Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead, Spring & Summer 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday was my first time on skis in about a month after tweaking knee and ankle ligaments during the winter. Such is the level of my excitement to be skiing again I thought I'd do a snow report from The Snow Centre at Hemel Hempstead Happy

You definitely know that winter is over as the slope was very quiet, with just a trainee snowboard instructor course, a handful of the regulars, the clinic I was running, and as the morning went on a few recreational skiers including a couple of kids who I'm sure were bunking off school! As a result there were zero lift queues and the snow stayed in excellent condition until 2pm when I finished. There were a couple of small freestyle features on the slope ready for the Thursday evening freestyle sessions, but they took hardly any space to the main slope was in great shape and perfect for training on. The snow stayed firm and grippy all morning, although the soft fresh snow that was made overnight caught a couple of people out first thing resulting in a couple f comedy falls!

Welcome back to summer at Hemel Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-04-17 16:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm there tomorrow for a flatland day. Hopefully it will be just as quiet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And I've just booked two IOS clinics. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
And I've just booked two IOS clinics. Very Happy

If you want to use the opportunity for dinner at mine, let me know...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sssh, don't tell everyone Rob, they'll all turn up and spoil it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monthly tickets are available online with discount.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really quiet at the Centre today and the snow was in good nick so we were able to get a bit creative during a clinic Toofy Grin

https://vimeo.com/215331563
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, I KNEW it was going to be that one! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The guy in back is only been skiing a few weeks and did quite well. First attempt wasn't so succesfull Skullie Skullie A few familiar faces in the dome today and the snow was loose on top but a good firm base that didn't break up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saw some kids doing this in Val D last week, only pulling 360's all the time down the OK run prior to timed GS runs down there, very impressive exercise.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@endoman, we call those "hurricanes", don't usually do those with adults but the kids love em. sometimes will get 3 or 4 in a ring and it always ends up with funny crashes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The snow at hemel isn't quite as smooth as that by 8pm on a Sunday! Lots of bumps and hard scoured bits when i was there earlier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Maireadoconnor, I filmed that about 3 pm on the bank holiday weekend. Snow held quite well but cant say I have ever been there at 8PM on a Sunday, thats dedication !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Maireadoconnor, I didn't think it was that bad my L3s coped ok Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimottaret, internet fame at last Smile
snow report
@Little Martin, I imagine it was character forming for them! Good work getting your L3s onto the main slope; I had a full roster of ten L1s so I didn't cover quite so much ground.

@skimottaret, I was being paid to be there Smile 8pm felt easier than the usual 10pm during the winter
snow report
I'm under strict instructions to get some skiing in over the next few months seeing as the last couple of seasons have been a bit quiet for me (family, friends and work having conspired to keep me from the slopes). As Arnie once said, "I'll be back".
snow report
Second day back on skis yesterday, ankle still too sore but getting better. Nice to see a bunch of snowHeads having some fun and getting some practice in. It was a bit busier than the midweek day I skied last week, but never any lift queues and fairly quiet on the main slope. Frustratingly there was a freestyle course running so from late morning they put out a few freestyle features which narrowed the slope a little, but generally the snow stayed in good shape until mid-afternoon.

snow conditions
Great conditions today, best of "the season" so far wink Very quiet, especially in the afternoon when there seemed to be fewer than a dozen people on the main slope. Snow stayed in great shape, perfect for training on. Happy days!
snow report
incase anyone finds this useful:

Sunday this weekend will have private freestyle park on the roller and maybe some boxes/rails near the bottom of the left hand lift. I got a feeling there is something going on in the afternoon on Saturday as well.
latest report
Quiet for a Saturday, no lift queues, snow in great shape, not many on the main slope. Great day for a little bit of ski training Happy

ski holidays
Monday was very very quiet with no more than 10-20 on the slope at any time. Snow was fresh and very sticky in the morning so be careful on the first run !
ski holidays
@skimottaret, good save, if not a perfect demo! wink
ski holidays
@Hurtle, I put it down to new skis, bad wax and not having skied for 6 weeks !! Didn't fall over at least Wink
ski holidays
@Hurtle, @skimottaret, Laughing
snow report
I've just spotted how cheap the family summer passes are - £149 for a family of 4. I think that's August sorted out for the kids. Anyone else getting an August pass?
snow conditions
@snowdave, it's worth checking out the membership too. It gives 30% off lift passes (including monthly) and 10% off in the cafe. It's pretty easy to recoup the initial cost over a few months if you take the summer passes and go once or twice a month otherwise.
Also, worth knowing there is a discount for the membership for Super-snowheads, which makes that worth doing first.
latest report
@Tubaski, thanks, I'll look into that, tho' August will probably be our only trips there (we're mainly on the fantastic plastic at brentwood).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The monthly used to take 30% off the total if one you had membership but now it takes off an amount for the member only. Still worth it though for the member tho.

Having said that count me in for July and August and September and October Smile
ski holidays
Super quiet today on the slopes with an IASI level 1 course going on and pretty empty other than that. snow was in great nick with a firm base... Lots of familiar faces and a few SH's taking advantage of the conditions Smile
snow conditions
Sunday snow report, apparently it was awesome according to the 3 year old who was ripping it up today

https://vimeo.com/223051367
ski holidays
That guy looks familiar Very Happy
snow conditions
@little Martin , they let anybody work there Wink
snow conditions
Finally took advantage of the "£50 off first group clinic" offer, and booked up for the carving session in July... Really looking forward to it! Very Happy
snow report
Anyone know if there are any lift pass deals knocking around? Quite fancy a session this weekend (approaching 3 month blues) but resent paying rack rate.
snow report
The monthly pass is good value - if you can get a few sessions out of it. I know there were deals on lessons on groupon, so might be worth checking if any lift passes on there too...
latest report
Two instructors based in France working today at Hemel give their views on the snow conditions Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

https://vimeo.com/225676401
ski holidays
It was a really great session - I got a lot of out of the lesson, learning to trust my skis and my ability on some really variable terrain! I met some fellow Snowheads too snowHead , so that was a bonus!

I'm looking forward to downloading the video to review some of the things I did well, and what I need to work on. Very Happy
latest report
Myself and a few others (probably Pigeondave, Kamikaze Pete, Tubaski and anyone else I can drag along) are planning a trip to Mt Hemel this Saturday if anyone fancies a mini-snowheads group ski. As I'm driving up from Devon I've got the day pass to try and make the most of it and will likely be skiing from about 10 until some time in the afternoon when I get bored (plus obviously will have a few breaks).

Say hi if you're about, I'll be the chubby bloke with purple trousers, green coat and snowheads stickers on my skis.
ski holidays
May see you there, I have just got a monthly pass so will try and get my monies worth out of it Very Happy rolling eyes
I'm sure I met you at EOSB?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy