Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unexpected trip via Innsbruck .Wjere should we go?

Poster: A snowHead
My son was home visiting from Uni and the wife suggested we go skiing/ boarding in early Jan before he goes back to uni( this was a surprise as we already have two trips booked) and I am not one to turn a suggestion like that down.So I managed to get return flights to Innsbruck on miles from 6 th to 13 th Jan.I have skied a bit in Austria but always from Salzburg or Munich.Have been to Ski circus,Maria Alm,Seefeld,Garmisch,Ischgl and Schladming and would appreciate any suggestions particularly accomodation . As this is just me and my son we are not worried about spas etc but would like a hotel with decent food and a bar.I ski and he boards and we can get down pretty much anything.Oh and we get into innsbruck at 6pm so somewhere within an hour and a half would be good as I guess it will be 7 ish before we clear the Irport.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gotta be the Arlberg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed. Lech or St.Anton.
1.15 hrs from Innsbruck by private transfer. Or by train (St.Anton)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obergurgl - 1.5 hours - opens tomorrow and is great. Try the Nederhutte for apres ski!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on your time and ability level, but why not simply head up to Kuhtai. Less than 30 mins to the resort, 2000m so good height. Might not be enough if you are more advanced skiers, although if the snow's good there's plenty of touring and off piste.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would throw Serfaus into the mix.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Obergurgl - 1.5 hours - opens tomorrow and is great. Try the Nederhutte for apres ski!

Careful, we don't want too many people going there... part of the reason I love Obergurgl is the absence of queues! That and the snow sureness. And the friendly locals. And the Nederhutte. And the absence of yobs.

Hotels with a good bar? Try the Jenewein.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would stay in Innsbruck (hotels only 15mins from airport) and avail myself of the free ski bus hat takes you to the local ski resorts. These include Stubai Glacier (my favourite when weather is good) and Schlick 2000. Others include Axmer Lizzum and Khutai where they filmed the Jump.

We have done a long weekend for the last 6 years, always going out for the last weekend in January. Generally weather has been good. Depending on the forecast we changed our destination o the day, e.g. stayed low and went to Schlick or went high to Stubai.

Until now we have stayed at the Hilton as we could get this for £50 pp including breakfast. Real advantage is ski busses left from nearby. Unfortunately last season they overbooked and even though we booked 10 months ahead, they bumped us to other local hotels. Embarassed

As this year we already have 2 trips planned elsewhere, so we have decided to take a year out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl well worth it. Snowsure - no queues and lovely. You'll ski it out in a few days but it's still great and yep the Nederhutte was hilarious...!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serfaus or St Anton good options, problem with Serfaus is transfer at that time of day, okay if you've got a car, only an hour away. St. Anton better, train or TO bus options.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen, Ischgl, St Anton, Serfaus. Hard call. Jealous.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I really fancy St Anton as never been before but it's also really expensive for hotels as is Ischgl.
For a week at a decent 4 star b&b in St Anton I'm looking at £1700 upwards whereas Solden and Mayrhofen starts at around £12/1300 for half board.a little more expensive for obergurgl.As it's probably the quietest week of the season is it worth hanging on for a deal.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For half board in Maryhofen check the Landenhof out, little bit cheaper, great food.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
try a three star pension great food and cheaper you rarely use all facilities in a four star hotel.
snow report
Definitely eat out in St Anton, I recommend the tapas place, the thai place where the old lady mkes you share tables, and the old museum for a proper dinner Happy I think there's a decent hotel called the motropole or some such ? We stayed at the Schwartzer Adler and it was nice but overpriced
snow report
@Angus og,

Out of St Anton town is cheaper (e.g. Pettneu, Flirsch) and I doubt it takes much longer to get to the centre as the buses only have a few stops on the main road as opposed to stopping every 50 metres as they fight through the village. You just have to be sure of the times getting a bus back at night or get a taxi.

If Stanton really knows his stuff he should be able to help ....
snow conditions
Maybe this helps .....

https://www.booking.com/guest-house/city/at/pettneu.en-gb.html?aid=318615;label=New_German_DE_AT_20153736145-2lcCJDzhFJ5qbxGWpXL4WwS217287364528%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=88f27742624eaf9ce0902c1dcd9a61ea;lang=en-gb;soz=1;lang_click=top;cdl=de

Accommodation Prices for 2 adults - 6 to 13 Jan (make sure the bus stop is not too far away)

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=304142&label=gen173bo-1DCAQoggJCDWNpdHlfLTE5ODc3NjFICVgDaA6IAQGYAS7CAQp3aW5kb3dzIDEwyAEU2AED6AEB-AEDkgIBeZgCAqgCAw&sid=88f27742624eaf9ce0902c1dcd9a61ea&checkin_month=1&checkin_monthday=6&checkin_year=2018&checkout_month=1&checkout_monthday=13&checkout_year=2018&city=-1987761&class_interval=1&from_sf=1&group_adults=2&group_children=0&label_click=undef&no_rooms=1&room1=A%2CA&sb_price_type=total&src_elem=sb&ssb=empty&order=price

https://www.google.at/maps/place/6574+Pettneu+am+Arlberg/@47.1480906,10.3324539,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x479cb9f7e49ce1a7:0x684e62a1dc4c3d0!8m2!3d47.1481498!4d10.3411872

Bus schedule (last bus looks to be 18:00)
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/1442/download/7Vollbetrieb_1612_0804.pdf?v=1&inline=1

Taxi costs look to be €30 one way
http://www.taxi-stanton.com/taxi-st-anton-pettneu-2.html
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have been waiting in the hope that available hotels would come down in price and noticed today on booking.com that many hotels have reduced their rates for that week ,hence booked a hotel in St Anton for a good few hundred pounds less than the same place was advertising last week.
Looking forward to it now just hope my legs can cope with all the steep pistes.As we get into Innsbruck at 6 ish in the evening there are still a number of trains we can catch to St Anton.We weren't going to make the last train to Mayrhofen and this way don't need to pay for an expensive transfer.
latest report
@Angus og, Good call
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy