Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden or tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
solden or tignes what this place is better????
what's the best rent apartment in solden booking? air bnb? any options???

in snow solden is similar a tignes???
the prices in solden is very expensive ???
accomodation?? food???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Different experiences but both are great!

Excellent skiing in each, though Tignes/Espace Killy is a lot bigger. Nevertheless, there's more than enough skiing to keep you busy in Solden for a week (as you can also ski at nearby Obergurgl).

Solden is far cheaper for food and drink. eg €9 for spaghetti bolognaise on the mountain in Tignes, versus €18 in Tignes. Beer is €8 (for half a litre) in Tignes and just about half that price in Solden. Après ski in Solden is anything you want it to be - everything from wild oompah music, singalongaeuropop, to quiet bars and lap dancing... It's a nice town, though a bit linear along a main road. It's one of my favourite Austrian resorts, particularly for its reliable snow and glaciers. There are lots of affordable eating out options there.

Tignes is purpose built and very practical and (more or less) ski in/out. And it's one of the best ski areas in the world. But then you pay for it.

Both are fantastic - so you should visit one this time and the other next time! Very Happy

You should find a decent choice of apartments in Solden at booking.com or hotels.com - or on the Solden website.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
€9 for spag bol on the mountain in Tignes, versus €18 in Tignes
So ski down to Tignes on a lunchtime and you get it half price Puzzled

PM me if any fancy for a Tignes apartment (2 mins from chair; 5 mins from funicular to glacier) with great Snowheads discount wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, can you send me some info on your a Tignes apartment.. planning ahead so starting to think about next season?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Solden has the benefit of a review by Savaloy Joy which Tignes does not:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1444119&highlight=soldin#1444119
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict,

You aren't really suggesting that Tignes restaurants charge the same price as Austria...are you? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know where you guys are eating spag bol for 18 Euro in Tignes, but I never got close to that last season. Steak and chips was about 15 euro max in the two up mountain restaurants I use in Val D, spag bol less and enough to feed 2 people. Tignes, never spent more than a tenner for lunch including a drink.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice restaurants in Tignes Val Claret at foot of slopes. Decent pizzas for about 12 euros certainly ly no dearer than pizza express.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bergmeister, I thought Soelden and the French resorts such as Tignes were not too disimilar in price for the same quality of food. In Soelden we tended to have a bowl of soup in a motor service area type of place but ate more lavishly inTignes.

The big difference I did notice between the resorts were:

beer: in France it was 25cl glasses in Soelden 33cl. For more or less the same price
Cigerette smoke in bars in Soelden made visiting them rather unpleasant hence saving on drinking expense
There was a marked shortage of lap dancing clubs in Tignes
The pistes in Soelden were all bashed smooth, even those marked as itineries
Lift queues were huge in Soelden - typically 30 minutes just to leave the village.
Looking in one of the ski shops in Soelden I saw a jacket at over a 1000 euros. Similarly with pairs of skis. Tignes lacks the bling. It is a down to earth ski resort

Both resorts have some pretty long descents but really they are such different resorts that I cannot envisage anyone seriously thinking should I go here or there? The differences are so stark.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy