Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beast toe pieces with kingpin heel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, cost aside for one moment. Can anyone see any issues with combining the Beast 14 toe piece with the Kingpin heel? Not sure if the kingpin toe piece has lateral release like the beast / radical.

If anyone has got any experience with both the beast heel and kingpin heel they'd like to share that would be great.

Thanks all Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Radical 2/Beast 14 toe binding, like all other tech toes (apart from the Fritschi) does not have a lateral release - the bindings have their lateral and vertical release in the heel.

What they do have which the others don't (as it's patented) is a rotary toe which removes the pre-release issue associated with fixed/inline toes & adds considerable elasticity/shock absorption etc.

I've played around with a good number of Frankentechbinding set-ups but I've not tested the a Rad 2/Beast 14 toe with a Kingpin heel for the sole reason that the Kingpin heel runs with true forward pressure like an alpine heel whereas tech heels don't (the Rad 2 heel has a 0.2mm gap and the Beast heel has a 0.2mm gap). Whilst I've not attempted to measure it, I'm assuming that the toe springs on a Kingpin toe are stronger to balance up the force of the forward pressure applied at the heel otherwise the toe would easily prerelease. If my assumption is correct then the Rad 2/Beast 14 toes would be 'under sprung' for use with the Kingpin heel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, thanks heaps @spyderjon, I was hoping you'll weigh in!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@beenative, he know stuff! wink

Jon - awesome set up last weekend on mine, well chuffed thanks buddy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@beenative, Take a look at the new Fritschi Tecton 12, for a Kingpin style heel and lateral release toe.

https://fritschi.swiss/en/products-2/tecton-12/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@beenative, I'm running both the Beast 14 and the Kingpin13, my thoughts:
The Beast is a better free tour binding, and the Kingpin better for all-round touring.
The reasoning is the Beast heel, in conjunction with the rotating toe, has far better elasticity than the Kingpin and I feel offers better retention for the same DIN setting. I've tested both bindings on the bench and while the Kingpin heel is elastic, it's a bit sticky in comparison to the Beast.
The Kingpin however offers a flatter (approach) riser option and the heel risers are far easier to use than the Beast's.
So, my Kingpins are mounted on skis I'll use for a 2-3 hour hike, the Beasts on my powder skis, so if I need to hike in or out on a big pow day I can.
Bottom line:
The Beast is a nicer functioning binding from a retention/release point of view, but it's heel risers let it down, so for those without the luxury of 2 setups, the Kingpins wins Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, ....on the basis that you are primarily touring not free riding presumably?

I run a 16 set up (just onto a new pair after selling a perfectly good pair to a fellow SH because just wanted to use a second pair I’d bought but for no other reason). I never early released out of the old ones nor found them heavy, to the contrary I find them great in all conditions including short 1 hour hikes. If I was planning all day tours I’d maybe look at a kingpin but I’m not so if your into the down not the up I’d thoroughly recommend the Beasts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, yes, the recommendation was for general touring as opposed to free ride/touring in which case I would say the Beast is better, like you, in 3 seasons on the Beast 14 I've not pre-released once Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy