Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot feels loose

Poster: A snowHead
So went on my first ever ski holiday last March, and absolutely loved everything about it, the mountain, veiw, people, everything apart from one of my feet just having a feeling of doing what it wanted and I had no control over it at times.

Changed the hire boots 3 times to no benifit.

Been thinking that I might give the dark art of boarding a go.

Not giving up on the winter sports as I had more fun and met so many nice people, and my little one absolutely smashed it

Any advice before I start booking the next adventure
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely try boarding.
Once you get past the pain, bruises and frustration of the first 3 days you progress quickly.
Try it at a fridge or dry slope first.
Even though the boots are comfy do not be tempted to crank them up too much across the top of the foot thinking that you'll get more control.
As your feet get warm you can get cramp in your arches, and then end up loosening them off again.
If you have 1 "weaker" foot do not automatically assume that it will be your front foot when boarding, although there's a good chance it will, as most right-footed people ride "regular" with their right (strong) foot at the back.
Most of all - enjoy yourself and be safe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Foot feels loose

Quote:

Changed the hire boots 3 times to no benefit.

The ski boot was probably too large. Until you know what you're doing a ski boot that feels right when you try it on is probably going to be too large.

Did you change for a smaller size? You can't just go for the equivalent show size you wear normally, it doesn't work like that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I changed boots 3 times.
Different styles and sizes and they all felt the same.
My right foot just felt like it wanted to do whatever it felt like doing.
The left one was spot on, as I'm right handed, footed and my left is usually the weaker of the 2 just seemed a bit odd.

Might see if I can get a lesson on a board in the snow dome or dry slope to see if I get on better.

Not giving up on the winter sports though
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You feel Footloose?

Just kick off your sunday shoes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If snowboarding is appealing to you, then definitely have a go, but do commit a good amount of time to learn with a proper instructor who has a passion for snowboarding - not just a ski instructor who's lost a bet and is taking out the beginner snowboarders! See if Jnr is up for taking on the challenge too!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As @Richard_Sideways, and @WindOfChange, have said, worth going toward it properly prepped to give a realistic view.

I've been long term skier and went for a week to learn on a board with a nephew. Both of us no experience, went to Cervinia with a week of lessons from ESI, great dedicated instructors, excellent week and came out of it able to competently get around. Really good foundation to get going.

That comment about three days could not be more true, seems really frustrating at first and many in our group didn't want to stick at it but it's like someone flicks a switch at that threshold. Your body seems to finally get it and takes on the cadence, interpretation and reaction needed to feel you can achieve it.

It's a very good feeling.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
think you need to work out what is causing you foot pain. You need to explain the issue to the hire place.
Always worth seeing a podiatrist here in the UK to see if you have any foot issues your not aware off.
We have a walk in clinic on the NHS.
I have high arches & wide feet. So chances of me finding comfy rental boots? well I bought my own & got some custom footbeds.

Cant say boarding will be any better.
You still need well fitted boots for boarding, otherwise your feet move in the boot, then your boot moves the snowboard.
i) this burns up a lot of your energy & will burn your muscles ii) you have less control of your board.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stewpot101, your issue sounds more like a technique problem than a boot issue. If you hadn't said "loose" in the title I think others might have said the same. So to clarify... Does your foot feel loose in the boot OR is the issue that your left ski isn't doing what you'd like/expect? If it's the latter you need more lessons and practice. It's not uncommon to have an issue with one foot more than the other especially at first. One of my measures of how tired I an is if my left turns have gone to pot wink

@Mr.Egg, haven't seen the OP mention pain unless I've missed that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@adithorp,
Quote:

is the issue that your left ski isn't doing what you'd like/expect?

Only if his left ski is on his right foot.

Quote:

The left one was spot on

Just while we're picking up on people misreading the OP's posts. Madeye-Smiley

(Although I have to admit I was wondering where pain came into it as well.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One of the benefits of having both feet "controlling" the same plank, is that when you start to tire, and your "weak" leg isn't doing exactly what you want it to, is that you can still get your board pointing the right way at the right speed by scooching your back (strong) foot around. ( Bad technique, but it can come to your aid).
With only one leg controlling a ski, when that leg mis-behaves, the ski is gonna go where it wants.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewpot101 wrote:
The left one was spot on, as I'm right handed, footed and my left is usually the weaker of the 2 just seemed a bit odd.
It's common for skiers to have a strong side and a weak side, and often their better turns will be on their non-dominant leg. I'm right-handed (right-legged?) but my turns on my left leg are a bit stronger than the other side. Your issue might have been equipment related (boot too big), physiology related (weak side) or technique related (not balancing effectively on your right ski) or a combination of the above. Whatever the cause, you're certainly not alone in having trouble turning in one direction compared to the other in your first week of skiing. Stick with skiing or give boarding a try, it doesn't really matter as they're both brilliant and addictive ways of sliding down the mountain.

stewpot101 wrote:
Not giving up on the winter sports though
Quite right!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do you have the same problem with your normal shoes i.e are your feet significantly different in size?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Do you play a lot of football? Cause you might do a fair amount of dynamic balancing (kicking!) on your left leg and be more comfortable on it (putting your weight over it) / favour that side, even when you think you are central or putting weight on the right - so, as above practice, should help ...but also balance exercises.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds technique based to me, after only a week of skiing I don't think it's uncommon to feel a bit of a passenger at times. More lessons would be my vote rather than rushing off to get ski boots fitted. You wouldn't want to spend £300 on ski boots and find out that you actually want to be a snowboarder instead. (You'll have to trust me on that as I'm someone who has own boots & 3 sets of skis but is thinking about learning to board.)

WindOfChange wrote:
One of the benefits of having both feet "controlling" the same plank, is that when you start to tire, and your "weak" leg isn't doing exactly what you want it to, is that you can still get your board pointing the right way at the right speed by scooching your back (strong) foot around. ( Bad technique, but it can come to your aid).

So 'boarding is more about control being on the front foot? Does that mean that being right footed and goofy is a benefit?
ski holidays
Quote:

your issue sounds more like a technique problem than a boot issue.

Agreed. Your opening post doesn't mention how many lessons you took, or how you got on. I am quite an experienced skier but I remember, just a few years ago, on the top section of a (not very difficult) black slope my feet just didn't feel right. Nothing was working. I was daft enough to stop and switch skis from one foot to another (the height of denial......).

I then gave myself a good talking to, reminded myself of what instructors have taught me for skiing sleep slopes (open the door, dive through it down the hill, don't drop your uphill hand etc etc etc) and carried on in reasonably competent form.
snow report
@olderscot, oops!

I don't back to his post while writing to see which one, saw left and didn't read the actual sentence rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

oops!

It happens to all of us sometimes and I'm as bad as everyone else. Smile

I have a lot of sympathy for @stewpot101, I had exactly the same problem a few years back while wearing hire boots. One of my skis just wouldn't do what my foot / leg was telling it to. Bought some proper fitting ski boots for the following year and the problem was gone. And I'd skied quite a bit by then already so pretty sure it wasn't caused by ski technique.
snow report
Sorry been realy busy lately so haven't managed to reply to all posts

No pain in the foot.

5 x 4 hour lessons split into 2 sessions with a 2 hour break in between

I felt it on the first day so changed boots.

Never any good at football or rugby so it's not anything like that

It could be tech it could be boot.
I might pop along to a local ski shop and try some boots stick some ski's on them and see if it is somthing physical.
ski holidays
Got on with it ok and was managing to link a few turns together and went down a couple of red runs.

All in all though I realy enjoyed every part of the holiday alot more than I thought I would.
Even tough I spent alot of the time eating snow or on my butt I just got up, laughed at myself and got in with it.

But my now 9 year old loved it and her class were doing reds and half a black by the 3rd day
That's why I'm not going to give up.

Be nice to be able to ski along with her
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
You feel Footloose?

Just kick off your sunday shoes.
ok that made me laugh out loud for real.
snow report
Bit of a thread bump whilst I'm waiting for santa to turn up.

Sounds like it could be any one of the above reasons. Do you have a snowdome nearby where you can go and try / practice both and pick the one you enjoy most ? I had the same symptoms you describe and I 100% had the wrong size boots (over 30mm shell gap) but it was compounded also by being new to the sport. Fitted boots, lessons with insideout and LOTS of time at the snowdome and the kids can't see my dust Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy