Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North American heresy?

Poster: A snowHead
Would it be plain stupid to take a day trip to Mount Baker in the US from Vancouver? Have already skied Grouse and doing Whistler later in the trip but very interested in snowHead views as to whether this is a) doable and b) worth the effort.

Finally, how easy is it to cross the border from and back to Canada by road? Will I need a visa (travelling to Canada from UK and have a valid eta)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowsartre, You would need the US ESTA, and sort taking hire car cross border, unless you hire US side.

Others have done it before, crossing the border but I haven't tbh. Thought about it when at Red but as yet, not done it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its possible. I think you would need an esta for the us border. Might be issues with hire car?

If its worth it depends. Are you looking for a bit of a warmup day or a full on skiing good terrain day? If the first you could try crystal which is no real distance from van. If second baker is probably a better option than crystal or grouse. I think I would just add an extra day at whistler though and save the hassle of going to baker.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boarder2020, do you mean Crystal Mountain BC, or Washington?

Know what you are saying about adding a day to W but would like to experience somewhere else, guess we could wait and see where the snow is.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well worth it especially if Baker is having a typical year. Drive out to Abbotsford and cross at Sumas then down to Maple Falls. Even worth staying over to get 2 days in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am not absolutely certain if this applies in your situation but entering the USA on a private transport eg hire car means you need a proper visa usually a B1 B2.

Plane ferry Greyhound coach or train is OK with an Esta.

Lots of people get caught out sailing into the USVI from the BVI.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UK citizens don’t need visa to visit USA. Shouldn’t matter how you’re coming in on, horse back, skis, bus or private car.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
UK citizens don’t need visa to visit USA. Shouldn’t matter how you’re coming in on, horse back, skis, bus or private car.

I did think you would need at least an ESTA which is sort of a visa-lite. However https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/~/do-i-need-to-apply-for-esta%3F
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im EU citizen and many times rented car in tbe US and driven into Canada & returned & also the other way round rented in Canafa & driven in the US.

No issue
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You get your ESTA online for $14 and it lasts for 2 years so just get that anyway. You only need it for "entry" and it doesn't have to be valid for the duration of your trip. Only at entry.

Mine runs out on the 3rd Dec but I'm flying to PHL on the 1st so already checked that out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did a Whistler/Baker trip and thats exactly what we did - Did a week there and loved MtBaker although it was in terrible snow. Don't forget though, if you're planning on staying down in Glacier (where most do) then it's a good half-hour in the car to get up to the ski area, or a bunk at the lodge up there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In August I flew into Vancouver, collected the prebooked hire car and the following day crossed the border into the US. If you're entering the US by road from Canada you don't actually need an ESTA form, but you still have to fill out the old I-94W paper visa waiver program form (the fee is only $6), they then stick a small stub of the green form in your passport which has to be taken out of your passport when you cross back into Canada as proof that you've left the US.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, and all other snowHead thanks for the prompt replies, I think that a day skiing Mount Baker seems a worthy enterprise as have a decent amount of time in W. Is it true that it's only a 3 hour drive from Vancouver (depending on weather) - or is the border a real slow affair (think post Brexit)....

In ski terms, the consensus seems to be Mount Baker is worth the effort. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
You get your ESTA online for $14 and it lasts for 2 years so just get that anyway. You only need it for "entry" and it doesn't have to be valid for the duration of your trip. Only at entry.

Mine runs out on the 3rd Dec but I'm flying to PHL on the 1st so already checked that out.

Where you headed Bob? Got time for a quick beer? (Am half hour north of Philly)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:

If arriving in the USA or a territory like the USVI or Puerto Rico by private boat or plane you have to have at least a B1/B2 visa.

If you arrive by a registered commercial carrier a visa waiver [ ESTA ] will do.

I know of several instances where entry was refused and the yacht was given 24 hours to leave.
ski holidays
TQA wrote:
abc wrote:

If arriving in the USA or a territory like the USVI or Puerto Rico by private boat or plane you have to have at least a B1/B2 visa.

If you arrive by a registered commercial carrier a visa waiver [ ESTA ] will do.

I know of several instances where entry was refused and the yacht was given 24 hours to leave.

Interesting. However just to re-iterate that in the case of Snowsartre who was asking about driving from Canada across the border to the US then the 1-94W visa waiver program applies (for UK and EU citizens) and if he is just making one visit then at $6 fee it works out somewhat cheaper than an ESTA at $14 (although that is valid for 2 years). Both I-94W and ESTA usually allow you to stay in the US for up to 90 days.

Edit: If you do have an existing ESTA then I believe that when you do a land crossing into the US it may speed things up somewhat as they will print your details out from file. However you still have to be fingerprinted and photographed (as you would when entering via an airport) but my understanding is that they will still charge you a $6 entry processing fee even though you have already paid $14 for the ESTA! (The reason for this is given in the US Embassy website FAQ, quote "This fee is charged to all travelers regardless of whether or not they have a visa. For those entering the United States by air or sea, the fee is included in the cost of their ticket." So if you're just intending making one visit and don't already have an ESTA then definitely cheaper not to get an ESTA but just complete the I-94W form if a few minutes extra time filling out the form isn't a concern. Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-11-17 17:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
dsoutar wrote:
abc wrote:

I did think you would need at least an ESTA which is sort of a visa-lite. However https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/~/do-i-need-to-apply-for-esta%3F

From that web site:

"If you are a citizen of a VWP country, and you are traveling by land to the United States, you do not have to apply for ESTA. "
ski holidays
@abc, May be technically true, but my daughter was refused boarding on a flight to S America, which stopped off in Texas, until she'd bought an ETSA online, even though she had no intention of leaving the airport..
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@abc, May be technically true, but my daughter was refused boarding on a flight to S America, which stopped off in Texas, until she'd bought an ETSA online, even though she had no intention of leaving the airport..

That's because she was in transit through the US by air, for which you definitely need an ESTA, quote "If you are a citizen of a VWP country and arriving by air or sea either as your final destination or "In Transit" do I need to apply for ESTA ?
Yes. You must apply for ESTA even if you are only transiting the U.S."

What abc wrote about not needing an ESTA for entry into the US by land (i.e from Canada or Mexico) is 100% accurate. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Crossing the border just south of Vancouver is dead easy but I would recommend getting an ESTA, its very easy to obtain so why wouldnt you I suspect you will get through the formalities quicker if they are busy at the border, although to be fair these crossings are not generally very busy. Tell the carhire company you are planning in going across the border, there will be no issue but they will probably note it on their records.
ski holidays
@Snowsartre,
Rather than going into the US, with its attendant hassles, why not stay in Canada and try out Mount Washington - the "unknown" ski hill on Vancouver island. Take the ferry from Vancouver across to Nanaimo and it's about a 150 k drive. A real hidden gem.
ski holidays
It's all good, of course, but coastal is coastal, so the answer to the "why not" question is often "because it's drier over there to the right". I don't mean "less rain" (although you get that), just drier snow. There are many "hidden" places though, and so they may they remain so longer I'll not mention any of them.
latest report
Acacia wrote:
@Snowsartre,
Rather than going into the US, with its attendant hassles, why not stay in Canada and try out Mount Washington - the "unknown" ski hill on Vancouver island. Take the ferry from Vancouver across to Nanaimo and it's about a 150 k drive. A real hidden gem.

Or Mt Cain
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy