Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

After Something Similar to Salomon Q-98's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I was looking at the Q-98 Salomon's. But 180cm I feel is too short, annoyingly the 188cm is too tall I think. I'm an all-mountains skiier, little bit of everything, just under 5ft 11. Very competent.

I'm doing a season this year so I want to make sure I get it right. Would I be better off buying out in La tania?

Thanks
Alex
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean the QST99?

If so absolutely get the 188. They're super turn and playful and not a handful at all (I'm 5 foot 9/~70kg).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/Salomon-Q-98-Skis-Review talking about these.

Yeah I'm 5ft 11, 70kg.

Just watching some reviews of the QST'S they look good!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm ok, I *think* they're the same skis, but the model you link to is from 2013. Have you found a pair in shop to double check?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A good ski shop should let you try skis out - if you don't buy you pay the rental, if you do buy then you just pay for the new skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are in a ski shop near me on sale, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are an older model. I'm just thinking if 188cm is too tall or 180cm is too short.
I mean these are my first skis to buy but I'm kind of on a budget £400-£500.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I was being the QST99, which is either the same or has evolved from the Q98, I would definitely get the 188 - they're very easy to ski and throw around, and that felt spot on to me. Hard to say without knowing how/how well you ski though!

How much is your shop charging? You can easily get the new ones, or last season's with bindings, for your budget.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski pretty well, got very comfortable in deep powder last year.

The shop are charging 280£, 380£ with bindings. They look like the exact kind of thing I'm after. Just the size issue..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LaTaniaLoon, that's expensive - you can get the brand new 17/18 version for that with bindings (https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/marker-squire-11-id-17-18-rot-ab-30kg::99092_1_412.html for example).

I can only give you my thoughts on size: having skied last season's version 188 IS the right size for me in that ski, and I'd say for any good skier over ~60kg. But good is relative.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LaTaniaLoon, I'd have thought that if 180 is too small, then you're looking for something about 185ish? In which case 188 is only 3cm bigger. You'd need to be pretty expert to notice a difference of 3 or 4 cm in a pair of skis.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A good comparison of Q Series and QST here:
http://desertsnowjunkies.com/salomon-q-series-review/

Noted that bindings on Q98 should be 1cm aft of factory line. Just about to transfer bindings to a pair.
Wondered if there were any other thoughts on this??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy