Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Merino Baselayers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Before I head to Austria for the season I have decided I am going to purchase my first Merino baselayer.

I've had merino socks and jumpers in the past but for baselayers have always worn polyester ones or compression layers made by Canterbury/Underarmour.

I've had a look at Mons Royale, Icebreaker and cheaper offerings and would like to know is it worth paying the extra money for Mons Royale or Icebreaker?

Mons Royale look stylish and I'd be happier wearing one of their baselayers in the bar or in a restaurant but £70 for a baselayer feels like a lot of money.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the last few years, TK Maxx has stocked a brand called XTM, which was great value.

It's this crowd: http://www.xtm-shop.com/merino-thermals-c-38_30.html

Also check out Sport Persuit...who often have good deals on Merino stuff.

Another good brand is Smartwool.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, thanks, I'll have a look.

Don't know why I didn't think of Smartwool, the clue is in the name isn't it. I also have some Smartwool socks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lewisb22, Lidl have had merino base layers in the past at about £15 iirc.
Think that their ski wear arrives next Thursday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, Have a look at Isobaa on sportspursuit
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Aldi have cheap merino base layers but they are a bit itchy! Icebreaker are very good but pricey. Just ordered Icebreaker Oasis vest and leggings from Blacks which came to £86.40 when I applied my 20% Ski Club discount.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which ski club are you in @Eddy?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Isobaa ones are very warm...but personally I prefer synthetics for baselayers as merino doesn't seem as breathable and feels (very) slightly itchy (although that may all be in my head)!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Club of Great Britain
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love Mons Royale stuff but it is pretty pricey. If you look around there are always deals on though and don't mind paying £40 for a good bit of kit than you can mooch around the resort in also.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have Icebreaker stuff, which has gone through the washing machine hundreds of times; I wear it all year round, for walking as well as skiing. It appears to be astonishingly hard-wearing, so I don't mind paying a bit over the odds initially. I don't know about the longevity of the cheaper brands, maybe they're just as good?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use my cycling ones - Endura Baa Baa. They are without doubt the best baselayer I have ever had warm, non itchy and very durable. I have 2 long sleeves and one short for (scottish) summers !

I just take 2 along for a ski week and rotate them - as they are merino, they dont need washing.

I would say from experience that the cheap ones sometimes skimp on the quality and quantity of merino wool - caveat emptor and all that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lewisb22, We wear merino base layers always. My thoughts as follows:-

Icebreaker - used to wear them but overpriced and shrink in the wash. Mostly wear them now for mountainbiking because the size L and now M's. Frequently end up with holes in them, don't know why but can't be coincidence.

Ortovox - the best by far, great 3/4 leggings and layers of all types. Very warm, quality excellent. expensive but you get what you pay for, and it lasts unlike Icebreaker. Buy in the sales.

Janus - look at Sportpursuit, they sell this brand on there - we have plenty of their midlayers. Not as good as Ortovox, goes baggy with wear but washes well, goes back in shape and lasts years.

Devolo - excellent, good value and wash well.

Smartwool - only had their 3/4 leggings and a tee but wore baggy after a few days, not very warm compared with all the others, washed OK but were heavy in comparison to the others - sent them to the charity shop!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another area of research would be the cycling outlets. I've got all my base layers (upper body) from Planet X. They haven't got a lot in at the moment but when they do, it's absurdly cheap. Quality of their own brand stuff is usually good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, thanks. If and when my Icebreakers give out, I shall look further afield. Janus look well worth a try. (My Icebreakers have never shrunk, but I am careful about the temperature at which I wash them.)
snow report
The best base-layer I have is by a brand called "Frankly". It's some kind of merino mix and they just seemed to get it right. It resists developing odour like merino but it's much hardier so while all my other merino stuff wears out in a season or two, this one just keeps going.
I was given 2: one for myself to try and one to give away in the great Tombola la Bomobla of '14.

Even given my propensity to get given stuff, I'd be inclined to buy another of these. Unfortunately though the brand seems to have disappeared without trace Confused
latest report
I've got merino from a bunch of places. I wear a merino base layer most days for 5 months of the year when cycle commuting. Also wear them for skiing / hiking.

Mostly icebreaker but always in sales - I've not found that they shrink. Been very long lasting for me
Agree with @Penry, on planet x - VERY good value
Howies - good
Smartwool - OK but remember they are not 100% merino, I find they are less good from a non-stink point of view
XTM (TK Max) - good price and design but they are Australian Merino not NZ Merino and are significantly more scratchy/itchy. Good on warmth and "odour management" though
Sweet protection (sale) - very good quality, wouldn't pay full price
ski holidays
does it need to be merino?
Have you looked at burnt custard?
snow conditions
Icebreaker are top quality. you will pay for it, but I have several pairs of bottoms that have served me well for 5 seasons (approximately 20 wears per season) with no loss in elasticity or shape or insulating ability so far. Money well spent in my book.
snow report
I have several pieces of Ice Breaker kit .lasts for ages .Always wash it on a wool wash and never shrinks.always hang it to dry and never put on a radiator.common sense really.
snow conditions
Another Icebreaker user - not a problem with it. As Angus og, wash on wool, doesn't shrink or stink when wearing. Still going strong 9 - 10 years later, it was cheap then Smile

Easily washed in the shower if need be wink I believe there was directions on here at one time by someone.

Have bought some Isobaa from SP recently too - seems ok, and a great price, but bought for just general usage rather than ski baselayers.
@jedster, Some smartwool is 100% but the thinner weights tend to be mixed to give harder wearing now. Older stuff was 100% too - or so it says, obviously their socks aren't.
snow report
Quick review on a few brands:

XTM - avoid! Dire stuff - worked in retail with them - all their stuff falls apart, had so many returns. Cheap and nasty.
Mons Royale - looks really good, but not quite as happy with it on as other premium brands. Just felt a bit claggy and hung in the wrong places. Not had it long enough to comment on durability.
Devold (from sports pursuit - same as Markymark I'm guessing) - solid. Cheap and decent quality.
Icebreaker - I'm a fan.
Smartwool - I'm a fan of this too - my goto for socks especially.
Le Bent - OK, although not as hard wearing as others in my experience.
latest report
@jedster, Some smartwool is 100% but the thinner weights tend to be mixed to give harder wearing now. Older stuff was 100% too - or so it says, obviously their socks aren't.

Ah OK fair enough I see from their website that they have lots of different fabrics based around merino including pure merino.
I have some cycling jersies made from a smartwool fabric which is a blend and while I really like them they are not quite as anti-stink.
I wear smartwool phd light ski socks which I think are excellent - also a blend.
ski holidays
Thanks all for the comments, wasn't expecting this many!

I've been bought a Mons Royale baselayer as an early Christmas present and have also bought an Isobaa one from Sport Pursuit.
snow report
One thing I'm giving a try is sleepwear. David Mandy from M&S. No odour and wicks great. Use it in hot climates a lot.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
One thing I'm giving a try is sleepwear. David Mandy from M&S. No odour and wicks great. Use it in hot climates a lot.

Yeah, but what are the skiing conditions like...? wink Laughing
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Yeah, but what are the skiing conditions like...? wink Laughing

Not as much as the snow at your place Very Happy
ski holidays
jiagedaping wrote:
Quick review on a few brands:

XTM - avoid! Dire stuff - worked in retail with them - all their stuff falls apart, had so many returns. Cheap and nasty.

Agree with this. Bought one of these from TK Maxx last year and the arm fell off as I was trying it on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@slushy, Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
I have Icebreaker stuff, which has gone through the washing machine hundreds of times; I wear it all year round, for walking as well as skiing. It appears to be astonishingly hard-wearing, so I don't mind paying a bit over the odds initially. I don't know about the longevity of the cheaper brands, maybe they're just as good?

Me too, some are now at least 8 years old and don't have holes, although one has gone a funny colour from being in the wash with something else. The Embers stuff (they have now closed) was OK, although the midlayers were more scratchy. I had some trekmates, but they shrunk. No shrinkage from Icebreaker and I though worth the dosh. They do sometimes come up on Amazon and Sport Pursuit.
ski holidays
I have a few Icebreaker tea shirts and a thicker layer mid which I rarely use. Excellent kit for skiing, sailing and the occasional winter gym session. Expensive so I tend to get one from my Mum at Xmas. Have a couple of ice breaker pants too as built up a technical wardrobe for days when I go to gym after work and for long flights.

The Sports Pursuit tops are itchy. Tend to use over the top of an icebreaker long sleeve.

If you want a nice technical T-shirt in white I have a couple of Rohan polyester tops which go under shirts etc.

Not sure if this is my one:
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-tshirts-and-tops-Ultra-Silver-T-?ocode=03905901
snow report
@hawkesbaynz, I only buy Icebreaker from Sport Pursuit.
ski holidays
Just checked in the thermals drawer to see what is actually getting used rather than keeping the underbed storage warm. I found 3 x Icebreaker tops -one mid weight, one light and one t-shirt. 1 x Icebreaker long johns - i only wear for walking, not skiing. And a mid weight 100% Merino Crane base/mid top - iirc Crane is Aldi. I like this top as, while not as good material as Icebreaker, it is soft enough and has some really good features such as double material at the neck and a little flap of fabric over the zip pull to stop it irritating the skin when fully pulled up as well as thumb loops to stop it riding up. Last but not least it has a little zip pocket on the left arm. As my ski jacket has no sleeve pass pocket this is a huge bonus.
ski holidays
I recommend Isobaa. I got a couple of the women's long sleeved 180 crews - they're long (which I like), they don't itch and seem to wash well - and there's some on Sport Pursuit at the moment. I got a couple of Howies long sleeves in a sale last year and they've been good as well.
latest report
Icebreaker here. lasts forever, can wear it for ages without it smelling too offensive, and it's made from happy healthy sheep that live in nice scenic paddocks and are treated well by an ethical business that employs lots of us Kiwis Very Happy

Just got a new Mons Royale hat which is awesome
ski holidays
Quote:

happy healthy sheep that live in nice scenic paddocks and are treated well by an ethical business that employs lots of us Kiwis

Made in China.....are you sure the sheep are still grazing in NZ.....I sincerely hope so for their sakes rather than China, but the Company is not quite so sustainable as it used to be, huge ships travelling thousands of miles to china loaded with wool presumably, to the Chinese manufacturing plants rather than employing Kiwis to manufacture. Maybe thats why its expensive.
snow report
@Markymark29, isn't China on the way to the UK from N.Z. 😉
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy