Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross country skis with metal edges

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to replace my worn out Salomon Snowscapes with something that has metal edges and is compatible with SNS bindings. Salomon used to do an Elite 8 with metal edges but I can't find a current equivalent. I want something waxless with a fishscale pattern for grip. Any help appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
unixnerd wrote:
I'm looking to replace my worn out Salomon Snowscapes with something that has metal edges and is compatible with SNS bindings. Salomon used to do an Elite 8 with metal edges but I can't find a current equivalent. I want something waxless with a fishscale pattern for grip. Any help appreciated.

You mean you want a nordic touring ski?

The trend is for them to have micro climbing skins rather than fish scales, maybe worth considering.

Telemark Pyrenees sell a good range and the owners come from this kind of background so could advise you

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/product-categories/nordic-touring-skis

somethings like the Fischer E99 might be suitable

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/ski/fischer-e99-tour-xtralite-ski-1516

although the trend has been wider and wider, over 100mm is not uncommon now but needs a beefy boot and binding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was under the impression a lot of touring / backcountry ski's can't use an SNS binding? I don't want to get new boots if I don't have to.

It's mainly for trail use, sometimes the trails are pisted but mostly they're not. Local trails have a lot of steep bits so I want something that can grip going up short hills without needing skins. Maybe 20% of the time I go higher and outside of trails across the hills (mostly northern corries of Cairngorm). I have no control turning or stopping with my current skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
unixnerd wrote:
I was under the impression a lot of touring / backcountry ski's can't use an SNS binding? I don't want to get new boots if I don't have to.

It's mainly for trail use, sometimes the trails are pisted but mostly they're not. Local trails have a lot of steep bits so I want something that can grip going up short hills without needing skins. Maybe 20% of the time I go higher and outside of trails across the hills (mostly northern corries of Cairngorm). I have no control turning or stopping with my current skis.

You can buy a narrow nordic touring ski and fit an SNS binding if you want. There is a specific SNS binding for touring but of course it is not compatible with cross country bindings. Anyway I understand your question a bit better now, how about this

http://www.ski-fond.com/skis-rando-nordique/1158-salomon-x-adv-escape-.html

they'll fit an SNS binding for you
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would think that the best bet is to look for a flat - bindingless nordic touring ski which has a metal edge then fit an SNS binding. Not sure the SNS binding design is beefy enough for the forces a metal edged ski can generate though unless you use SNS-X-adventure.

SNS Profil: One metal bar in the toe of the boot.
SNS Pilot: Two metal bars on the boot.
SNS X-Adventure: Stronger design used for back-country skiing (also referred to as SNS-BC)

http://crosscountryskis.co.uk/products-page-2/backcountry-skis/
are worth a look. The skis at the link look very nice and most meet your criteria for metal edge and waxless grip
In any case I think those chaps are worth a call.

Oops. It took me so long to write this little bit because of poor connectivity that @davidof got in first with pretty much the same response.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mcspreader wrote:

Oops. It took me so long to write this little bit because of poor connectivity that @davidof got in first with pretty much the same response.

I share your reservations about the SNS binding, I know people telemark turn on them but still. The touring boots are generally a bit heavier.

Hope this helps the OP a bit, I would do as MCSpreader says and talk to the shops.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also try:

http://braemarmountainsports.com/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here is a good selection of Nordic skis with metal edges https://www.alewalds.se/webshop/utrustning/turskidakning.html.

Obviously you won’t buy them from Sweden, but could be good for research (use chrome browser to translate websites to English) and then google and see where you can get them from.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SNS X-Adventure look just perfect, thanks guys Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy