Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving - Hips forward

Poster: A snowHead
When i'm skiing in the position that feels most natural to me (the wrong one) i'm bent at the knees and get on the edges by rolling the knees to the right or left.

My instructor tells me 2 things, upper body should be more forward (leaning) and get the hips forward. For a while, I was struggling with how I can lean the upper body over and also get my hips forward.

On my last few runs, I think it was clearer, with my upper body leaned over and my hips forward, i'm forced to extend my outside leg during the turn (rather than never really needing to do this when skiing in the position I naturally take).

Does this sound right, if i'm in the correct position I will need to extend the leg of the outside ski?

Hope this makes sense Smile When i'm asked to correct something, I always try do it but it can feel awkward, i'm never sure i'm not messing up my technique in another area and I can't keep recreating it unless I get what i'm trying to do right in my head
ski holidays
 fizzer
fizzer
Cue 15000+ posters to the forum
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you don't understand something that your instructor says, ask them to explain it. A lot of short phrases that we use with clients are relative to what we see them doing at that time, not absolute statements.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@colly10, It’s all in the ankle bend wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
- I think it's unhelpful to think of flexing from the knees...it's better to flex from the ankles, with knees and upper body matching that angle, to keep you in balance over the skis.

- Your back should be rounded....not hollowed with your bum sticking out.

- On GS type turns, your weight (hips) should, as you get more advanced, move forward of (and across) your feet as you launch into the turn, but your feet should then ride through during the turn, leaving you back over the middle of the skis.

- Check out Darren Turner Videos, who shows the progression from a simple "Roll your Knees" turn, to carving at speed, which requires a "stacked", dynamic position.

- To control speed, you either have to introduce some skid, or hold onto your turn longer, if carving.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Your back should be rounded....not hollowed with your bum sticking out.

Or in other words, shag not sh it wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Your back should be rounded....not hollowed with your bum sticking out.

Or in other words, shag not sh it wink

'zackly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colly10 wrote:
On my last few runs, I think it was clearer, with my upper body leaned over and my hips forward, i'm forced to extend my outside leg during the turn (rather than never really needing to do this when skiing in the position I naturally take).

Does this sound right, if i'm in the correct position I will need to extend the leg of the outside ski?
It's exactly what you should be doing. Long leg/short leg is one of the mantras of learning to carve. You should also have at least 80% of your pressure/weight on that extended leg.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
If you don't understand something that your instructor says, ask them to explain it. A lot of short phrases that we use with clients are relative to what we see them doing at that time, not absolute statements.

I do but alot of the time I struggle a bit to articulate what's in my head. But I do stand and say is this the position I should be in, they'll correct it and i'll give it a shot on the next run but if my balance doesn't feel right on the next run I know that i'm doing something wrong. Your position is dynamic so when i'm told to be in a certain position sometimes it's hard to know at what point or how it all fits together with the rest of what i'm doing.
I kind of nearly need to keep trying to do what's being said till it feels right and natural

Raceplate wrote:
It's exactly what you should be doing. Long leg/short leg is one of the mantras of learning to carve. You should also have at least 80% of your pressure/weight on that extended leg.

Thanks, long leg/short leg being a mantra clears up alot. I know now that what I ended up doing on the last 2 or 3 runs is the way to go (sometimes I worry when I practicing something that i'll train myself to do wrong technique and will be stuck with something worse than what comes natural Smile )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
colly10 wrote:

Thanks, long leg/short leg being a mantra clears up alot. I know now that what I ended up doing on the last 2 or 3 runs is the way to go (sometimes I worry when I practicing something that i'll train myself to do wrong technique and will be stuck with something worse than comes natural Smile )

As I understand it, the Long Leg/Short Leg should be achieved by shortening the uphill leg "Vertically", not "Laterally". By that I mean, lifting/tucking the U/Hill leg up under your hip (which increases the edge angle on the D/Hill ski); rather than just widening your stance, which just makes you look stupid. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@colly10, I think it is more helpful to think (and talk about) the movements we make rather than the positions we need to adopt. The danger with thinking about position is that we can get too static, rather than being a dynamic skier naturally creating and responding to the forces that are created as we steer the skis around the turn.

You are right to describe the movement you need to make as extending the outside leg as you start the turn, which in a carved turn needs to be as much of a lateral move as you are able to manage while staying in balance, which will (a) help you balance more effectively on the outside ski, and (b) start to tip your skis on to a bigger edge angle. This movement will also help your hips move forwards so that you are better balanced with your hips aligned with your feet, rather than a bit behind your feet (which I think is what your instructor was trying to fix).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Knda hard to understand what you are talkng about without seeing it ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Your hips may be tilted to start with (anterior pelvic tilt) so the correct stacked position doesn't feel natural - for more info see the hamstring thread.

http://youtube.com/v/K-CrEi0ymMg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A couple of things that might help, they help me.
Think about the position of your hands and arms, along with the round back mentioned above, think round shoulders, round arms and hands up and front where you can see them. This will help keep your weight more forward, I occasionally clap my hands to remind me to keep them forward.

Focusing on extending the outside leg is about putting pressure on the ski, but you need to be careful, extend it to far and you’ll end up with a straight leg which is not good. The start position is a bit like a goal keeper, low and with both legs bent, plus arms and hands as above. You put pressure on the Ski by extending the leg, it’s also possible to do the same by shortening the other leg, or a combination of the two play around with this somewhere safe and see what happens. A modern shapely ski will respond quickly to being tipped over and the more you tip it the tighter the turn.

You’re doing the right thing by getting tuition, but don’t over think it, skiing is physical you learn from doing, the instructor can help you lock in the good moves and call out the duff one, but don’t over analyse things, kids learn really quickly usually quicker than adults but not by thinking about the technicalities but just getting stuck in. Have fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing for me to add on the technical side, i'm only a middling intermediate myself. Just wanted to say how much i enjoy these "bend ze knees" threads where all you expert guys impart your wisdom to those of us that are in desperate need of it.

just saying thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
Nothing for me to add on the technical side, i'm only a middling intermediate myself. Just wanted to say how much i enjoy these "bend ze knees" threads where all you expert guys impart your wisdom to those of us that are in desperate need of it.

just saying thanks Very Happy

Talking like an expert is much easier than skiing like one....I'm better at the former. I'm not a Pro, so there is a (small?) chance I could be wrong. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my advice "only read and take note of what rob@rar has to say" he's proven and qualified to give you the correct info
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, wise words my friend, wise words
ski holidays
What you trying to say I’m one of the best skiers on the whole internet.
snow report
jbob wrote:
What you trying to say I’m one of the best skiers on the whole internet.

Is your name Rob?

This "Bend ze Knees" section should be renamed "Ask Rob" because he is the only qualified ski instructor or good skier on the internet so only Rob can help. It's a well know secret that Rob taught Chuck Norris how to ski.

In 1992, a ski instructing unit was sent home (without any supper) for an Apres Ski fashion faux paus that they didn't commit. These people promptly escaped from a paper bag to a secret location (not far from Hemel Hempstead). Today, still wanted by the the Apres Ski Fashion Police, they survive as Ski instructors of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... if other people on the internet are just talking ski instruction ballcocks ..... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The Inside out Team.

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/index.html

wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 25-11-17 18:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DB, I await with bated breath IOS' thanks for this amazing accolade. Once they've worked out that that's what is. Laughing Mind you, they themselves take some working out sometimes - at least two of their instructors have the weirdest accents. wink
snow report
@Hurtle,
Just because they don't talk proper (what like I can) don't mean dat they they don't ski and teach good enough to justify their ski instruction lives on the slopes / chillin' in the hot tubs. The only other options are afterall asking for ski instruction advice on here or on Mumsnet.
latest report
DB wrote:
It's a well know secret that Rob taught Chuck Norris how to ski.
No, it wasn't Chuck, it was his brother Boris.
snow report
Laughing Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
DB wrote:
It's a well know secret that Rob taught Chuck Norris how to ski.
No, it wasn't Chuck, it was his brother Boris.

Boris Norris, what a great name.

PS There sems to something wrong with the formatting on your Inside Out ski page.

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/about.html

First of all some scott bloke is first on the list instead of you and then right after your name there's a female instructor who is not only far better looking but also appears to have more and higher qualifications than you (must be a misprint). Probaly best to shift her to the bottom of the page with the other levels 4's another one of which also has a goofy pic of himself standing on one ski, is this a prerequisite for Level 4 I wonder?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 25-11-17 19:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@DB, Laughing Very Happy
Seriously, Scott needs to get a licence for the A-team theme music and put an advert together. They could put a collage of before n after vids of their ‘favourite ‘ clients (you know who you are Toofy Grin )
snow report
DB wrote:
.. there's a female instructor who is not only far better looking but also appears to have more and higher qualifications...

Can she turn an old, washed-up desk jockey with minimal talent into a ligety-style GS racer?
Asking for a friend Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I’m having trouble with one legged pivot slips, switch, I’m ok on my right leg but have to poke myself round on my left, can she help me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ALQ & @jbob,

I bet she can, get in the queue.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy