidas-drywarmer-no-colour-blue-sida-1100356/100000154415/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAl8rQBRDrARIsAEW_To828HU2pO5vQGboaiO0xroEzEn1qHF8uhGoi1W0_uuocYijncWgfdoaApk-EALw_wcB

No problem with warping the footbeds, and toasty warm toes to start every day. They've changed my world!

ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, Hmm, much smaller than the Thermic warm air blowers - you got me tempted with your comments...
ski holidays
We use something similar to the Drysure ones.
One pair I've had for getting on for 20 years. Put them in the boots at night, on the radiator during the day. Boots always dry in the morning.
I pull the liners out about once a week to dry out between the liner and the shell.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy