Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to find apartments

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, first time poster here.

I'm looking around for an apartment to stay in from 24th-31st December.

Aside from Homeaway does anyone have a good site to find apartments?

EDIT (to include more info from below):
"More info:
We have a group of 4 but need 3 rooms (one pair is a couple and the other pair are friends (guy/girl). The guy friend is a loud snorer so they can't share, plus privacy). So need at least one double (or twin) room, a single (or twin) room, and sofa bed, or space in the living room to move a mattress into (snore guy doesn't mind moving into the main room).

Looking at package prices, compared to my research, it's much cheaper and more flexible to book it separately myself. So I'm on the hunt for alternative websites to find these apartments."

Thanks for any help.
George.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-11-17 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gsmyth555, It depends where you are going of course but the resort's own web site is usually very comprehensive and is always where I goto first.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gsmyth555, depends where you're going. Tourist Office doesn't list all available accommodation of course, I'm not on the tourist office website, as they failed to turn up to both the appointments I made with them to inspect the apartment. Link in my signature below. There's also AirBnB and Booking.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. I assumed the tourist ones would be more expensive, we're after anywhere near a cheap (sub £120) flight from London. £115/night or £200 each total.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
put les menuires into booking.com. There is an appt in your budget, no idea if you will get flights though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gsmyth555, do you mean you are looking for a package? When are you planning to travel? Most French resort websites will include some very cheap and basic studio apartments rented by agencies or individuals. Most French apartments are rented Saturday - Saturday. Precisely when flights will be most expensive. Maybe you could expand a bit on what you are looking for?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure - I thought a broad brushstroke question would be best as I'm after an apartment only. Flight prices are best on 24th-31st December.
More info:
We have a group of 4 but need 3 rooms (one pair is a couple and the other pair are friends (guy/girl). The guy friend is a loud snorer so they can't share, plus privacy). So need at least one double (or twin) room, a single (or twin) room, and sofa bed, or space in the living room to move a mattress into (snore guy doesn't mind moving into the main room).

Looking at package prices, compared to my research, it's much cheaper and more flexible to book it separately myself. So I'm on the hunt for alternative websites to find these apartments.

Thank you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
good luck!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.interhome.com/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It may be better to go for 2 apartments. Sunday to Sunday is generally possible but remebr the agencies will be knocking off very early on Christmas and New Year's eve. A very quick glance gave this apartment

https://www.lesarcs-reservation.com/en/apartments/arc-1600/2-bedroom-apartment-for-7-people-residence-cachette-n-775-13-1298-fp.html?fromFP=1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, not much going in terms of dates on those two, but I'll keep checking the resort listings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
learn to use google.fr & the word gites.
On some gites websites, if you switch to english language, a lot of choices disappear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gsmyth555, we have used www.lastationdeski.com for this coming seasons trip (les menuires), they also do deals for ski hire/lift passes etc.

happy hunting

terry
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gsmyth555, i’m afraid it’s not a helpful comment but your Sun-Sun flights are cheap because accommodation is harder to find...

Airbnb?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ice and Fire ski do catered Chalets often with no single supplement at La Plagne. It's probably worth a look at their website as we usually self cater but I found them to be good value and a great company to deal with
snow conditions
As mentioned, one approach is just to email some Tourist Offices with what you're requirements are and see what comes back. The TO in our village is very responsive, but I know that not all are. They will also usually have some local owners on their books who don't have an internet site. These are often cheaper as you're not paying an intermediate's fee. But make sure you provide all the requisite details and price expectations etc.

The cost of transfer is also going to be a big factor, so perhaps somewhere with a good choice of transfer options. Some places are much easier/cheaper to get to by train and public transport than others. Even if car hire is still cheaper it's useful to know there are alternatives.
snow report
snowtrex
sunweb

Odalys (not recommended but if you are in hole) or Pierre et Vacances (relatively expensive)

But ultimately direct (via tourist info lists) and local agencies (agence immobilière) are the best options IME
snow conditions
I have used these guys very varied listings. https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en?currency=GBP

But going direct is usually cheaper just more hassle and very time consuming with little redress if it all goes wrong.
ski holidays
Maybe try posting in the solution's room with chalets direct? (quite a few chalet companies have access to apartments)
snow conditions
You will struggle to find accommodation because Sunday 31st means that the apartment cannot then be let for the New Year week - the most lucrative of the season.

You might do best to rent an apartment for the week from 23rd, then move out of it, and down into a valley hotel for 30th December. That would work if you were hiring a car - which would be the cheapest way to get your group between Geneva and the resort anyway. But you'd need to vacate the apartment by 10 am, probably - so some organisation needed to ski for that last day.

Be aware that traffic out from Geneva airport to the Bardonnex border will be very heavy on Christmas Eve. I did it once... Skullie
ski holidays
The TO and local agencies in Chamonix are absolutely not, for sure, the best idea.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
The TO and local agencies in Chamonix are absolutely not, for sure, the best idea.

Why?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy