Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner friendly resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I've done a little bit of research on here but guess nothing beats having your own topic...

I'm looking for somewhere with very beginner runs, quiet, preferably green but easy blue's would be ok too I think. Mrs Biblu only learnt to ski last year in Montgenevre (which is fantastic for beginners btw), and we're looking for somewhere she can slowly build confidence up; she's a pretty good beginner - stable, controlled and plough turning comfortably but needs to get some miles under her belt.

The quiet and easy runs are the priority but it would be nice to have somewhere with a little apres to let her experience the atmosphere and something else to do if we want a morning or afternoon off (swimming/ice skating/sledging etc). A pretty resort would gain you 10 extra bonus points but it's the least important aspect.

Oh, and the better half is a teacher so limited to half term 10th - 17th Feb (on which basis I've essentially (wrongly?) discounted French resorts)

I'm expecting to DIY, so having a car isn't a problem but would be nice to not have to drive to the pistes every morning and be able to come down and walk into a bar.

After research I've concluded on the following list, happy to hear if you think theres a more suitable resort:
    - Passo Tonale - was set on PT but fairly bland, someone mentioned the poor visibility aspect due to lack of trees and from what I can gather there is little to nothing 'extra' to do in resort
    - San Cassiano
    - Pila - seems to get good reviews for beginners, and generally people seem to talk well of it
    - Alpe d'Huez - looked fantastic for beginners, comparing piste maps it looks the more beginner friendly, but will it be super busy being French holidays?
    - Alpbach - late arrival thanks to the recommendation from sugarmoma666. Fast becoming the top choice with short airport transfer, renowned prettiness, and renowned beginner friendliness.

I guess it'll somewhat come down to costs too, but eager to get some input Happy

edit: forgot to add that I couldn't find much about other things to do in Alpbach and I was swaying towards Italian resorts initially as I understood they're cheaper and would be quiet during half terms. I read that Alpbach is a popular british destination, so might it be rammed during half term?

edit2: I stopped being a muppet and worked out the piste maps

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-11-17 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Biblu, good shortlist. No doubt snowHeads will give detailed views and suggest additions to it. Personally I'd suggest adding La Thuile (linked to La Rosiere) to it.
A general point from me. Most French resorts will be very busy that week, including Alpe D'Huez.
I think Italy will be quietest if that is very important to you. La Ros is a bit out of the way and doesn't get such bottlenecks at peak times as many French resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hemsedal in Norway - but check whether NO schools have hols that week - can be v busy if so. It is also Carnivale in Italy, so the start of the week will be busy in Italian resorts. Fasching in most of AT, too, IIRC
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I read that Montgenevre had close to the best snowfall stats last season, so on that basis it seems a good start.

Obvious choice along that vien is Sauze D Oulx, which has an enviable range of piste for a beginner, and in Italy to boot. There whole area radiating out from Sportina platue is literally covered in broad blue pistes with superb scope for progression.
There are all sort of legacy opinions of the area vis a vis visitor's behaviour but they appear out of date, people just trot out the same old stuff.

It has an great atmosphere and walk off the snow into a bar convenience at days end.

Well worth considering I feel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Guys/Gals (delete as appropriate)

intermediate wrote:
Personally I'd suggest adding La Thuile (linked to La Rosiere) to it.

I did see La Thuile pop up a couple of times but also saw many people mention a fairy difficult run back into resort. It sounded like something that could destroy my wife's brittle confidence, the little that there is Happy.

dobby wrote:
Hemsedal in Norway - but check whether NO schools have hols that week - can be v busy if so. It is also Carnivale in Italy, so the start of the week will be busy in Italian resorts. Fasching in most of AT, too, IIRC.

Sounds promising - I'd discounted any scandinavian country as I assumed they'd be too expensive? I've seen Carnivale written a couple of times, but not sure what it is? Is it just a 1 day (13th?) Italian bank holiday, or a couple days? Same for Fasching...? AT = Austria?

ski3 wrote:
I read that Montgenevre had close to the best snowfall stats last season, so on that basis it seems a good start.

Obvious choice along that vien is Sauze D Oulx, which has an enviable range of piste for a beginner, and in Italy to boot. There whole area radiating out from Sportina platue is literally covered in broad blue pistes with superb scope for progression.

Montgenevre was great, and I see they're about to open now for the season. Admittedly, we didn't go till April, so it was a little mushy but the fact the wife could go from the top of the mountain all the way down gave it a real sense of achievement...and real ski break. We were trying to go somewhere different this time round

I thought Sauze was a more intermediate resort (never been, just reading up) - it seems to have a lot of reds? I'm only going off the piste maps which is a real rubbish way, i know. The area of blues you describe sounds good - might have to do a bit of research on Sauze.

Another question surrounding Alpbach is whether it's described as beginner because it has a nursery slope in the village; one of the best aspects of Montgenevre, and looks the case with Passo Tonale, is the ability to actually get some height with nice long runs down the mountain. The feeling that you're actually 'proper' skiing rather than stuck on a magic carpet/nearest drag lift.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Saisies. Just google images for the resort (specifically Mont Bisanne), multiple motorway greens and blues with consistent gradient right next to the village, quiet, attractive, high (for village pistes). No scary rocky bits!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look here re Alpbach: http://welove2ski.com/ski-juwel-alpbach-wildschonau
I'd suggest that you're not looking for nursery slopes so much as beginner slopes. Nice wide blue runs would be perfect.
As for La Thuile, you've heard right that the resort run is hard - I'll happily ski most blacks but hated it. However, you don't need to ski it as you can come down in the lift. To be honest, I'd suggest that in most resorts your wife would be better downloading, as resort runs are often busy mountain trails that can kill confidence at the end of a day.
What about Serre Chevalier? You'd need to pick the right base to get access to the fabulous greens. Alpe d'Huez has a big bowl of greens that might suit but the runs further up the mountain are a big step up in difficulty.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BoardieK, I'm a big fan of Les Saisies (I've had an apartment there for 15 years!) and the wider Espace Diamant. But at half term it's busy, and the two major chairs out of the bowl are both real bottlenecks. Elsewhere in the Espace Diamant Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly are less busy - but not so beginner-friendly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Important that you don't say beginner, you are looking for lower intermediate. Beginners can't put skis on, we waste a lot of time with this every season Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris_n wrote:
Important that you don't say beginner, you are looking for lower intermediate. Beginners can't put skis on, we waste a lot of time with this every season Very Happy

Can you answer the OP's questions about Alpbach?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, Alpbach is very popular with Brits and will be busy at half term, but so will everywhere else. Half term this year for UK is the week before Dutch half term so that should help. As far as the skiing goes there is a short drag on the top to find your feet again and a couple of lifts over the back from the Gmhakopf chair that are usually fairly quiet. On the front side the slopes are mainly wide open and apart from a few crossing points you should be able to find plenty of room. It is also a stunningly beautiful village.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Alpbach 4 years ago at half term. We were attracted by the idea of a traditional village and it was lovely. BUT very popular with brits so absolutely rammed. The beginner slope in the village is tiny and only suitable for half an hour. The rest of the slopes are a bus ride away. We were staying towards the beginning of the village and the busses start at the top. The busses were so full by the time they got to us we couldn't get on. We ended up having to hike to the terminal with 3 small kids just to get on the bus. There are very few beginner slopes, mostly red and quite tricky and crazy busy! At lunchtime every restaurant was so full there was no chance of a table. Everything was high quality so it's a great place but not in half term.
We thought this was normal for half term but the following year we went to vaujany and I couldn't believe how quiet it was! - not as pretty though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also, be careful of sauze - I think it's Mardi grass that week? If so then the piste bashers take a holiday too! No bashing Friday to Wednesday when we were there - carnage! Not suitable for beginners. But on the upside it was easy to find quiet slopes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
our family love Montgenevre so you made a good choice starting there.

I think you would be better off going at Easter again for quieter pistes and cheaper costs all round. For Easter I'd recommend the following:
Les Carroz or Morillon. We like Chalets de Jouvence at the foot of the piste in les carroz if your budget will stretch to it. If you want somewhere a bit higher you could book accommodation in Flaine instead. I just think the runs in Les Carroz/Morillon are more suited to beginners/intermediates and if the snow is good they are beautiful resorts and the mountain cafes are very good - especially Chalet d'clair in Morillon. I would not recommend this ski area for half term though as it can get very busy.

Les Saisies - scenic, easy runs in centre of resort, nice off the beaten track feel if you like speaking a bit of French on holiday as I do!

However if you definitely want to go at half term I'd consider these places:
La Rosiere (les cimes blanches in les eucharts)
Les Arcs
Val Cenis

It is ages since I've skied in Italy or Austria so I cannot help with those.

We have been to all the above self drive or ski train with Peak Retreats or their subsidiary ski collection.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saas Fe could be thrown into the mix although someone else needs to comment re half term crowds as I haven't been there at that time. The downside is costs are higher than Italy or Austria.
Upsies: Pretty village (bonus) - compact and eminently walkable to slopes, bars and accommodation; extra curricular activities (swimming pool; ice rink); blue runs quite gentle on the glacier allowing lower intermediates to enjoy some seriously breathtaking scenery (but unlike PT if there is white out there is a bit of stuff lower down) and - from memory - I think it is possible to ski all the way from the top to the bottom on easy-medium blues; Swiss Ski School (personally, much preferred by me to ESF); also their 2nd nursery slope is quite long and good enough for a confidence boosting couple of runs before hitting the mountain itself; some but not excessive amounts of apres ski.
I'll stop there..better do some work Toofy Grin
snow report
Saas Fe could be thrown into the mix (although someone else needs to comment re half term crowds as I haven't been there at that time. The downside is costs are higher than Italy or Austria.
Upsies: Pretty village (bonus) - compact and eminently walkable to slopes, bars and accommodation; extra curricular activities (swimming pool; ice rink); blue runs quite gentle on the glacier allowing lower intermediates to enjoy some seriously breathtaking scenery (but unlike PT if there is white out there is a bit of stuff lower down) and - from memory - I think it is possible to ski all the way from the top to the bottom on easy-medium blues; Swiss Ski School (personally, much preferred by me to ESF); also their 2nd nursery slope is quite long and good enough for a confidence boosting couple of runs before hitting the mountain itself; some but not excessive amounts of apres ski.
I'll stop there..better do some work Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@BoardieK, Les Saisies looks great on the piste map, seems to tick most of the boxes but with pam confirming it'll be busy it might have to join Alpbach on the list to visit outside of half term when Mrs Biblu retires in 30 years Shocked Laughing

@sugarmoma666, Again, piste map looks great! A base in either Chantemerle or Villeneuve looks great; but I'd thought (as a very inexperienced skier of 3 years) a general rule of thumb was to avoid France during half term? Is it just an over exaggeration?

@nem, thats gold dust information, thanks! I'm finding it very hard to distinguish the actual difficulty of slopes, one persons 'beginner' slope is another's 'difficult'. I'm scarred by my first ski trip to St. Anton, my mates all said it's be fine but their blue's definately felt more like reds and in general I found the resort really difficult as a lower intermediate

@snowymum - do you not find the french resorts too busy during half term, then?[/b][/quote]
snow conditions
I have one week's experience of Espace Killy, but... my wife is a doubtful intermediate far happier on greens than blues. We were in Val Claret last New Year - peak time, with not a lot available elsewhere that early in the season - and it was great. The big lift from resort (5-10 minutes walk from apartment) up to Col de Fresse was immediate access to a big area of long greens with two or three lifts serving them. Queues could sometimes be as long as five to ten minutes, but we've been at Glenshee waiting 30-45 minutes in a queue so that was not a problem - and the length of the runs meant she spent far more time on the run than waiting for the lifts. Opportunities for 'moving on' as confidence increased are huge - eventually they came over to the Le Lac side for the blues there.
Meanwhile I cruised around the wider spaces, meeting up easily for lunch as the area is central to Espace Killy.
latest report
@Biblu, Just to clarify it is about 20 years since I last skied in France at half term and that was pre kids when I just chose those dates to ski on my birthday!

That is why I was suggesting going at Easter as we have skied many times at Easter as a family and it has lots of advantages over half term - eg. easier journey, uncrowded pistes, luxury self catering accommodation with pools for the price of basic at half term, possibility of skiing on arrival and departure days due to not being tied to a basic week mid term, chance of using the Easter bank hols etc.

If you definitely want to go at half term I was trying to think of places that might be reasonable options in France.

I mentioned La rosiere as we once went there in the next busiest week New Year and did not find it too busy, particularly on the Italian side which was empty.
I mentioned les arcs because it is a resort I know well and friends went there at Easter two years ago and at half term this year and said that they enjoyed it at half term as the queues weren't bad and the snow was better.
I mentioned Val Cenis as it is a bit off the beaten track and likely to be less busy..I can not be sure for half term though as we went there at Easter and found parts of it quiet then.
snow conditions
@snowymum, the Italian side of La Rosiere? That'll be La Thuile, then Very Happy
ski holidays
Biblu wrote:
but I'd thought (as a very inexperienced skier of 3 years) a general rule of thumb was to avoid France during half term? Is it just an over exaggeration?

TBH I think that really depends on your expectations. I have never been at half term because the lure of Christmas and "Easter" is too great and half term isn't easy to get for the wife and because it's pricey, busy, etc... BUT I do read with interest people's experience on here.. AND I get the impression it's not actually too bad - provided you understand there may be some holds and you are quite smart about the lifts and pistes you use. One advantage of HT is because it's the middle of the season the whole resort should be open which is perhaps even though there are more people it doesn't feel too stacked. ADH would be a great resort for you I think. I've been there a number of times.
latest report
Also don't forget Paris isn't on holiday that week this year. I think the northern alps may be quieter, check out peisey vallandry although there isn't anything else to do there.
We have been in half term for the last 5 years, always somewhere different, and Layne is right, you have to be smart and travel on fridays and Sundays, get up early etc. And it's fine.
For what its worth Corvara/dolomites has been my favourite so far. We are off to Monetier, serre chevalier this year. Flying to turin on the sunday. I'll report back as to busyness!
ski holidays
Although I've promised myself I'll never go back to France again, I'll have to +1 for Les Arcs/La Plagne. Apres Ski, etc is plain awful, but the amount of varied terrain for most levels of skier is awesome. Your other half would just love all the tree lined green/blue goat tracks dotted around.

Regarding Sauze D'Oulx, I loved the place (especially the Apres Ski), but the infrastructure is archaic and lifts extremely slow. I would recommend the Hotel Splendid if you end up there - never had such great service (and the waitresses are to die for Happy.

Rob.
ski holidays
@Biblu from what ive read on here st Anton is quite tricky. I dont think you need let that worry you, most other resorts have plenty of easier terrain.
I sympathise! I've been scarred as a teenager by being taken down runs that were too difficult by my best friends gung-ho dad.
ski holidays
Looking at piste maps for Sauze d'oulx I can see what you mean from that view @Biblu, but it is honestly one of the mildest places you can visit, I feel.
Piste marking in Italy is a bit like Italian supercars, they'll all do 200 Mph sir Madeye-Smiley with the reds marked there barely able to scrape a french blue in many cases.
The blues are marked as 13 and 30 on the map and gently meander down through the principal area.

Last time we visited we had two completely new to skiing and no difficulty. I understand your view regarding partner though, it's not a nice experience two be subjected to something that ultimately scares you, and may put you off completely. I'd be confident of taking anyone there though.

http://sauzedoulx.net/winter/winter-events/ gives dates for upcoming schedule which doesn't indicated any planned overall restrictions.

Val Cenis is probably more Dutch than British orientated, so if there is a difference in national holiday focus it may be tenable.
VC has lower slope next to village with both chairs and drag lift available to the very inexperienced, plus one of the longest widest green piste in existence that comes down from mid station.
snow conditions
What about Ortisei? We considered it for this season but decided on Selva b/c we wanted more of a challenge -- I'm thinking specifically of the Alpe di Suisi, which looks to be all blue with a few gentle reds. Seems like a good place to make progress and it's a real town, so you have other activities (and other towns in the valley).

We also looked at San Cassiano, very closely, but rejected it for the same reason -- but it looks like a nice quiet village.

I'd say Saisies meets your criteria, except it's an intensely family focused resort, which means very little aprés. And the runs on Bisanne, while perfect for learners, suffer from horrible lift lines at peak times, even with the new detachable.

I wouldn't rule out France -- as others have said, the big half-term weeks are the 17th and 24th.
snow report
After skiing Pila for one day, I agree with taking a beginner there, it can work for mixed ability groups due to some good runs for more advanced skiers too and the opportunity for ski away days to Cervinia, Courmayeur and La Thuile.

I don't know much about Alpbach but it is part of the Ski Juwel area with Niederau, which is a known nice area for beginners/early intermediates and being a lovely valley for sightseeing too.
latest report
I couldn’t recommend Alpbach enough. I’m new to skiing, went on my first trip in Jan 2016 - blue runs were perfect to learn on and within 2 days I was trying the red routes out. Been back twice since and now going in Feb 2018. Fantastic scenery on the Wiedersbergerhorn side and gorgeous lanes surrounded by trees that lead you down from piste to piste. On the other side of Inner Alpbach, the Wildschönau side, the pistes are much wider and also beginner friendly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wengen.
Klosters.
Hinterglemm (Saalbach).
Chatel.
snow report
The problem with Austria might be finding good accommodation in any decent resort at this late stage, especially during Fasching week.
latest report
Thanks for all the great info people Very Happy

After suffering brain overload at all the information yesterday I talked it though with the other half and we decided to narrow it down to Italy based on
- Quieter pistes being the most important: France at half term seems to be a personal opinion whether its really that busy but either way it seems Italy will still be quieter respectively.
- Cost: I understand Italy to be cheaper
- From reading peoples opinions and taking a look at youtube I think I was wrong to worry about the blues in Italy. The seem a French green equivalent and I guess thats why theres hardly any greens on Italian piste maps
- looking at flights we'll probably only be there 3/4 days so other stuff for days/afternoons rest became less important
- We've never been to Italy and quite fancy it

So I settled on costing San Cassino + Passo Tonale and letting costs decide...but couldn't find hotels for either! Sad

Is there some secret ski hotel website, I only looked on trivago and booking.com.

So I'm now swaying to Pila because Aosta has plenty of hotels at reasonable prices - limited blues but La Thuile isn't too far away if neccessary.
latest report
@Biblu, I wouldn't get too hung up on blues versus reds. Some reds are actually easier than blues due to them being skied less. I'd suggest your wife having some lessons early in the week, as the instructor will then be able to show her the best places to go. It will also help her progress faster. On that basis, making sure the resorth has a good ski school with English speaking instructors is helpful. Pila definitely fits that criteria.
ski holidays
@Biblu, be aware that w/c 10 Feb includes Mardis Gras / Carnival / Fasching and is reported to be the busiest week in Pila - although I have no personal experience at this time.

I'd point you towards Albiez-Montrond in the Maurienne valley in France. It is an ideal beginners resort that doesn't attract the crowds. Most of the accommodation is ski-to-door and anything else is just a short walk. Okay, it doesn't have miles and miles of piste but that's not what you need - in fact, it's an advantage as it doesn't attract those that want to huhne around.

This is half-term a few years ago:

Linky:
http://albiez.fr/

Lots of info on many French resorts:
http://www.maurienne.fr/pdf/saison/1408621620_GuideNeige_2014bat.pdf
latest report
We've done 4 half terms in France in the Maurienne Valley and never found it too busy. 2 times in Les Sybelles with 2 complete beginners and one very nervous intermediate and twice in Valloire - my favourite. Nice town easy pretty long runs and it feels like you can get some touring done to linked areas. No too expensive on or off the mountain either.
snow report
altis wrote:
@Biblu, be aware that w/c 10 Feb includes Mardis Gras / Carnival / Fasching and is reported to be the busiest week in Pila - although I have no personal experience at this time.

Ah, that's thrown a spanner into the works.

Are these Italian wide holidays and therefore likely to make the other Italian resorts busier too?

Are they a week long affair or just one day?
snow report
Take a look at Corvara in The Dolomites if you want long cruising confidence building runs and lots of places to stay, it is also OK during half term from a queue perspective. The other place to consider is Valmorel in France. A decent town, lots of wide pistes and it doesn't get too busy at holiday times.
snow conditions
Take a look at Corvara in The Dolomites if you want long cruising confidence building runs and lots of places to stay, it is also OK during half term from a queue perspective. The other place to consider is Valmorel in France. A decent town, lots of wide pistes and it doesn't get too busy at holiday times.
ski holidays
I like the look of Corvara and San Cassino but couldn't find hotels in the area*

*only looked on trivago/booking.com

Might just have to accept the fact it's late in the day and book somewhere a little further out of resort and bus/drive to the lifts in the mornings.
snow report
It's worth looking on the resort websites, as there are often links to booking accommodation that aren't on booking.com etc.
One other resort I thought of is Pinzolo, which is linked to Madonna di Campiglio. Not that well known so you may have more luck finding a nice hotel there - there seem to be some options on booking.com. My recollection of my day skiing there is cruisy pistes and spectacular scenery. There's plenty of easy skiing in Madonna - someone here will know how easy that is to access from Pinzolo. If you're interested, put up a post for more information on Madonna and Pinzolo as there's people on here know them well.
You haven't said if your wife will be having lessons. If she is (which is likely to be beneficial, even if it's just a couple of private lessons) that should open up more options, as an instructor will both improve her skiing and give her to suitable runs.
snow report
@sugarmoma666 that's a great suggestion - looks like a couple of good options for hotels in Pinzolo.

You reminded me of somewhere I'd read about (and subsequently forgotten) previously, or someone suggested, Folgarida. Although it doesn't look it from the piste map I read the area at Malghet Aut is a good beginner area.

I also thought that worst comes to worst it's only an hour away from Passo.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy