Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is ski waxing dead?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DPS skis claims that it has a one time treatment that eliminates the need for ski waxing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dpsskis/phantom-permanent-base-glide-treatment-for-skis-an/description

at the same time Leonid Kuzmin, from the world of nordic skiing says waxing is redundant and all you need is to scrape your skis once in a while to add structure.

http://sciencenordic.com/better-skiing-without-wax

Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
see

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133726
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure I'd say "at the same time" - Kuzmin's thesis was from about 6 years ago. However, there does seem to me to be a gap between science and perception when it comes to waxing...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have not waxed skis in 20 years
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:

But you don't have tome to ski...... with all your posting about how poo-poo the UK is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdave wrote:
...Kuzmin's thesis was from about 6 years ago...

2006: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Leonid_Kuzmin3/publication/228536637_Investigation_of_the_most_essential_factors_influencing_ski_glide/links/586618bf08ae6eb871af41a8/Investigation-of-the-most-essential-factors-influencing-ski-glide.pdf

His work was on Nordic skis which, typically, don't get as much care as Alpine ones. My take from it is that a waxed ski will initially run faster but will soon pick up crap that sticks to the wax. After a few days this makes the waxed ski run slower.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:

Neither have I - I always get an expert to do it for me NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowdave wrote:
I'm not sure I'd say "at the same time" - Kuzmin's thesis was from about 6 years ago. However, there does seem to me to be a gap between science and perception when it comes to waxing...

Just to give you an definition of the filler phrase "at the same time"

Quote:
nevertheless (used to introduce a fact that should be taken into account).
"I can't really explain it, but at the same time I'm not convinced"
synonyms: nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, however, but, still, yet, though, be that as it may, for all that, in spite of that/everything, despite that/everything, after everything, having said that, just the same, all the same, in any event, come what may, at any rate, notwithstanding, regardless, anyway, anyhow; More

In other words, Kuzmin says that both Nordic and Alpine skis need no or little treatment just scraping with a structure tool rather than a special treatment as DPS claims.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dsoutar wrote:
stanton wrote:

Neither have I - I always get an expert to do it for me NehNeh

Laughing Neither have I - I switched to snowboards well before then.

Heli operators wax their skis every evening. Perhaps they know something.

The last few seasons lots of people seem to be using "structured" wax bases.

Personally if I ride at a resort I just feel the board slowing down after about three days, depending on conditions. It's not something I think about, but when I feel it, I get my board re-waxed and then I don't feel it for the next few days.

If conditions are particularly cold, then if I don't switch to cold wax, my board feels even slower than it needs to be. Wax definitely works.

I get that this is a proposed alternative... I think I'll watch the world cup guys, and when they stop waxing their boards I'll do what they do, but otherwise I'm a little sceptical.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It seems a bit weird as they claim it will need a periodic base grind to refresh it... I've got skis ive waxed and never base ground. I think I will keep it like that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dsoutar wrote:
see

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133726

Yes thanks. Not always easy to find prior threads on snowheads.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting article, although I am not buying it. Looks like a big marketing campaign by DPS, who have chucked a bunch on money at some ski magazines to write an article for them. If the benefit were really that good, I'm pretty sure the World Cup ski racers, who livlihood is based on their skis running as fast as possible, would be using this. As far as I'm aware, every major ski racer has an old school ski tech testing out a boat load of iron on waxes.

The sustainability point is a good one, but there are waxes out there which are environmentally friendly - Butta etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@joeyg, Exactly.............. This is nothing more than rebranded automotive "quartz" sealant/coating. That's all that it is..........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No doubt it will come, probably in the shape of some completely new base material, but not yet IMHO. I am sceptical about the claims made by DPS.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Posted this over 10 years ago.

"waxing skis is a waste of time..."

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23940&sid=5202a76346c18e1fd0b6bfa432401591
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy