Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance (again)

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got any experience of "Snowcard"? Are they any good? They seem to cover helivac off the slope etc.

If not them; who would you recommend. It's for mainly on piste. Maybe a little playing on the side of the piste, but definitely no hard core or guided tours into the boondocks.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Awdbugga, where are you going? Many resorts offer insurance as an addition to the lift - which CAN be an advantage...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Awdbugga, they were fantastic for me when I broke my leg 4 years ago. The side of the piste is "slack country" in their parlance. Since then though they have made it more difficult to cover pre-existing conditions.You need Adventure Plus for alpine skiing and off-piste with or without a guide is covered. Interestingly snowboarding is not covered till you get an Adventure Max policy. Do a search on here and there is lots about them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IME, Snowcard are fine for ski insurance as long as you don’t have any pre-existing conditions as per @holidayloverxx’s, comments. Their underwriting is inconsistent and they also inaccurately recorded my statements. I gave up with them and now use Nationwide’s cover with a premium paid to cover the pre-existing conditions. I believe they use Direct Line for this and their medical team seem to be very competent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As others have said I stopped using snowcard when they stopped covering pre existing conditions. I now use the the BMC who offer good cover for all mountain based activities. The insurance companies do not care if you are doing "hard core" or just off the side of the piste. To them it is the same risk.

However, if you are simply after piste cover you could, as @under a new name, says just get carte neige or the same offered in almost every ski resort for locals.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always find this interesting... I have 'free' (ha ha) insurance with my bank account. I had a look at it today, in the light of the thread. I am an old git who only does piste skiing (though the insurer will cover me for off piste with a guide).

Do I need more?

Ta

CG

(PS: My Sis died in Jan, one day before I was due to set off skiing. AXA (via Lloyd's) were brilliant)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Awdbugga, best say this is to cover Italy as folk are recommending carte neige, which is france. Italy may have similar, I don't know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, all of Italy? Or one resort?

E.g. the Aosta stations offer http://www.snowcare.it/ at €3 per day. Advantage is that as long as you follow the rules (report accidents to the mountain staff first, let them handle from then on) you don't have to fork out for anything.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, birthday bash so Arabba
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From their website http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/your-holiday/ski-insurance
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm booked onto the birthday bash. The only pre existing condition I have, other than a grumpy disposition (according to my wife), is a touch of sciatica. But it hasn't stopped me doing numerous all day sessions at the CF. A couple of Paracetamols and an application of Rule 5, and I'm good to go. I guess I should still mention it though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Awdbugga, MPI get well regarded if you need actual travel insurance.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charliegolf wrote:
Always find this interesting... I have 'free' (ha ha) insurance with my bank account. I had a look at it today, in the light of the thread. I am an old git who only does piste skiing (though the insurer will cover me for off piste with a guide).

Do I need more?

Ta

CG

(PS: My Sis died in Jan, one day before I was due to set off skiing. AXA (via Lloyd's) were brilliant)

Sorry to hear that CG, its good that AXA were helpful at that time.

I canned Snowcard as I have a hip resurfacing and their pre-existing conditions stuff was garbage.

MPI were helpful so I have gone with them since.

However they ask one daft question - something along the lines of "can you think of any reason why you might have to curtail your trip?"

My dad is terminal (has had that diagnosis for 2 years, but is in end stage now) so I guess the answer is yes, but that will make me uninsurable 3 months ahead of the trip !!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone have any experience of AssurSki Insurance (http://www.assurski.fr/snow-card)? I believe that this is different from the UK 'Snowcard' (https://www.snowcard.co.uk/) mentioned above. It appears to be very good value at 49.99 euros/year and gives better cover than Carre Neige or Carte Neige (http://www.assurski.fr/compare-ski-insurance).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see snowcard and dogtag in the same realm as generally a v good reputation for extreme sports. However you basically intend to ski on piste so may well get away absolutely fine with something more mainstream like the banks provide. I used one through work last winter and they were very good with claims presented.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Awdbugga, MPI get well regarded if you need actual travel insurance.

+1 for MPI
snow report
@Charliegolf,
Hi CB I thought I had this but I just found out today that it wont be free once I hit 70 years young, I'm really pissed at them.

Which bank are you with? I may change.
snow report
@DrLawn, from the last line of his post it appears to be AXA thru Lloyds
snow report
Questions about whether you have any relatives under medical care, experiencing treatment, in a condition which might cause curtailment drive me completely mad. Anyone over about 50 is likely to have one or more elderly parents or very close relatives who could but probably wont pass away between the date, or purchase of, the insurance or the end of a relevant holiday. Thats life and it shouldnt be a reason for heavily loading a policy or denying cover. Most elderly (and I really mean elderly - say 80+) people are under the care of a medical practitioner and probably taking life preserving medication and this shouldnt be a reason for insurers to load individuals policies IMHO.
snow conditions
@FFIRMIN, I have reached the age when I am the elderly relative who could pass away so that is not the problem. I have been able to get insurance to cover my skiing from the AA at not too exorbitant cost. I guess at 73 I have to pay a bit of premium even without any significant existing conditions.
latest report
Kamikaze Pete wrote:
I see snowcard and dogtag in the same realm as generally a v good reputation for extreme sports. However you basically intend to ski on piste so may well get away absolutely fine with something more mainstream like the banks provide.

This although I'd replace dogtag with MPI these days. But yes, if just piste skiing it's no big deal.
latest report
I went with Snowcard. Cover looks comprehensive and I thought the premium was reasonable.
latest report
'Standard' insurance through the bank, AAC for the rest of it.

The latter I can't rate highly enough, neither can my missus .......... wink
snow conditions
Awdbugga wrote:
I went with Snowcard. Cover looks comprehensive and I thought the premium was reasonable.

Bit surprised you think they are on the cheap side.

Is this a one week policy or annual? Europe?

What is the premium from Snowcard?
ski holidays
have been insured by MPI last couple years but their renewal cost for this year has gone up from £197 to £311 for
same Worldwide policy , has anyone else had this? though they are still cheaper than snowcard & BMC , the SCGB ski insurance
looks better so may check this out
latest report
Layne wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

Bit surprised you think they are on the cheap side.

Is this a one week policy or annual? Europe?

What is the premium from Snowcard?

One week only- Europe. "Adventure Plus"; which covers for on and off piste without a guide (not that I'll be doing that) £41 premium.

I may have been able to get cheaper elsewhere, but if I put a price on my time searching for ages and getting quotes - - I probably wouldn't have saved much.
snow report
nelly0168 wrote:
However they ask one daft question - something along the lines of "can you think of any reason why you might have to curtail your trip?" ....My dad is terminal (has had that diagnosis for 2 years, but is in end stage now) so I guess the answer is yes, but that will make me uninsurable 3 months ahead of the trip !!!

Not necessarily. You probably won't be able to get insurance for loss arising from cancellation / curtailment in the event of your dad passing away. But if you accept that exclusion you can still be insured for everything else (medical emergency, public liability etc). How much would it cost to get back in an emergency from wherever you plan to be?

FFIRMIN wrote:
Questions about whether you have any relatives under medical care, experiencing treatment, in a condition which might cause curtailment drve me completely mad. Anyone over about 50 is likely to have one or more elderly parents or very close relatives who could but probably wont pass away between the date, or purchase of, the insurance or the end of a relevant holiday. Thats life and it shouldnt be a reason for heavily loading a policy or denying cover.

Insurance is for unexpected or low probability events. Once something becomes a much higher probability the expected claim cost goes up - so either cover has to be excluded or someone has to pay for it. Why should everyone else pay more when only certain individuals are more likely to claim? Everyone has the choice of paying for a (possibly much) more expensive policy with fewer exclusions.
ski holidays
ecureuil wrote:
... Insurance is for unexpected or low probability events. Once something becomes a much higher probability the expected claim cost goes up - so either cover has to be excluded or someone has to pay for it. Why should everyone else pay more when only certain individuals are more likely to claim? Everyone has the choice of paying for a (possibly much) more expensive policy with fewer exclusions.

Indeed: insurance is a rational business model. The punters aren't rational however, hence much whining.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowxxx wrote:
have been insured by MPI last couple years but their renewal cost for this year has gone up from £197 to £311 for
same Worldwide policy , has anyone else had this? though they are still cheaper than snowcard & BMC , the SCGB ski insurance
looks better so may check this out

Sorry about that, that'll be on account of the taxi ride to Bolzano I claimed on MPI last season. There was a meter and when we arrived I was beginning to wonder what the meter does when it goes past 999...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy